LIVE: British Isle Explorer - May 9, 2024 - Neptune

Sunday in Edinburgh. On our own.

Beyond tickets to The King's Gallery we had no plans of what else we wanted to see or do today.  We also had no idea how much energy we had.

Newhaven is a tender port but it is so much better than docking in Rosyth. Today was a good day for tendering.

We grabbed a cab to take us to the King Gallery at the Palace of Holyroodhouse .  The cab stand is on the main road right behind the shuttle buses.it dropped us just past the front door. The Gallery does not display a fixed collection but rather puts together themed exhibitions from the artworks and artifacts owned by the Royal Family.

Until September it focusing on fashion styles of the Georgian period. So it isn't just paintings but actual clothing worn by the Royals. DH wasn't as enthusiastic as I was but the again I read Georgette Heyer novels and he doesn't. 20240519_110859.thumb.jpg.1a0cd0db3e8e0143eea7ee2c9ca37a2c.jpg20240519_111617.thumb.jpg.969c95d4ce8d518b04e6e0f5c96c16d1.jpg20240519_110758.thumb.jpg.71d8849915befc6715b0c215c9b76c2c.jpg20240519_111850.thumb.jpg.5454a3514ef3d92660dea1e0a7e91ffe.jpg20240519_111956.thumb.jpg.c39c3210bd0ea476a478a21ed826f562.jpg20240519_112423.thumb.jpg.4a63092205699fb21256a2dd93b8221c.jpg

Then we decided that we wanted to walk and so we did.  The King's Gallery is at one end of the Royal Mile and would get us where we wanted to go. We were not in a hurry. We shopped a few windows. We took pictures (sorry, not on this camera). Our ultimate goal was either the Portrait Gallery or the tram; we were still deciding.  

In the end, it was the tram not the Gallery.  We had had a good invigorating walk. Seen a lot of New Town and we were done. Out of steam.

Tram vs Viking shuttle? It depends.  The nearest tram stop plus the walk from the Newhaven terminus to the tender dock was much less than the walk to Charlotte Square.   The tram runs every few minutes.  It cost 2 BPS; buy on the platform before you board the tram else pay a penalty price for buying on the train.  Pay cash or credit card.  Because of the distance to Charlotte Square from where were near Waverley Station, the tram was a much better option.

And that was our day in Edinburgh.

• Like 6

We had a bit more traditional day in Edinburgh.  We took the included tour to get us up to the castle, then headed out on our own.  Saw the tourist sights, a parade (sorry, no pix) and Greyfriar’s Bobby, a favorite.  IMG_7169.thumb.jpeg.6fd75e7414183c1e6be903d52295d4e1.jpegIMG_7157.thumb.jpeg.4ac22f3b35b7d8f083ae6d9a96ac029e.jpegIMG_7133.thumb.jpeg.c9a829263bdbfd78a61c8c11c48848d7.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

I think we were about 3 feet apart as I discussed the map with the volunteer who showed up to see how things were going; if she said her name,  I didn't catch it. A tall purple (thistle?) T-shirt walked up to help others as we were talking; I'm guessing that was you. Darn! I would have introduced myself.  If it helps, I was in a black and red plaid sweater-jacket, no pigtails 😉.

Kudos to the information team and all the other friendly faces greeting us on the dock. Many thanks to them all.

Now, down to business. I was thinking of you as we were walking up the Royal Mile and kept seeing kilted bagpipers and school bands walking up the hill. I could not help wonder if it was normal Sunday activity or something special? Any insight? TIA

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think we were about 3 feet apart as I discussed the map with the volunteer who showed up to see how things were going; if she said her name,  I didn't catch it. A tall purple (thistle?) T-shirt walked up to help others as we were talking; I'm guessing that was you. Darn! I would have introduced myself.  If it helps, I was in a black and red plaid sweater-jacket, no pigtails 😉.

Kudos to the information team and all the other friendly faces greeting us on the dock. Many thanks to them all.

Now, down to business. I was thinking of you as we were walking up the Royal Mile and kept seeing kilted bagpipers and school bands walking up the hill. I could not help wonder if it was normal Sunday activity or something special? Any insight? TIA

Yesterday saw the start of the General Assembly of The Church of Scotland - basically an annual conference of church ministers and kirk elders.  https://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/about-us/general-assembly  They had a service at St Giles Cathedral this morning, and will meet in Assembly Hall - the imposing building above The Mound.

