Sargrassum wesr bay

Krazcruiser

We were there last Thursday.  Not one small piece of sargassum noted at Tabayana.  Water was fantastic.  I am sure they clean the beach shoreline in the morning if any accumulates during the night, but we saw nothing.

In contrast, there was plenty on some Costa Maya Beaches same week.  Not like an insane amount, but some piled up on the beach shore and pieces floating in the water every few feet.  Some areas that had not been cleaned were thick with sargassum and stank.

On 5/9/2024 at 10:04 PM, #1TravelMom said:

We've been going the for 15+years, I've never seen seaweed in Wesr Bay. The water is crystal clear. Screenshot_20240213_204101_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6240dbd725e8c7118b541a3ed5064f6f.jpg

That sea grass has been a problem a time or two over the years.  I agree it is not often but asking is always a good idea.  

Posted (edited)

Given the name of the Bay I am sure sargassum is intermittent and weather related.

There is a You tube video showing sargassum being cleared from West Bay in 2023 so it does happen at times.

Also https://www.mexicanist.com/l/honduras-seaweed-sargassum/

You can follow the sargassum monitoring site for updates for the island and other places generally.

I have found seagrass to be a problem several places on Roatan.

Edited by c-leg5