QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

19 minutes ago, renji said:

I think the issue with this is that Wellness space is available for all passengers as is all the surrounding seating.  There is no seating on the deck 3 promenade. There are yoga classes and dance lessons there given the lack of other spaces available. 

It may be available for all passengers, but few avail themselves of it. The most I have seen is eight, and that makes it an unnecessarily large space.

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The Wellness Studio is surely there to appeal to younger demographics.  I understand all the early voyages are heavily loaded with a large number of very frequent Cunard cruisers and possibly and older demographic as a result.  

Once things settle down more younger people and first time travellers will start to book and this area may well prove popular with them.

I'm basing this on the premise that P&O experimented on Arvia with a vegetable based restaurant which was barely used initially and yet now in second season is heavily booked by mainly health conscious younger people.  The Wellness Studio may yet prove a hit.

I'm also guessing the next voyage is also heavily loaded with Diamond CWC members as I have been given a boarding time of 3.00pm and am indeed one so any lack of use should really take a season to be properly judged on popularity.

Well, it may be the case, but somehow I doubt it. Already this morning I noticed a group of not particularly old passengers had moved a few chairs in there so they could chat somewhere out of the wind. This seemed sensible as it was otherwise a large empty space. I am baffled by some of the assumptions in your argument, which seem to suggest that older people are mainly not health conscious, and that those who are would choose to eat in a vegetable based restaurant. There are lots (?too many?) of vegetarian choices in the ordinary restaurants. However, the Wellness Café already seems quite popular for breakfast with a variety of ages.

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm also guessing the next voyage is also heavily loaded with Diamond CWC members as I have been given a boarding time of 3.00pm and am indeed one so any lack of use should really take a season to be properly judged on popularity.

I wouldn't read that too much into that, as a Diamond I get those sorts of times - and later - too. If you got at 2pm it would probably be fairly quiet and I doubt you would be delayed, but 3pm would give you a nicer boarding experience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I wouldn't read that too much into that, as a Diamond I get those sorts of times - and later - too. If you got at 2pm it would probably be fairly quiet and I doubt you would be delayed, but 3pm would give you a nicer boarding experience.

I'm very happy with any time. As I say I sail in the bilges, those who pay thousands are more than entitled to board earlier as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renji said:

I think the issue with this is that Wellness space is available for all passengers as is all the surrounding seating.  There is no seating on the deck 3 promenade. There are yoga classes and dance lessons there given the lack of other spaces available. 

Yoga is there. Dance classes and lessons and Zumba seem to be in the Queens Room, according to the DP. I doubt the Wellness (how does that differ from health as a concept btw?) Studio floor is suitable.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Yoga is there. Dance classes and lessons and Zumba seem to be in the Queens Room, according to the DP. I doubt the Wellness (how does that differ from health as a concept btw?) Studio floor is suitable.

We came across some dance instruction in the deck  11 lift lobby the other day. Very graceful it was too.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, it may be the case, but somehow I doubt it. Already this morning I noticed a group of not particularly old passengers had moved a few chairs in there so they could chat somewhere out of the wind. This seemed sensible as it was otherwise a large empty space. I am baffled by some of the assumptions in your argument, which seem to suggest that older people are mainly not health conscious, and that those who are would choose to eat in a vegetable based restaurant. There are lots (?too many?) of vegetarian choices in the ordinary restaurants. However, the Wellness Café already seems quite popular for breakfast with a variety of ages.

I think perhaps you are over reacting to my health conscious comment. I'm a long way off young at 68 and my reference was not to older people not being health conscious more that Cunard have a stated desire to encourage younger people onboard and these younger folk are perceived, rightly or wrongly, to wish to follow a different health regime to those of my generation and above. 

My observations on Arvia's vegetable based restaurant are just that, ie many said it wasn't being used and was a failure but it has subsequently proved not to be the case.  What I meant by that is the prejudging of it as a failure was wrong. 

