Just got off the Discovery Princes, 7 days Apr 27-May 4, LA - Vancouver

Some thoughts on the just completed cruise. Embarkation in San Pedro was very smooth. We arrived around 10:30 and had to get our medallions. We were told we could board the ship without waiting. We were on board about 11am. It’s strange that the dining room lunch was being served in the Ketchikan. In prior cruises it’s been in Skagway. Although I knew thew where it’s located, this caused quite a stir for those unfamiliar with how to get to Ketchikan. Lunch service opened at 11:30 but the line up went up the stairs. IDK if this was done to encourage passengers to go to the buffet but you could imagine how crowded it was and then the elevators doors opened. Lunch service was very slow but we had nowhere to go but wait for our cabins to be ready. Around 12:50 they announced the cabins are available.

We had dining reservations for our group of 6 in the Skagway for 5:40 each evening. My sisters and their husbands were eager to do everything. Sister A was familiar with Princess and last sailed in 2022, sister B never sailed before. In 2022 sister A remembered how slow the dining service was so we purposely made 5:40 reservations because she enjoyed the shows. The first night we skipped dessert as it was already 7:20. The 2nd night we complained to a suited dining room person as it was approaching 6:45 and we had not received our entrees. He tried to say it’s because it’s the first 2 nights but I disagreed saying it was the same way in Oct ‘23 and another cruise Apr ‘23. He gave us the same table for future nights and our service was very good thereafter. However you could see and hear others wondering where was their food. 

I’ve the production shows and had no interest in seeing a Lionel Ritchie or Michael Buble impersonator. I did see 3 comedians and their different shows. Phil Tag, Don Friesen and Carlos Oscar. Two were very good but Carlos Oscar was exceptional. Catch his show if you can.

A big problem I had that gnawed at me. We were constantly charged for drinks we didn’t order. Inquiring at Guest Services they checked to see where and what was ordered. We had a drinks charged to us while we were off the ship in San Diego. We had drinks charged to us from the Juneau DR while we were in the Skagway DR, different decks. We had white wine charged to us which we only drink red. A total 7 drinks were erroneously charged. When I saw the 2 drinks charged while in San Diego I went to guest services. Their reply was they would investigate and get back to us. I didn’t hear back and and by now more drinks were charged to us. I never heard back from them so the last evening I go to Guest Services I told them to reverse of one of our gratuities because that was about amount I was expecting back. I told them they never resolved any of my inquiries and so we’ll call it even with this reversal. I hated having to monitor my account every day. There must be a way to properly charge a cruiser for drinks besides asking you your name and cabin number. 

Does anyone else have a problem with the cabin remote control? Is it just their system? I have had trouble on my last 3 cruises as well as my sisters. 

My last observations, Gigi’s Pizza was never more than a 1/3 full even during normal dining hours. The Gelato station was closed until the last 3 days. An O’Malleys was being built there. The arcade where Churchills used to be was always empty, no one there the couple of times I looked. It’s still difficult to find seating in the buffet in the morning. The coffee is much better than before. Cruise Director Kristoff was everywhere and his staff was outstanding. The quality of desserts have declined. I pretty much stuck to Creme Brulee every night. There is a daily soup and great sandwiches in the always outstanding International Cafe. Internet connectivity was outstanding throughout the cruise. 

Everything else with the cruise was great. The service was wonderful including the wait staff as well as my cabin steward. I blame the dining room delay to the kitchen.

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand your irritation over the bar charges.  I would have escalated this to the Food and Beverage officer, Hotel Manager, or at least the Customer Service Supervisor after the second "error".  I would not have taken it out on the crew by removing their gratuities.  

Thank you for your balanced review.  

It seems like more and more ships are using the aft dining room for breakfast and lunch.  I guess that is a good way to consolidate the crew.  I wonder if they are still short staffed?  Will it discourage passengers from eating in the MDR and head for other venues?

• Like 2

We were on the Discovery Princess the week of April 20-27th.  I always check our bill daily.  I found that when we were in San Diego, we were charged for two drinks which we did not order.  We went to Guest Services and explained the error. The representative told me the charge was for two glasses of red wine; I explained we do not drink.  She told me she would report it and have the item removed.  The next day I checked our bill and it still appeared.  I went back to Guest Services and talked with another representative and she handled it as we were to depart the ship the next day and I knew that once we left the ship who knew how long it would take to rectify the situation.  I think there needs to be better facial recognition and cabin number verification by crew members before they input the order.

• Like 2

Sailed the Discovery three times over the last 12 months, and they are the WORST at charging you for drinks you didn't order. You have to check every single day, which is really irritating. I'm sorry that happened to you, it is a real problem on that ship.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Not to dispute anyone's claims, but I have been on the Discovery twice and was never erroneously charged.

That’s funny because I was on the Discovery twice and was charged for drinks that weren’t mine on both cruises. Of course GS took care of it right away but it’s a hassle for sure.

• Like 2

That’s a big fail on guest services to let you adjust your gratuities instead of just taking care of the problem and removing the erroneous charges. 

• Like 1

We are sailing on Discovery in Oct on a coastal. Did you notice if any of the discovery partnership activities were offered? star gazing, mystery game, etc.? They have a whole list on their website but I haven’t heard many people talk about them. Any chance you saved any patters?