The parading will have been to do with that.

General Assembly | The Church of Scotland

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We slept in for Edinburg and went in mid morning. We did the easy walk to The Royal Yacht Britannia. We are not fast walkers so Google maps 15 was 25 for us. There was no line when we got there so easy to buy tickets and start the self audio tour. I have Bluetooth hearing aids so was able to get same audio through my phone. I was the only one able to take pictures without trying to juggle the handheld audio device. 😁. They were doing some refurbishing of the central exterior of ship but it didn’t take away from tour that we could tell.

Half way through we decided to break for British Cream Tea. We didn’t realize so much food. Was all good. In fact the scones were fantastic! 
There is a mall where you start the tour but we only stopped in Boots for European Tylenol. 
By the time we left around 2 it was crowded. So glad we went early. IMG_8397.thumb.jpeg.18046f8d1ac7708c4683f9e4f858ff37.jpeg

• Like 7

One thing we have noted about this cruise is that there are a lot of excursions where the bus time is more than the excursion time.  That is not altogether bad, as there are some lovely drives.  Today was another long drive, but lovely scenery, and different routes to Loch Ness and back to Invergordon.  I have been to Urquhart castle before, and perhaps you can’t go home again.  But it seemed so busy, even on a Monday morning.  But still an aura of Scottish Mystery. IMG_7184.thumb.jpeg.24d452fb3444f0b79c5238a7400e6681.jpeg

• Like 4

Maybe a chance to see Northern Lights....

"Sky watch issued a ‘90% chance’ alert of aurora returning this evening, May 20, at around 9pm.

They will fade overnight but could appear once again later this week.

Sightings are most likely in northern Scotland and Northern Ireland, with a slight chance of catching them in northern England or north Wales."

5 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

One thing we have noted about this cruise is that there are a lot of excursions where the bus time is more than the excursion time.  That is not altogether bad, as there are some lovely drives.  Today was another long drive, but lovely scenery, and different routes to Loch Ness and back to Invergordon.  I have been to Urquhart castle before, and perhaps you can’t go home again.  But it seemed so busy, even on a Monday morning.  But still an aura of Scottish Mystery. IMG_7184.thumb.jpeg.24d452fb3444f0b79c5238a7400e6681.jpeg

Looks positively empty compared to our visit a number of years ago! Excellent weather to boot. Congrats.  🍺🥌

3 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Looks positively empty compared to our visit a number of years ago! Excellent weather to boot. Congrats.  🍺🥌

Empty it was not!  But thanks for the compliment to my editing skills🙂

• Like 1

Invergordon.

I took another energy conservation day.  I left the ship long enough to buy two tshirts for the little guy and a wool hat for myself in the shop on the pier. Then a lovely nap while DH did the Portmahocks tour. I have no report since he is a "I liked it, I didn't like it" kind of reporter.

Now I am sitting at breakfast in Lerwick, watching the Shetland Islands version of rush hour. We are doing Ancient Shetlands this morning.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Moby_Spout said:

Maybe a chance to see Northern Lights....

"Sky watch issued a ‘90% chance’ alert of aurora returning this evening, May 20, at around 9pm.

They will fade overnight but could appear once again later this week.

Sightings are most likely in northern Scotland and Northern Ireland, with a slight chance of catching them in northern England or north Wales."

I did not see this post until this morning. At 9pm the sun was still up as we cruise north to Lerwick. At 10 pm the sun had set and it was still a bright sky.  At 2am,  I could see all the way to the horizon; it was still twilight.

• Like 4

Lerwick, Shetland Island.

Magnificent day. Docked as planned. No trouble getting into port.  

We did the Ancient Shetlands this morning with Jim Young as our guide.  He did a great job.

It is an hour plus drive to the Jarlshof in the southern tip of the island including a quick photo stop and a slightly longer bathroom stop.

Jarlshof is an important dig, mostly because there has been no reconstruction of buildings here. The site was buried under sand and just needed to be uncovered. Jim started with the oldest dwelling on the site and then moved us forward through history as moved through the property.

This tour is a one trick pony. One stop only

No food. No shopping. If you aren't interested in ancient ruins and ancient civilizations, this tour is not for you.

Accessibility: Not for wheelchair access. Poles and walkers doable if you stick to the gravel path.  Steps can be avoided except at the entrance to the property.  

This pictures are taken from the ship.

