*LIVE* NCL Joy Bermuda 7-nite sailing from NYC in HAVEN-06/16/2024-w/pics

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

I hope you are right about this. I personally feel it's a bit early to predict but even if it is somewhere close to this, I will be happy. One of the worst thunderstorms I have ever been in was in Manhattan in June and that's all I can think about, LOL.

I Know.  It's weather.  I keep checking daily.  But, who knows what it will be like in a couple of weeks?

Fingers (and toes) crossed.

I always prepare myself for rocky seas when in the Atlantic.  But, so far-so good!

• Like 2

Little off topic, and I already have more backpacks than I know what to do with.  But, I own this one, too.  It is a great back pack for cruising....storing laptop, electronics, underwear, shoes, etc....all those things that you may or may not need, but glad you have when you need them.

This is such a great price, I thought I'd share...

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/pro-slim-laptop-backpack/117775XXXX.html?dwvar_117775XXXX_color=Heathered Graphite&cgid=backpacks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Little off topic ... backpacks ... this one ... is a great back pack for cruising....storing laptop, electronics, underwear, shoes, etc....all those things that you may or may not need, but 

... such a great price, I thought I'd share ...

LOL, you and I should check to see who owns more eBags ... has yet to find a need to file a lifetime warranty claim among some of the oldest carry-on rollerboards acquired over 10 to 15 years ago, before Samsonite brought them out.   I am 97.5% sure they are quickly clearing their warehouse with a newer generation of backpacks, carrry-on and spinners coming out shortly - fire sale and free, flat rate shipping for $5.  

I have more than a dozen laptop cases but when I saw this wheeled 16" underseater on fire sale again, $29 + tax + shipping, just couldn't resist and got one.  The 3 sectional handle is a bit on the loose side, otherwise it's perfect for all my electronics, accessories & heavier gadgets, batteries & charger, cables ... with room for the 3-1-1, toiletry, first aid/med pouches ... and a fresh set of clothing and 2 sets of underwear, good enough for 1 or 2 nights on the go.  Pair that with a 17" laptop/backpack case with room for a med packing cube ... I am going to try this out at our upcoming cruise, and give the tired shoulder/back a bit of relief and rest.  

PXL_20240530_172440621.thumb.jpg.586142d9ab71b53ee9d2404d405c5be0.jpg

Downside, pack heavier items toward the back/bottom near the wheels, as it can tipped over leaning forward - roll clothing tightly and begin by stacking them at the bottom of the case ... pleasantly surprised how much XXL I can fit in the shell ... without resorting to compression packing cubes.   

P.S.  Gate police might stop one from boarding a domestic flight with both the underseater and a backpack unless a hefty fee is collected ... well, a medium compression packing cube is slightly under-sized for a personal bag, and, one can carry that along with the underseater to evade their scale and sizer.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Thought I’d do a little research….

eBags is an online retailer of handbags, luggage, backpacks, laptop bags, and travel accessories that was founded in ***** Village, Colorado near Denver. Before being acquired by Samsonite in 2017, the main website, eBags.com, carried bags and accessories from hundreds of brands.Wikipedia
Parent organizations: Samsonite, Samsonite LLC, eBags, Inc.
Founders: Jon Nordmark, Peter Cobb
Founded: 1998
Headquarters: ***** Village, CO

I wonder if Samsonite is trying to sell out of eBags products and sell only their own brand?

Hope not, as their backpacks and luggage aren’t pretty but sure are durable!

I have a TravelPro backpack that I’ve had for a while as I got it before I retired.  TravelPro is expensive but very durable and functional, also!

Time to put that back into service!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, graphicguy said:

... wonder if Samsonite is trying to sell out of eBags products and sell only their own brand?

Hope not ... have a TravelPro backpack ... expensive but very durable and functional, also! Time to put that back into service!