Whether a restaurant is based on any eating style is surely a matter of personal choice.  For my part I do not like Indian food or curry of any description, however I would not be so silly as not to understand others love it so an Indian/Eastern restaurant or theme night is a good thing.  I'm not vegetarian either, but I would say the meal I had in Arvia's vegetable based restaurant was one of the best I've had a sea on any line in recent years, so horses for courses.

I understand the Wellness Studio is an area open to all, not just Grills passengers. My comment really is that just because it seems under used at the moment it may prove not to be going forward.  I'm sure the ship designers would not wish after 1 1/2 voyages to be told their design is wrong and I doubt very much Cunard would want to redesign things either at this point.

• Like 1

"Wellness" is a thing right now, with lots of commercial operations branded that way.  Cunard is riding the wave, and if it is a tempt to attract younger people I hope it's successful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Only private lessons happening.  Some tunes it’s the only space onboard. 

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I think perhaps you are over reacting to my health conscious comment. I'm a long way off young at 68 and my reference was not to older people not being health conscious more that Cunard have a stated desire to encourage younger people onboard and these younger folk are perceived, rightly or wrongly, to wish to follow a different health regime to those of my generation and above. 

My observations on Arvia's vegetable based restaurant are just that, ie many said it wasn't being used and was a failure but it has subsequently proved not to be the case.  What I meant by that is the prejudging of it as a failure was wrong. 

Whether a restaurant is based on any eating style is surely a matter of personal choice.  For my part I do not like Indian food or curry of any description, however I would not be so silly as not to understand others love it so an Indian/Eastern restaurant or theme night is a good thing.  I'm not vegetarian either, but I would say the meal I had in Arvia's vegetable based restaurant was one of the best I've had a sea on any line in recent years, so horses for courses.

I understand the Wellness Studio is an area open to all, not just Grills passengers. My comment really is that just because it seems under used at the moment it may prove not to be going forward.  I'm sure the ship designers would not wish after 1 1/2 voyages to be told their design is wrong and I doubt very much Cunard would want to redesign things either at this point.

Obviously I wouldn’t wish to hurt the ship’s designers feelings (heaven forfend), but it is undoubtedly a fact that the Grills Lounge is dark and lacks a view, it is undoubtedly a fact that the Wellness Studio is a huge space for what is offered, and it probably doesn’t need a view. As regards the unpleasant Grills Lounge, what happens is that undesirable Grills passengers such as me go and clutter up other spaces with views like the Commodore Club. Or I may even move a chair into the wellness studio. I don’t think this is going to improve over time, and many Grills passengers do pay a fair bit. 

There are often changes made at the first refit, or even before, such as the hurried fitting of drawers in cabins on QV’s first world cruise, which the designer had somehow overlooked the need for. Do hope their feelings weren’t hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Obviously I wouldn’t wish to hurt the ship’s designers feelings (heaven forfend), but it is undoubtedly a fact that the Grills Lounge is dark and lacks a view, it is undoubtedly a fact that the Wellness Studio is a huge space for what is offered, and it probably doesn’t need a view. As regards the unpleasant Grills Lounge, what happens is that undesirable Grills passengers such as me go and clutter up other spaces with views like the Commodore Club. Or I may even move a chair into the wellness studio. I don’t think this is going to improve over time, and many Grills passengers do pay a fair bit. 

There are often changes made at the first refit, or even before, such as the hurried fitting of drawers in cabins on QV’s first world cruise, which the designer had somehow overlooked the need for. Do hope their feelings weren’t hurt.

Well I'll see the Wellness Studio for myself in a few days as I certainly intend to use it if there's yoga etc there.  I cannot speak for Grills passengers as I'll never be amongst them but I do think it's nice for the rest of us number maker uppers if we are getting a nice view on any line for once.  

It could of course be the full programme for this area isn't fully up and running yet.  I'm sure the designers won't in any way be hurt as everyone is entitled to express an opinion.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well I'll see the Wellness Studio for myself in a few days as I certainly intend to use it if there's yoga etc there.  I cannot speak for Grills passengers as I'll never be amongst them but I do think it's nice for the rest of us number maker uppers if we are getting a nice view on any line for once.  

