Gluten Free (Celiac) on the Vista - how spartan will this be?

We went ahead and booked a 12 day cruise on the Vista based on the assurance that I can be accommodated as a Gluten Free passenger (Celiac).

What I'm concerned about is that there are no specifics provided whatsoever. I'm told I will receive a menu the evening before where I can 'pre-select' what I intend to eat the following day.

My concern isn't that I will get sick, or that I will starve. I know they can cover this at a very basic level. 

What I AM quite worried about, is that the lack of detail provided here, and the "you just have to wait until you're aboard the ship" approach is going to result in me being served food that is indeed gluten free, but is FAR below the standard of all the other plates at the table. 

Examples of this are what I call "lowest possible effort gluten free."

"steak but with no sauce," or "hamburger patty with no bun and no fries."

While I have to tolerate this in daily life, for the cost of this cruise my expectations are that I get the very same quality plate as everyone else at the table. And that the choices I am offered include replacement/reinvention effort by an actual chef, rather than just putting red X's through most of the menu. In each of all the dining venues.

If anyone has some specifics to share, please. I'm all ears.

Posted (edited)

Have a look at this thread post number 32

In fact, if you put Coeliac into the Oceania board search there are quite a few that come up.

Edited by Techno123
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Have a look at this thread post number

In fact, if you put Coeliac into the Oceania board search there are quite a few that come up.

Thanks, I did find that thread already and mined out all that I could before posting. There are no specifics, pics of dishes, examples of limited/redacted/GF menus compared to the original, etc. which is the type of information I am looking for. 

Edited by CruisyGator

I haven't sailed O for a while but sailed Regent ( same 'family') last November. The people with particular dietary requirements were given the next days menu to choose some options they would enjoy and the chefs adjusted the ingredients so it was suitable. In fact the chef would come out to discuss with the guest if they were unsure. I would think O have the same set up.

• Like 1

Have you also stressed with O that you are coeliac and not just gluten intolerant? If there are specific ingredients that you use in your cooking it might be worth you letting them know so they can have them onboard.

Yessir.

I always note that I am a Celiac when I book, and I also verify that they have that recorded each time I have occasion to contact the line.

I'm going to document how this all works on O at a much better level than anyone has so far.

Including pictures of the menus, the process, and of course pictures of the food. I will do the same for Regent. Giving them a try too.

Cruising has literally reopened travel for me since being diagnosed some 11 years ago. There would be no possible way I could visit places natively and be able to eat. On a cruise, all those concerns vanish, because I eat on the ship.

So far, Carnival has been the best approach. They now have a dedicated GF menu which I can choose to pre-order (food comes out faster) or just order like everyone else and absorb the slight delay. 

2 hours ago, CruisyGator said:

Thanks, I did find that thread already and mined out all that I could before posting. There are no specifics, pics of dishes, examples of limited/redacted/GF menus compared to the original, etc. which is the type of information I am looking for. 

I mean no offense but are the 'nicer' restaurants you go to on land able to provide those things?

2 hours ago, CruisyGator said:

There would be no possible way I could visit places natively and be able to eat.

Oops, didn't read this before posting about experiences on land. So are you saying that you don't go out to eat?

Posted (edited)

You completely misunderstood what I wrote. 

Like all people with this disease, we eat where we have a high confidence level that the staff both understands the request, and is able to deliver on it. I have many local restaurants that accommodate GF, and other dietary needs too. One even does GF waffles and fried food. There are websites and apps expressly dedicated to reviewing restaurants specifically on their handling of gluten free customers. 

I could never travel to, and stay in a country where I do not speak the language and expect to be able to eat GF.

But visiting the same place on a cruise is a different story, since I don't have to worry about getting sick, since I eat on the ship. Cruising is therefore a big game changer for people like me with issues like this. 

Edited by CruisyGator
  • Like 1

Having also being diagnosed coeliac I share all your concerns and experiences CruisyGator and will follow your post on your March cruise with much interest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:
4 hours ago, CruisyGator said:

There would be no possible way I could visit places natively and be able to eat.

It was the word "natively". I was thinking you meant outside where you live perhaps. I've never thought of other countries in the "native" way. You might want to check out Western Europe where it seems almost everyone speaks English. And poor you. I can't imagine traveling and not eating with the locals. Hopefully they'll come up with a cure.