Samsonite hasn't been successful since they brought out eBags in 2017 ... one of CC'er that I met onboard then had the insider's scoop.  Corporate parent hasn't succeed in getting out of the branded product's lifetime warranty ... stuff is just solidly built and if something is broken, fixed or replaced, almost no questions asked (if the pooch chewed out the lining or handles, etc. that's another story)  

Had a TP back in the 90's but it eventually showed its age and replaced that with the sturdy Kirkland Signature 22" carry-on expandable, rollerboard, by Costco - heavy and used it on long haul oversea vacations as a checked bag - fit in JetBlue's OH bins as it is slightly larger than 22" by 14" by 9"   Nowadays, flying EU or overseas, with most airlines limiting the cabin bag to 10 kg or 22 lbs, rendering it impractical unless I plan to use it as a 2nd checked bag on the return.  Kirkland has gone on a good # of cruises over the decades.  Around the same time, started acquiring more eBags  ... absolutely loved the carry-on MotherLode Junior (19" vs. 22") - stack it (easily 25 to 30 lbs w electronics) on DW's 22" rollerboard, hauling both together.   Now that we are flying more than once or twice a year again, with TA coming up, more careful & selective about the choice of luggage, size, weight, and ease of getting around - curbside to the ship's gangway is a long & winding path, mostly not flat but an incline.  

Back on the Joy & on topic ("takeout of food" from onboard restaurants) ... just had more confirmation from 3 old friends currently onboard; in addition to our 2 best friends and BIL/SIL that disembarked last Sunday, also the Bermuda 7 days loop out of NY - apparently, if one cannot finish certain entrees and/or desserts using the voucher or dining package ... upon request, the server will put a plate cover on top, provide utensils & napkin and let it go (be taken out of the Cagney's & Food Republic, to be specific, to be eaten later in one's stateroom or cabin).   I have no idea if that is something that O'Sheehan's will allow, i.e. a dozen wings, salad and apple pie, wrapped to go - I suspect that they might say, please call & use room service.  

Staying in Haven, this isn't important but for those staying in a non-Haven cabin or stateroom, without a butler ... it's good to know & thought it's worth giving those following your live, a heads up.  As always, YMMV since we know and understood NCL has "policies" in place and is consistently, being inconsistent with the rules about food being taken out. 

Food-wise, they felt food onboard the Joy is a notch better than the Prima as they've sailed both, except for the grades of beef used ... barely chewable in the MDR.  Well, I'm fine with a good, hot, juicy beef burger that's done right to my preference.  

They very much enjoyed "Elements" and the magician show in the main theater.   Satellite WiFi internet remained consistent but slower than pre-Starlink, throttled but usable ... just not possible to watch YouTube or stream contents on the basic WiFi or limited free minutes.  

Looking at cabin inventory for the month of June, I'm surprised that there is still availability for balconies ... it does looked like NCL has taken & processed many "reasonable" upgrade bids and the club balconies & higher suites, Haven, etc. are basically sold out.  Inside cabins for this weekend has dropped and worth an extra Latitudes point for those chasing "status" to the next tier.  Another CC friend sailing June 30th said her CC roll call is basically "certified" and has coded, flatline & just a handful - unlikely to see a quasi-formal Meet &Greet/Mingle onboard but she & others have absolutely no desire to engage those from the other toxic, platform (ditto, same with me, as you well know in those days then) with the private groups.  

A week will go by very quickly ... you are going to just wing it ? 

23 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Samsonite hasn't been successful since they brought out eBags in 2017 ... one of CC'er that I met onboard then had the insider's scoop.  Corporate parent hasn't succeed in getting out of the branded product's lifetime warranty ... stuff is just solidly built and if something is broken, fixed or replaced, almost no questions asked (if the pooch chewed out the lining or handles, etc. that's another story)  

Had a TP back in the 90's but it eventually showed its age and replaced that with the sturdy Kirkland Signature 22" carry-on expandable, rollerboard, by Costco - heavy and used it on long haul oversea vacations as a checked bag - fit in JetBlue's OH bins as it is slightly larger than 22" by 14" by 9"   Nowadays, flying EU or overseas, with most airlines limiting the cabin bag to 10 kg or 22 lbs, rendering it impractical unless I plan to use it as a 2nd checked bag on the return.  Kirkland has gone on a good # of cruises over the decades.  Around the same time, started acquiring more eBags  ... absolutely loved the carry-on MotherLode Junior (19" vs. 22") - stack it (easily 25 to 30 lbs w electronics) on DW's 22" rollerboard, hauling both together.   Now that we are flying more than once or twice a year again, with TA coming up, more careful & selective about the choice of luggage, size, weight, and ease of getting around - curbside to the ship's gangway is a long & winding path, mostly not flat but an incline.  

