New to Viking Ocean

We just booked an April 2025 Panama Canal cruise from LA to Fort Lauderdale. Need to know a couple of things: what is the gratuity daily rate and does the upgraded beverage package include upgraded wine. I know it includes mixed drinks too. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Your gratuity is available to view in My Viking Journey (MVJ). If you haven’t set up your account yet, do so now. Go to “Before You Go” and click on Pre-Paid Gratuities to see the amount. BTW most people do not prepay because on board credits may be used for this purpose. Even though you might not have any credits, you might obtain some during the cruise. For example if you book another cruise while onboard you will receive an OBC. Also if a paid excursion is cancelled you may end up with a credit that can be used for gratuities.

The beverage package includes additional wines. Whether they are an upgrade or not has been the subject of much discussion on this board. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Your gratuity is available to view in My Viking Journey (MVJ). If you haven’t set up your account yet, do so now. Go to “Before You Go” and click on Pre-Paid Gratuities to see the amount. BTW most people do not prepay because on board credits may be used for this purpose. Even though you might not have any credits, you might obtain some during the cruise. For example if you book another cruise while onboard you will receive an OBC. Also if a paid excursion is cancelled you may end up with a credit that can be used for gratuities.

The beverage package includes additional wines. Whether they are an upgrade or not has been the subject of much discussion on this board. 

One night in Chef's Table the upgrade white was Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. Viking should be ashamed.

Just now, duquephart said:

One night in Chef's Table the upgrade white was Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. Viking should be ashamed.

As I said, much discussion. As I’ve stated in other threads, IMO unless you drink liquor the SSP is not worth the cost. All wines are available for purchase so there is nothing exclusive in the package. It’s just a different way to pay for drinks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

As I said, much discussion. As I’ve stated in other threads, IMO unless you drink liquor the SSP is not worth the cost. All wines are available for purchase so there is nothing exclusive in the package. It’s just a different way to pay for drinks.

Drinking liquor is not a criteria - quantity is however.

Just now, duquephart said:

Drinking liquor is not a criteria - quantity is however.

I’m speaking strictly of cost. Unless you drink a lot, paying per drink might be more cost effective.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, duquephart said:

Agreed!  Bottom shelf grocery store wine. 

45 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Agreed!  Bottom shelf grocery store wine. 

We actually like it and keep a bottle or two in our wine cooler. My point is that it's much closer to average than to premium.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, emckeeve said:

New to Viking Ocean.  What does the Silver Beverage Package include.  

All wine, beer, liquor, mixed drinks, and cocktails under $18 per serving. It also gives a discount on full bottles of wine. Almost everything is covered per glass except for a few champagne offerings.

It does not offer anything exclusive. All wines are available for purchase so you can think of it as a different way of paying. 

IMO unless you have more than 3 drinks per person per day, you are better off putting the drinks on your tab. Also you will find various opinions on this board about the quality of the premium wines are worth it. 

You may also find pictures of the drinks menu and prices in other threads.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

The silver spirits is just an economic decision, all drinks are available without it, chargeable per glass. 

Generally, if you are likely to order 3-4 not included drinks per day you will save money getting the package

And don't forget, you must get the SSP for both people in the cabin. Although the OP already commented that it's included as a promo for them.

When it comes to gratuities, we waited to pay until we were onboard. Worked out fine for us. And like others have suggested, one reason to do it this way is that if you have cancelled excursions, the refund will go onto your account. This was able to help pay for our gratuities then. Again, this is just completely a personal decision.

• Like 1