• Like 1

A couple of our grandsons have allergies - one celiac, another milk and oat, another annato (the gold color)  in Mac and cheese, many of the yellow cheeses, it’s even used in baked goods to get that golden brown color.  Anyway, we took them on Regatta last July and daughters met with Food and Beverage director, Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef on embarkation day.   They worked out the details, and did mostly well.  we ordered a gluten free margarita pizza one night and unfortunately in the translation, they brought 3 extra large pizza’s for a 7 year old!   They made sure at tea time that the grandsons had their own little sandwiches, scones and pastries.   

We are taking them all on Riviera this July and daughters said they will bring some US snacks, a bottle of gluten free soy sauce (they loved the sushi) a jar of peanut butter and gluten free crackers as the day before menu item doesn’t always work when they are hungry now and room service doesn’t have the ability to whip up something quick.   

Terrace cafe was the hardest to navigate as a chef has to be asked to come point out what you can eat.   We have suggested that perhaps they could put GF or other allergy restrictions on the food labels they put out by the food, but Miami hasn’t listened yet.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slw207693 said:

and unfortunately in the translation,

They didn't speak English? That's pretty unusual, isn't it?

16 hours ago, clo said:

I mean no offense but are the 'nicer' restaurants you go to on land able to provide those things?

I can partially explain this.

I live in the U.S. heartlands. Everyday between 4:00-6:30 pm during local programming and news, there is a continuous onslaught of advertising by personal injury attorneys seeking clients injured by multiple means. Sometimes there are around 10 such commercials in a half hour stretch. They claim to have some one standing by to answer the phone 24/7.

The effect of that is a very expensive insurance rider if a restaurant lists an item as being GF. It takes a lot of GF sales to pay for that rider, a level which many establishments will never achieve. Waitstaff is also trained to not claim that any items on the menu are GF. Those carrot and celery sticks, no guarantees, eat at your own risk.

If you read CC here very often a familiar cry is “ well I’d sue “; “ I’d be suing somebody “; “ You should sue!” The litigious nature of American society can both protect people and likewise create the absurd. I don’t know the exact laws in effect for a foreign flagged ship at sea, nor the actual promise made to any passengers , from the chef, regarding GF and/or other allergen. Just saying it is something very difficult for any small to medium sized restaurants to do. Guaranteed actions of a lot of perhaps low skilled employees is risky business.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I can partially explain this.

I live in the U.S. heartlands. Everyday between 4:00-6:30 pm during local programming and news, there is a continuous onslaught of advertising by personal injury attorneys seeking clients injured by multiple means. Sometimes there are around 10 such commercials in a half hour stretch. They claim to have some one standing by to answer the phone 24/7.

The effect of that is a very expensive insurance rider if a restaurant lists an item as being GF. It takes a lot of GF sales to pay for that rider, a level which many establishments will never achieve. Waitstaff is also trained to not claim that any items on the menu are GF. Those carrot and celery sticks, no guarantees, eat at your own risk.

If you read CC here very often a familiar cry is “ well I’d sue “; “ I’d be suing somebody “; “ You should sue!” The litigious nature of American society can both protect people and likewise create the absurd. I don’t know the exact laws in effect for a foreign flagged ship at sea, nor the actual promise made to any passengers , from the chef, regarding GF and/or other allergen. Just saying it is something very difficult for any small to medium sized restaurants to do. Guaranteed actions of a lot of perhaps low skilled employees is risky business.

Thank you so much. I learned a lot from this. And, yes, our litigious nature is a nasty one.

I am celiac and will be doing our 13th cruise on O this June.

I hope I can put your mind at ease. The gluten free adjustments are generally quite similar to the non-gluten-free original menu item. You can choose anything you like from the menu - rarely (but not never) they have told me they can't accomodate my selection in a gluten free way. That said, I have not ever (for example) selected the tempura so can't promise that everything is available.

Yes in Terrace you may end up becoming friendly with the chef! On some voyages they will start to recognize you and take you on a mini-tour and even come up with special dishes. On other voyages the servers will simply head to the back to ask if a given item is GF...

Bread/rolls/pancakes/pizza are all available gluten free. GF pancakes might only be available in main dining room and you may have to reassure your server that they are indeed available GF.

GF pizza takes some pre-planning (not just 'on the spot') - haven't been on Vista yet but assume GF pizza is out of Terrace and not the pizza oven at Waves in the evening??

Breadth of GF availablity at tea in Horizons has in the past varied by ship/voyage but it's been many years since I was met with the equivalent of a shrug when asking for GF options at tea.

Also occasionally if I choose a side dish in the dining room the availability will have changed, eg asparagus no longer available, would green beans be ok?

For the "I'd never go to a country where I don't speak the language", there are free to download & print gluten free travel cards that explain in local detail what gluten free requirements are. I understand this may still not be your idea of relaxing travel, but in case you find yourself in a bilingual city - say Montreal - and want some additional resources something like these cards could come in handy!