It could of course be the full programme for this area isn't fully up and running yet.  I'm sure the designers won't in any way be hurt as everyone is entitled to express an opinion.  

There is certainly yoga. 

The Commodore Club, the Chart Room, the Sky Bar, the Pub, the Queens Lounge by the windows, the Lido, sorry Artisan’s Food Hall, Pavilion all have lovely views and lots of day light, and as far as I know are open to everybody. Why should the Grills Lounge not have the same basic advantages?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There is certainly yoga. 

The Commodore Club, the Chart Room, the Sky Bar, the Pub, the Queens Lounge by the windows, the Lido, sorry Artisan’s Food Hall, Pavilion all have lovely views and lots of day light, and as far as I know are open to everybody. Why should the Grills Lounge not have the same basic advantages?

I don't have an opinion on Grills passengers' facilities, it is for them to decide if the ship and it's offering is for them and if they decide not they will no doubt decide to spend their cash elsewhere.  I'm afraid I cannot say why the designers and Cunard decided on this occasion you should be deprived of what you consider a basic advantage but I'm at a loss to see why that "depravation" has to be rectified by removing something that has not been tested yet.  I have no opinion one way or the other, I merely offered my opinion on what Cunard may be trying to achieve with this ship.

I've absolutely no axe to grind with you or any other Grill passengers and frankly challenging me about the ship's design is fruitless because I had nothing to do with it and cannot influence any amendment to it.  

• Like 2

Sounds like a design compromise, Wellness Studio against Grills Lounge.  I'm in favor of making the public areas as attractive as possible, despite traveling in the Grills on our October QA cruise.  The WS sounds like a nice place for stretches, pilates, and yoga.  Has someone posted photos? - I only remember seeing a schematic.

• Like 2

It is huge, isn't it.  

The natural light is very nice, maybe especially for those sunrise and sunset classes.  I'm now planning to try some in October.  Well, sunset maybe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'll try a glass half full rather than half empty approach and say I'm very much looking forward to sunrise and sunset stretches up there, in fact if I even see the sun it sounds like it will be a minor miracle the way the weather has been.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'll try a glass half full rather than half empty approach and say I'm very much looking forward to sunrise and sunset stretches up there, in fact if I even see the sun it sounds like it will be a minor miracle the way the weather has been.

The sun has had its hat on for much of the time, and the wind has certainly blown a hooley at times, but that hasn’t detracted from  a lovely holiday on a ship which is growing on me more, each day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

The sun has had its hat on for much of the time, and the wind has certainly blown a hooley at times, but that hasn’t detracted from  a lovely holiday on a ship which is growing on me more, each day.

I'm so pleased you are learning to like (I remembered you said not love!) her as we seem to be going to be acquainted with her for quite a while.  Thank you for all your pictures and interesting offerings on lifts and things.

Enjoy your remaining time onboard and here's looking forward for the next time. Thanks again.

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm so pleased you are learning to like (I remembered you said not love!) her as we seem to be going to be acquainted with her for quite a while.  Thank you for all your pictures and interesting offerings on lifts and things.

Enjoy your remaining time onboard and here's looking forward for the next time. Thanks again.

I can’t ever see myself loving Annie, but if we’ve had a relaxing holiday and enjoyed ourselves, then those can’t be bad signs.

The next cruise later in the year will be interesting if only to see if we still like her.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I don't have an opinion on Grills passengers' facilities, it is for them to decide if the ship and it's offering is for them and if they decide not they will no doubt decide to spend their cash elsewhere.  I'm afraid I cannot say why the designers and Cunard decided on this occasion you should be deprived of what you consider a basic advantage but I'm at a loss to see why that "depravation" has to be rectified by removing something that has not been tested yet.  I have no opinion one way or the other, I merely offered my opinion on what Cunard may be trying to achieve with this ship.

I've absolutely no axe to grind with you or any other Grill passengers and frankly challenging me about the ship's design is fruitless because I had nothing to do with it and cannot influence any amendment to it.  

I always think that rather than merely moaning, it is better to try and suggest a solution. That was mine.

• Like 1