Back on the Joy & on topic ("takeout of food" from onboard restaurants) ... just had more confirmation from 3 old friends currently onboard; in addition to our 2 best friends and BIL/SIL that disembarked last Sunday, also the Bermuda 7 days loop out of NY - apparently, if one cannot finish certain entrees and/or desserts using the voucher or dining package ... upon request, the server will put a plate cover on top, provide utensils & napkin and let it go (be taken out of the Cagney's & Food Republic, to be specific, to be eaten later in one's stateroom or cabin).   I have no idea if that is something that O'Sheehan's will allow, i.e. a dozen wings, salad and apple pie, wrapped to go - I suspect that they might say, please call & use room service.  

Staying in Haven, this isn't important but for those staying in a non-Haven cabin or stateroom, without a butler ... it's good to know & thought it's worth giving those following your live, a heads up.  As always, YMMV since we know and understood NCL has "policies" in place and is consistently, being inconsistent with the rules about food being taken out. 

Food-wise, they felt food onboard the Joy is a notch better than the Prima as they've sailed both, except for the grades of beef used ... barely chewable in the MDR.  Well, I'm fine with a good, hot, juicy beef burger that's done right to my preference.  

They very much enjoyed "Elements" and the magician show in the main theater.   Satellite WiFi internet remained consistent but slower than pre-Starlink, throttled but usable ... just not possible to watch YouTube or stream contents on the basic WiFi or limited free minutes.  

Looking at cabin inventory for the month of June, I'm surprised that there is still availability for balconies ... it does looked like NCL has taken & processed many "reasonable" upgrade bids and the club balconies & higher suites, Haven, etc. are basically sold out.  Inside cabins for this weekend has dropped and worth an extra Latitudes point for those chasing "status" to the next tier.  Another CC friend sailing June 30th said her CC roll call is basically "certified" and has coded, flatline & just a handful - unlikely to see a quasi-formal Meet &Greet/Mingle onboard but she & others have absolutely no desire to engage those from the other toxic, platform (ditto, same with me, as you well know in those days then) with the private groups.  

A week will go by very quickly ... you are going to just wing it ? 

Hi Henry.....I think, as you say, Samsonite was looking for a quick way into the online business.  eBags was the ticket.

Had done business with eBags for a while.  Not fancy but durable and no hassle if/when something went wrong.  They just replaced it.  To my knowledge they were still doing well when Samsonite bought them.  Now?  eBags is a little barren when it comes to inventory.  And, it looks like they are selling their wares at fire sale prices.  Looks like Samsonite took a good retailer (eBags) and turned them into a shell of their former self.

It's been a while, but the last couple of bags the GF bought at a Samsonite store (at a local discount mall) were pretty shoddy.  Used to make good stuff.  Not so anymore.

When I retired, my former company (AMD) gave me a bunch of swag.  Some of it included the TravelPro Backpack that has been sitting in its box for a couple of years.  It's heavy so I haven't used it, yet.  It's crazy well made, though.  So, time to make it earn its keep.

Good to hear about Joy.  Excited.

Wing it?  Probably.  I can get public transport (which is quite good) to Tobacco Bay Beach or Horseshoe Bay.  Wednesday night is the downtown Hamilton Street Fair.  Aside from that, I'll discover by wandering around.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:16 PM, graphicguy said:

I have "loose" plans.  I know I'll spend some time at Half Moon.  I know I'll hit the Street Fair on Wednesday night.  I am trying to book a private tour of the area, but haven't got that locked down yet.

It's been a while (a decade), but yes, I have been to Bermuda before.  And, agree...given any Bahamas or Caribbean destination, I'd take Bermuda over all of them. 