20240521_161431.thumb.jpg.e1b745fe6a8e5beec441e211ace38c32.jpg20240521_161942.thumb.jpg.d0b1854e5d8a439aa4b584efae5a3ffd.jpg20240521_170106.thumb.jpg.3ad9421a919f6c8a66aeecd0ec1298c2.jpg20240521_161721.thumb.jpg.c8fa04a8818e7395cf94f24d6e7339e7.jpg20240521_170127.thumb.jpg.4ff228c8c18969363287e348d74e757a.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Lerwick, Shetland Island.

Magnificent day. Docked as planned. No trouble getting into port.  

We did the Ancient Shetlands this morning with Jim Young as our guide.  He did a great job.

It is an hour plus drive to the Jarlshof in the southern tip of the island including a quick photo stop and a slightly longer bathroom stop.

Jarlshof is an important dig, mostly because there has been no reconstruction of buildings here. The site was buried under sand and just needed to be uncovered. Jim started with the oldest dwelling on the site and then moved us forward through history as moved through the property.

This tour is a one trick pony. One stop only

No food. No shopping. If you aren't interested in ancient ruins and ancient civilizations, this tour is not for you.

Accessibility: Not for wheelchair access. Poles and walkers doable if you stick to the gravel path.  Steps can be avoided except at the entrance to the property.  

This pictures are taken from the ship.

20240521_161431.thumb.jpg.e1b745fe6a8e5beec441e211ace38c32.jpg20240521_161942.thumb.jpg.d0b1854e5d8a439aa4b584efae5a3ffd.jpg20240521_170106.thumb.jpg.3ad9421a919f6c8a66aeecd0ec1298c2.jpg20240521_161721.thumb.jpg.c8fa04a8818e7395cf94f24d6e7339e7.jpg20240521_170127.thumb.jpg.4ff228c8c18969363287e348d74e757a.jpg

We'll be there on our own next month! Spending three days on Shetland and five on Orkney, plus a couple of weeks touring around the Highlands.

• Like 3

Look for the Viking Mars in Bergen if you are still there.  Our waiter told us you'll still be there.  We arrive/dock by 7 AM on tomorrow, Friday morning the 24th at the berth next to Neptune.  Save some sun for us!

Loving your trip report and  pictures .  I  too like to decide  at a port or two  that I will  not do any excursions, basically having my own sea day , with nap and total day of just soaking up the pampering on the beautiful Viking ship.

I find the older I get the more I need a sea day to  catch my breathe and savor the day doing mostly nothing.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Look for the Viking Mars in Bergen if you are still there.  Our waiter told us you'll still be there.  We arrive/dock by 7 AM on tomorrow, Friday morning the 24th at the berth next to Neptune.  Save some sun for us!

We have left Bergen for Flam and Oslo.  Didn't even wait long enough to have dinner with my sister, who arrived Thursday afternoon. They are sailing with you on Saturday.

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Loving your trip report and  pictures .  I  too like to decide  at a port or two  that I will  not do any excursions, basically having my own sea day , with nap and total day of just soaking up the pampering on the beautiful Viking ship.

I find the older I get the more I need a sea day to  catch my breathe and savor the day doing mostly nothing.

Agreed! But much to my dismay, my problem has been upper respiratory and I have sneezed and coughed my through the whole vacation. Talk about being persona non grata!

20 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Saw you there (Mars) this morning. Sorry about the weather, but this afternoon and tomorrow should be okay. Look forward to boarding tomorrow!

Bergen

The weather in Bergen has been unseasonably warm and sunny. So we opted for altitude and vistas, and took the cable car to the top of Mt. Uriken. It was easy enough to do ( but not cheap for 2 five minute cable car rides). We bought our tickets at the visitor center for the shuttle bus and cable car but you can get them at the shuttle bus stop just up the street. Map when I get home.  

Disembarkation day we were off the ship before 6am to meet the luggage pick up service. Then on to the train station to begin our Norway in a Nutshell vist to Flam. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mariners said:

Peregrina651, fabulous reporting and photos.  Thank you!

And not done yet. Some info that I want to share that will have to wait until I get home. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2024 at 6:12 PM, SJD117 said:

We'll be there on our own next month! Spending three days on Shetland and five on Orkney, plus a couple of weeks touring around the Highlands.

Ooooh, lucky you! I’d love to hear more about this. We missed Shetland due to weather but loved Orkney. I’d love to have more time in both places. 

I did rail travel around the Highlands many years ago. Would love to spend more time there, too.