HAL Platinum Protection Plan

I have purchased the HAL protection travel plan . Will I be sent a policy ? I have the confirmation but not sure how it works . It is quite a ways from my voyage .  Anyone else had experience with the HAL insurance ? Thank You !

No, I don't believe you will be sent a policy unless you ask for it.  Did you check on the HAL website?  I know they have a summary but there may be a link to the full policy.  If not, ask whomever you booked with to get you a copy.

Can I ask, why did you purchase it so far in advance of your cruise?  I usually purchase just before final payment.  That way, if something comes up that I need to cancel, I'm not out the cost of the insurance.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

I have purchased the HAL protection travel plan . Will I be sent a policy ? I have the confirmation but not sure how it works . It is quite a ways from my voyage .  Anyone else had experience with the HAL insurance ? Thank You !

You can get it via this page:

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/HAL_LandingPage.html

The link to this page is on HAL’s website here:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan

2 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

No, I don't believe you will be sent a policy unless you ask for it.  Did you check on the HAL website?  I know they have a summary but there may be a link to the full policy.  If not, ask whomever you booked with to get you a copy.

Can I ask, why did you purchase it so far in advance of your cruise?  I usually purchase just before final payment.  That way, if something comes up that I need to cancel, I'm not out the cost of the insurance.

Every time I have purchased it I printed a copy from HAL’s website and taken it with me “IN CASE ”

• Like 2

I purchased it in advance from the website because when I was dealing with a TA she said I had to purchase in a few days from booking or I couldn't get it . I let her go( TA) for some other reasons and booked direct. 

FWIW, you can wait until final payment to add the plan. There's no cost difference. As long as you book it refundable deposit fare, you can wait.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

Okay thanks ..I have learned something for the future . I'm Caregiving / Caretaking my 96 yo mother and anything could come up ..she will be 98 by the time of this voyage

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha Archipelago!

So enjoy your time on this wonderful cruise with your mother in the future. Brian @POA1 is right and am glad you let this TA go!! Maybe she was wanting a bigger commission! Who knows. Now next time you know about HAL insurance 

and always wait till final payment.

🌺Mahlo,

Denise🙂

1 hour ago, Archipelago said:

Okay thanks ..I have learned something for the future . I'm Caregiving / Caretaking my 96 yo mother and anything could come up ..she will be 98 by the time of this voyage

I totally understand.  I’m caregiving for my DM who is not in the best of health.  It’s good to have a cruise to look forward too, isn’t it?!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Actually, I believe you must purchase 24 hours or more before final payment. Check the wording.

….”The CPP Platinum Plan is optional and available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Also, if you're booking with a non refundable deposit, you must buy the HAL insurance at the time of your deposit. This would include booking the bare bones, 'best price' fare on the website which does not include HIA (I think that thd one with HIA is called the 'best value' fare and its deposit is refundable therefore you can wait till just before final payment to purchase the insurance). If you want a refundable deposit, a later insurance purchase, but not HIA, you have to call in to a TA or HAL and ask for the 'advantage fare'. 

Edited by yerdua

Yeah... read the fine print...
There are rules about purchasing before the _first_ non-refundable amount occurs.
There are also rules about the lookback period for pre-existing conditions that can be impacted by delaying until final payment.