If you haven't locked down your private tour, have you considered a boat tour?   If you are considering that, there is a charter boat business with a reference to a White Whale (not sure I can directly recommend here) that is great.  Does everything from charter fishing, snorkeling, & island tours by sea.

20 hours ago, Langham1865 said:

If you haven't locked down your private tour, have you considered a boat tour?   If you are considering that, there is a charter boat business with a reference to a White Whale (not sure I can directly recommend here) that is great.  Does everything from charter fishing, snorkeling, & island tours by sea.

Thanks.  Would be interested in a boat tour.  I don't think CC cares if you post about an excursion.

We always enjoy the Goslings Rum evening cruise.  NCL offers an excursion for it.  With the $50 credit plus the Latitudes discount, it is REALLY CHEAP!!!  Lots of free flowing rums, and you get to taste some of their other offerings.  Lots of fun and laughs and RUM!!

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks.  Would be interested in a boat tour.  I don't think CC cares if you post about an excursion.

Well in that case Moby Dick Charters.  https://www.mobydickchartersbermuda.com/ in full disclosure I have know the owner since I was a kid.  Captain Pete it a great guy.  When he isn't hired for charters he does a lot of fishing and I think sell to some of the restaurants on the island. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Langham1865 said:

Well in that case Moby Dick Charters.  https://www.mobydickchartersbermuda.com/ in full disclosure I have know the owner since I was a kid.  Captain Pete it a great guy.  When he isn't hired for charters he does a lot of fishing and I think sell to some of the restaurants on the island. 

Cool!  I'll check them out! TY!

3 minutes ago, rainmakerjjo said:

Just off the Joy today.  Amazing staff in the Haven, including Irene at the bar.  Enjoy your trip!

When I was on the Joy last fall, Irene was the bartender in the Observation Lounge. I'm assuming a move to the Haven is a step up if not a promotion for her. She is a delight!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellenw said:

When I was on the Joy last fall, Irene was the bartender in the Observation Lounge. I'm assuming a move to the Haven is a step up if not a promotion for her. She is a delight!

It will be interesting if you see the same bartender.  I was on a sailing where I went on the NCL Bliss ~ 6 weeks apart, the first experience was in the Haven.  A number of people recognized me on the second cruise because they change the Haven employees.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:08 PM, graphicguy said:

Little off topic, and I already have more backpacks than I know what to do with.  But, I own this one, too.  It is a great back pack for cruising....storing laptop, electronics, underwear, shoes, etc....all those things that you may or may not need, but glad you have when you need them.

This is such a great price, I thought I'd share...

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/pro-slim-laptop-backpack/117775XXXX.html?dwvar_117775XXXX_color=Heathered Graphite&cgid=backpacks

I have a half dozen backpacks, however my go to the last few years has been this one. If fits my MBP and most of my camera gear, best its pretty comfortable    https://amzn.to/45730AJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I have a half dozen backpacks, however my go to the last few years has been this one. If fits my MBP and most of my camera gear, best its pretty comfortable    https://amzn.to/45730AJ

See...Cruise Critic can also be a place where even back pack knowledge is welcomed.

Seems like over the years I've accumulated back packs like people accumulate cruise ducks.

Thanks!

• Haha 2

Beginning to organize what I'm taking and taking a mental inventory of what I'll need.

-Putting pills in a pill holder for the week

-charging the insta360 cam

-charging my iPods

-will go to the bank today to get "traveling money"

-double (triple) check I know where my Passport is

-print out eDocs and put them in my "travel folder"

Time to shift into high gear....less than 2 weeks to go before sailaway.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Beginning to organize what I'm taking and taking a mental inventory of what I'll need.

-Putting pills in a pill holder for the week

-charging the insta360 cam

-charging my iPods

-will go to the bank today to get "traveling money"

-double (triple) check I know where my Passport is

-print out eDocs and put them in my "travel folder"

Time to shift into high gear....less than 2 weeks to go before sailaway.

