How do I turn off the automatic spellcheck (auto change spelling) feature when typing a reply?

3 minutes ago, Cruizer Diana said:

How do I turn off the automatic spellcheck (auto change spelling) feature when typing a reply? Words have been automatically changed up to three times after i changed them back to what I wanted.

Diana

That isn’t part of Cruise Critic. It is your computer, tablet or phone that is auto-correcting. You have to turn it off there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

That isn’t part of Cruise Critic. It is your computer, tablet or phone that is auto-correcting. You have to turn it off there. 

It is turned off in MS Word and Excel. I only have this happen with CC.

1 hour ago, Cruizer Diana said:

How do I turn off the automatic spellcheck (auto change spelling) feature when typing a reply? Words have been automatically changed up to three times after i changed them back to what I wanted.

Diana

Not knowing the device, operating system, or browser used it's not possible to answer the question.

14 hours ago, broberts said:

Not knowing the device, operating system, or browser used it's not possible to answer the question.

MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.7.3, Safari. However, I never have spell check automatically change text as I type on any online or offline situation--just CC.

14 hours ago, Cruizer Diana said:

It is turned off in MS Word and Excel. I only have this happen with CC.

I think the auto spellcheck in Safari got turned back on--perhaps through an update. I had it turned off.

Still odd that it only became a problem with Cc.

Hopefully, this fixes the problem.

5 hours ago, Cruizer Diana said:

I think the auto spellcheck in Safari got turned back on--perhaps through an update. I had it turned off.

Still odd that it only became a problem with Cc.

Hopefully, this fixes the problem.

Yep, if spellcheck is turned on in Safari then Safari will spellcheck. By the way MacOS is currently on version 14.3  Perhaps your MacBook does not support older versions? Security updates are still issued though for some older versions. There was a security update 5 days ago to for MacOS 12 to 12.7.3 for those who are using an older version. Very good that you updated. Possibly that icould be when it got turned back on but spell check is not turned on by default in Safari so that is not what is supposed to happen.

Edited by Charles4515

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Yep, if spellcheck is turned on in Safari then Safari will spellcheck. By the way MacOS is currently on version 14.3  Perhaps your MacBook does not support older versions? Security updates are still issued though for some older versions. There was a security update 5 days ago to for MacOS 12 to 12.7.3 for those who are using an older version. Very good that you updated. Possibly that icould be when it got turned back on but spell check is not turned on by default in Safari so that is not what is supposed to happen.

Thank you for the security update suggestion. I just updated a few days ago. I checked again for updates just now. My Mac says it is up-to-date and I can't upgrade to a newer OS. It wasn't the newest model available at the time. I preferred the ports offered on this model of MacBook over the newer version and so now need to decide when to bite the bullet and get a new Mac. Love this Mac and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble....unlike the replace-every-two years HP laptops (and awful Windows) I've had in the past.

The spellcheck on Safari was the culprit. Don't know what turned it back on recently, because I always set preferences to suggest--not change spelling. But, thanks to you on this forum, the problem is resolved.

Thank you. Diana

• Like 1