Some countries are easier than others, but we managed to spend several days in Thailand last year without my getting glutened thanks in part to the cards. English was more widely spoken than we expected at least in large cities especially at hotels and restaurants. For GF dining, even France is much easier now than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Italy is actually quite easy thanks to regulations and demand.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

I hope I can put your mind at ease. The gluten free adjustments are generally quite similar to the non-gluten-free original menu item. You can choose anything you like from the menu - rarely (but not never) they have told me they can't accomodate my selection in a gluten free way. That said, I have not ever (for example) selected the tempura so can't promise that everything is available.

Yes in Terrace you may end up becoming friendly with the chef! On some voyages they will start to recognize you and take you on a mini-tour and even come up with special dishes. On other voyages the servers will simply head to the back to ask if a given item is GF...

Bread/rolls/pancakes/pizza are all available gluten free. GF pancakes might only be available in main dining room and you may have to reassure your server that they are indeed available GF.

GF pizza takes some pre-planning (not just 'on the spot') - haven't been on Vista yet but assume GF pizza is out of Terrace and not the pizza oven at Waves in the evening??

Breadth of GF availablity at tea in Horizons has in the past varied by ship/voyage but it's been many years since I was met with the equivalent of a shrug when asking for GF options at tea.

Also occasionally if I choose a side dish in the dining room the availability will have changed, eg asparagus no longer available, would green beans be ok?

For the "I'd never go to a country where I don't speak the language", there are free to download & print gluten free travel cards that explain in local detail what gluten free requirements are. I understand this may still not be your idea of relaxing travel, but in case you find yourself in a bilingual city - say Montreal - and want some additional resources something like these cards could come in handy!

Some countries are easier than others, but we managed to spend several days in Thailand last year without my getting glutened thanks in part to the cards. English was more widely spoken than we expected at least in large cities especially at hotels and restaurants. For GF dining, even France is much easier now than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Italy is actually quite easy thanks to regulations and demand.

Thank you, this absolutely peels quite a bit of the onion. Just knowing that I'll have real menu choices and not a dramatic subset totally chills me out.

I am not a pizza guy on a cruise so I will likely just skip that. I mean, it's okay but if there is seafood or Asian dishes I will go for those every time.

OTOH, fried food (as I'm sure you well know) is an absolute luxury for a celiac to be able to have at a restaurant. I will definitely be pushing the button on that to see what happens. There's an encouraging picture of fried shrimp here so - yay. 

I have to travel to Montreal for work and I have no problem there. I am really surprised to hear about Italy though. It's a gluten-centric diet there and I never expected they would accommodate as much as that. 

Mexico has kind of been the opposite. I do speak Spanish, but Mexican food by and large is naturally GF. Except for the flour tortilla, they just don't cook with wheat flour. 

I'm bookmarking the cards nonetheless.

Thanks again for the really thorough post. I am gonna have a great time.

• Like 1

Happy to help!

3 hours ago, CruisyGator said:

OTOH, fried food (as I'm sure you well know) is an absolute luxury for a celiac to be able to have at a restaurant. I will definitely be pushing the button on that to see what happens. There's an encouraging picture of fried shrimp here so - yay. 

The french fries at Waves were gluten free in December 2023 on Insignia.

The fries didn't used to be gluten free, but they are now (or were in December...).

Not sure about any other fried food onboard being GF...I might have to ask about that!

I think Italy has the second highest incidence of celiac in Europe after Finland. Who knew, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, babysteps said:

They can do all this yet when I ask for a Club sandwich without lettuce or tomatoes it's almost an impossibility. Go figure. 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

To expand on the details above - the menu you receive ahead of time is not a special menu. It is the dinner menu for the main dining room (or specialty if you have a reservation). You just circle the standard items that you would like and they prepare them according to your dining restrictions.

In the recent past they have started calling to confirm any major changes required to the dish. You can accept the dish as described or make a different selection. 

If eating dinner in Terrace you can either browse what's there, or request your pre-selection. Usually lol that is, one cruise it was browse only. And a couple of cruises it was "let me make you something special". 

Also if you like gf soy sauce it has been hard or impossible to find onboard. 

Room service has not been a problem - we do remind them each time of the restriction. 

In general O does a good job of managing restricted diets. As with most situations, there will be wrinkles. I haven't yet been glutened onboard so I'd describe the wrinkles as erring on the side of caution. 

Happy exploring! 

Edited by babysteps
  • Thanks 2