Busy is good, I have a bad fault of getting things together too early. I already have our snorkeling gear / beach stuff packed. I will most likely end up going back in a few weeks to check on it, did I pack this or that Lol. My son just got engaged over the weekend and we were down in Alexandria for that this weekend

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Busy is good, I have a bad fault of getting things together too early. I already have our snorkeling gear / beach stuff packed. I will most likely end up going back in a few weeks to check on it, did I pack this or that Lol. My son just got engaged over the weekend and we were down in Alexandria for that this weekend

I'm the same.  If I start packing TOO early, I forget what I packed and still end up forgetting something because I thought I already packed it, when I didn't.  Plus, things change over time and I usually require different packing items.

Someone hit my car while I was going through an intersection (I had the right of way) a few weeks ago.  Their insurance adjuster just declared my car "totaled".  So, I have to find a new car this week.  Got my B-Day coming up this weekend.  GF invited a bunch of friends and we're all going to my favorite restaurant (https://pompilios.com, where they partially filmed Rain Man).  Have an awards dinner to attend the night before the cruise.  So, things are getting really busy.

Congrats to your son and your entire family on the engagement.  Exciting times for your family, too.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'm the same.  If I start packing TOO early, I forget what I packed and still end up forgetting something because I thought I already packed it, when I didn't.  Plus, things change over time and I usually require different packing items.

Someone hit my car while I was going through an intersection (I had the right of way) a few weeks ago.  Their insurance adjuster just declared my car "totaled".  So, I have to find a new car this week.  Got my B-Day coming up this weekend.  GF invited a bunch of friends and we're all going to my favorite restaurant (https://pompilios.com, where they partially filmed Rain Man).  Have an awards dinner to attend the night before the cruise.  So, things are getting really busy.

Congrats to your son and your entire family on the engagement.  Exciting times for your family, too.

Ugh.... sucks about the car. Thanks, we absolutely adore my new soon to be daughter in law

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 9:27 AM, Laszlo said:

Ugh.... sucks about the car. Thanks, we absolutely adore my new soon to be daughter in law

I'll get over it.  I wasn't hurt.  

Just got info from the other guy's insurance.  I went to their local office and the local agent had a check waiting for me AFTER I signed their paperwork and MEDICAL WAIVER (insurance companies always are afraid the medical issues).

Did a lot of shopping over the last few days.  Getting inundated with sales voice and emails.

Think I've settled on one.  

All's well that ends well.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'll get over it.  I wasn't hurt.  

Just got info from the other guy's insurance.  I went to their local office and the local agent had a check waiting for me AFTER I signed their paperwork and MEDICAL WAIVER (insurance companies always are afraid the medical issues).

Did a lot of shopping over the last few days.  Getting inundated with sales voice and emails.

Think I've settled on one.  

All's well that ends well.

Something sleek and fast? Lol

39 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Something sleek and fast? Lol

Ummmm.....pretty fast.  Sleek?  Probably not!

Would love sleek and fast, though.

Corvette would work. But having test driven one (which was a blast), and then having to "push" myself up out of it, not really a "thing" for me.  Funny, every person I've ever seen driving a Corvette has had trouble getting in and/or out of it, not because it's an ergonomic catastrophe, but because they are way older when they first dreamt of buying one.  LOL!

I had an Audi S6..fast as greased lightening.  Nightmare for upkeep on it.

Had a Mustang Cobra Convertible.....fun car.  But sold it as I was garaging it idle for 8 months out of the year.

Love fast cars.  Kind of leaning into being more comfortable these days, though.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Ummmm.....pretty fast.  Sleek?  Probably not!

Would love sleek and fast, though.

Corvette would work. But having test driven one (which was a blast), and then having to "push" myself up out of it, not really a "thing" for me.  Funny, every person I've ever seen driving a Corvette has had trouble getting in and/or out of it, not because it's an ergonomic catastrophe, but because they are way older when they first dreamt of buying one.  LOL!

I had an Audi S6..fast as greased lightening.  Nightmare for upkeep on it.

Had a Mustang Cobra Convertible.....fun car.  But sold it as I was garaging it idle for 8 months out of the year.

Love fast cars.  Kind of leaning into being more comfortable these days, though.

I hear you, my nice weather ride is a 2008 Saab 93 convertible. I absolutely love it. 100K issue free miles. I was heartbroken when Saab shut down