HAL Platinum Protection Plan

15 minutes ago, Billthekid said:

During the pandemic, HAL would let you cancel and the paid-in funds would be deposit into your account for a later cruise within one year.  No refund would be issued.  In our case, they failed to deposit the funds, which was corrected ten months later giving us and extra year to take a cruise.  Since HAL will provide no refund, I was wondering how the insurance company would handle the payment for canceling for any reason.  Would they convert my future nonrefundable credits to cash, or redeposit the credits.  So if I wanted my credits back, buy the insurance and then cancel.  I would be out the premium.  The policy does not mention how the funding of the cancelation would occur. 

Canceling happens pre-cruise, so at that point you get a refund ($) from HAL. At the time your trip starts HAL converts the CPP to an insurance policy, and if you have a covered loss, you seek reimbursement from the insurance company.

And you are correct - if you exercise your CCP you do not get back the cost. So for Platinum is about 80% of your fare returned. (Platinum costs about 10% and returns 90%).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Go to the link posted in #16 above, scroll down and select your state. Then click and download your policy information.

(ETA: I apologize for my repetitive questions. It seems two threads were merged into this thread and my questions were already asked).

Thank you — I found the policy info for our state.

Our cruise invoice does list the purchase of the CPP Platinum Plan, but there is no policy number listed & we were never sent one. Is this generally provided? Thank you. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

We have had funds on deposit since 12/22 from canceling a cruise during the pandemic.  It was a use-or-lose situation with an expiration date of August 28, 2024.  I was just curious if we booked a cruise, bought the insurance, and then canceled for any reason would our deposit convert to cash, or would the funds return to HAL with an expiration date of August 28.  How are future cruise credits handled. 

14 hours ago, smokesmom said:

Over the years, my husband and I have both been to the infirmary on different HAL ships. We had the Platinum Plan each time. Our on-board account was charged for the services each time. I always requested the detailed printout of the infirmary services before we left the ship (small extra charge). When we returned home, I had to submit the charges to our primary health insurance first and wait to see if the primary insurance would reimburse us or not. If the primary insurance denied the claim, I would then submit the claim and the denial paperwork to the Platinum Plan to finally receive the reimbursement. I find it a lengthy process.

I take a variety of over-the-counter medications/supplies with us on the trips.

I suspected that might be the case and that the information I got over the phone might not be accurate.  I'm quite sure our insurance won't cover it and I'm a bulldog when it comes to paperwork and follow-through, so at least we know we're covered even if it won't be easy.  We are traveling with an infant in our group so felt it very important to have that medical coverage in place.

13 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

We purchased the platinum plan through our HAL PCC. I don’t recall receiving any information from her about the plan following our purchase — not the policy itself, declarations page nor policy number.

The CPP info is part of your HAL booking confirmation (It has its own page). All the contact info is there, including links to the policy details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

The CPP info is part of your HAL booking confirmation (It has its own page). All the contact info is there, including links to the policy details.

Aligned with this @Ileneilene123 you will not receive anything separately - you need to follow the links in your booking confirmation. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Aligned with this @Ileneilene123 you will not receive anything separately - you need to follow the links in your booking confirmation. 

Thank you very much! 

• Thanks 1