Sun Princess: feeling jerked around by the bidding process

IUSteve

It's weird that deck plans weren't available when you booked, because in my experience, they are made available at the time a ship goes on sale. And just based on the process, they would have to be available in order to book through the Princess website. 
Either way, it does seem unlikely that you would be assigned a wheelchair stateroom if you don't need one, but it is not impossible. If you booked through a travel agent you'll need to go back to them for assistance. 
As far as customer service being outsourced and terrible, get used to it. I have it on good authority that over the last year Princess has, and continues to, let go of quite a number of full time employees from various departments in favor of offshore contract employees. 
Good luck! 

Posted (edited)

Yes,  there must be more to this story...   While deck plans might have been incomplete, the cabins and categories should already be showing when bookings begin. 

To the OP,  I have no idea how you ended up with a guarantee in this category, when there seems to be considerable availability in Deluxe Balconies, and Mini-Suites in different types of perk levels.

But, it is past final payment, and this is where you are....

The thing is,  Princess just announced a whole new re-categorization of many cabins, with a good number of mini-suites now being SANCTUARY MINI-SUITES.    

With all of this going on, it is probably throwing a huge screw in the works when it comes to processing these upgrades.

As mentioned, perhaps you shouldn't put so much weight on those bid notices you have received.

There is availability on the ship....

I would reconsider any bids, and withdraw or change them if you need to.

With this kind of availability, there should be no problem with winning your upgrade.

Again, it is too bad that the sailing is now past final payment, so you can't simply change to a slightly better Deluxe Balcony category cabin.   

How much would your cancellation cost you if you were to cancel today, and rebook another available cabin?????

At the very least, you have a 50/50 chance of getting one of these cabins on deck 16, and not the ones on the lower deck with the metal railing.

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 4/24/2024 at 5:12 PM, JamieLogical said:

I do not believe the OP wants/needs an accessible cabin. When they booked a GTY, the lowest deluxe balcony cabin category it was not defined as accessible cabins as the deck plans had not been released. Now the concern is because they are booked into an "accessible cabin category" they can only upgraded to another accessible cabin category, which the OP does not want or need and limits their upgrade options.

Right, thank you. It would be nice if people read and understood as you have.

Posted (edited)

Yes,  we do understand!   As bits of info have been offered.

I just edited this post, because I looked, just out of curiosity, and it seems that this cruise is now showing Sold Out.

You might have had more opportunities to get another cabin if you had known this earlier, before Final Payment.

I do not know if you will have any luck with your bidding?  As nobody knows.

Your chances are probably slim if the system is set to only upgrade to another accessible cabin.   (It is awful that any accessible cabin would have metal railing, as somebody probably couldn't see over when seated.

I think you still have a 50/50 chance of getting one of those cabins, on the higher deck, that does have glass.   And, you can always go to Customer Service upon boarding, and see if there is any chance that they can help you.

Edited by Wishing on a star

7 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes,  we do understand!   As bits of info have been offered.

I just edited this post, because I looked, just out of curiosity, and it seems that this cruise is now showing Sold Out.

You might have had more opportunities to get another cabin if you had known this earlier, before Final Payment.

I do not know if you will have any luck with your bidding?  As nobody knows.

Your chances are probably slim if the system is set to only upgrade to another accessible cabin.   (It is awful that any accessible cabin would have metal railing, as somebody probably couldn't see over when seated.

I think you still have a 50/50 chance of getting one of those cabins, on the higher deck, that does have glass.   And, you can always go to Customer Service upon boarding, and see if there is any chance that they can help you.

The bidding system doesn't recognize the need for accessible cabins.  If you are in an accessible cabin & bid you get whatever is available.  I know this as we need an accessible cabin unless it is a suite as my husband needs a shower he can sit in & not a tub.  So we can't bid on anything less.

On the Sun all balcony category lead in level (DF) are accessible. So when you purchase a balcony guarantee that is what shows. Very few of them so not many, if any, guarantee bookings will get assigned them. Most if not all DF should be booked directly by those that actually need them.     

If this is for a summer Med cruise, then there is almost no chance you'll actually end up in a DF (as someone else said). The Princess summer Med schedule has each seven-night segment made up of six different cruises as marketed (the current 7 nights, the first week of a 14 night cruse, the second week of a 14 night cruise, and three 21 night cruises (one each from Rome, Athens, and Barcelona). Cabins are fixed for the season as to which marketing cruise they'll allocated so I assume that each of those six cabin allocations contains only one DF. It will go to someone who needs an accessible cabin.

Data point: We took a move over offer off today's departure from Rome and will go next Spring instead. We had a DF guarantee. When the move over department was done, we had an assigned DE cabin for next year (and hoping it will be upgraded from there).

• Like 1