Boston or JFK on Virgin Atlantic

gorda

Hi a question about flight cancelations. JFK has several flights on Virgin to LHR on Nov 18, 2024 Boston has one. Coming from Florida to visit family in Boston before European transatlantic. Would you advise flying from JFK where more flights are available if flight is cancelled or is Virgin a good bet except for weather or unforeseen circumstances. 

Virgin is just fine. I wouldn't plan your trip around the (very) small chance that the flight is cancelled. Just do what's most convenient, which sounds like Boston. 

That being said...do you have a reason to restrict yourself to Virgin? There are a few airlines flying that route - Virgin, Delta, British Airways, Jetblue. If you're up for an early morning, British Airways has a particularly appealing morning departure that gets you to London by dinner time and sleep in a real bed that evening...I highly recommend daytime flights to London. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gorda said:

Virgin a good bet except for weather or unforeseen circumstances

Virgin is a good bet, but I would still recommend flying into London at least a day or two ahead in case of issues with your flights even though the probability of outright cancellation is very low.

44 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I highly recommend daytime flights to London. 

This reminds me of when I was a "journeyman" management consultant years ago. We had a saying back then that only partners and gentlemen flew during the day...    

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, gorda said:

partners

In this context, I meant those people who had an ownership interest in the company and made almost all the money as opposed to the staff who flew economy on red eyes.

Edited by SelectSys

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

This reminds me of when I was a "journeyman" management consultant years ago. We had a saying back then that only partners and gentlemen flew during the day...    

Isn't the day flight called "the Chairman's flight"?

5 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Virgin is just fine. I wouldn't plan your trip around the (very) small chance that the flight is cancelled. Just do what's most convenient, which sounds like Boston. 

That being said...do you have a reason to restrict yourself to Virgin? There are a few airlines flying that route - Virgin, Delta, British Airways, Jetblue. If you're up for an early morning, British Airways has a particularly appealing morning departure that gets you to London by dinner time and sleep in a real bed that evening...I highly recommend daytime flights to London. 

Plus one on this.  I often fly to Boston just so I can fly across in the day time.  

On 4/26/2024 at 3:23 PM, SelectSys said:

As an independent contractor, the perk is that I can pick any damn flight I want 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

As an independent contractor, the perk is that I can pick any damn flight I want 🙂

As a contractor, my strategy varied whether my expenses were bundled in the rate or reimbursed.  That said, I never wanted to lay my customers away of expenses beyond their cultural norms.