Do we have to stay in the cruise terminal after checking in? (Seattle NCL Bell Street Pier 66 NCL Cruise Terminal)

We board Encore on Sunday, May 19th. Our check-in time is 9:30 a.m., and boarding on the ship is at 12 p.m.

Do we need to stay in the cruise terminal after entering and checking in? I want to drop bags, check-in, and then leave to go to Pike Place empty-handed with my ship room key to return and just walk on the ship after 12pm instead of sitting and waiting in the cruise terminal for 2.5 hours. If I can leave, I was just wondering if there is another queue line to enter and go straight on board when I return instead of going through the check-in line again. Thank you! 

Just drop your bags, check in when you are ready to board. Avoid the 9:30 check-in rush. No guarantees that there won't be crowds later but I don't see any advantage whatsoever in checking in if you aren't ready to board. Just because you chose a 9:30 check-in time doesn't mean you can't come later, at your convenience.

Note - there isn't a place to drop any carry-on bags, you'll have to either check them or keep them with you until you board.

• Like 1

I’ve been researching this same question and never heard an answer, So I’d be curious what you find out. But everything I read also suggested dropping off luggage as soon as 9am and then coming back to check in around 12 or 1.

Post 2 is correct, but just to clarify - dropping off your bags is the first thing you will do and disconnected from checking in.  After dropping off your bags, you can either walk to the check in line or you can wander off and do whatever until you come back and check in.  Once you check in you are in a holding area until you board.

3 minutes ago, jdub99 said:

Post 2 is correct, but just to clarify - dropping off your bags is the first thing you will do and disconnected from checking in.  After dropping off your bags, you can either walk to the check in line or you can wander off and do whatever until you come back and check in.  Once you check in you are in a holding area until you board.

Got it. So we cannot leave once we enter the queue to check in and enter the terminal. Thank you! 

12 minutes ago, dpavid96789 said:

Got it. So we cannot leave once we enter the queue to check in and enter the terminal. Thank you! 

There is no reason you can't leave after you've checked in - but you will have to wait in line to go through security again. 

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

There is no reason you can't leave after you've checked in - but you will have to wait in line to go through security again. 

Ah, I got it. I want to dump all my luggage; I will not have any carry-ons on the ship. I'm sending everything straight to the stateroom. I will have a small travel backpack, the same one I take on excursions, with personal items I'll keep. When I return to board the ship, I can go through security, bypass the check-in counter since I'll already have my stateroom key, and board the ship. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

19 minutes ago, dpavid96789 said:

There is nothing stopping you. You will need your passports and ticket to enter the terminal. 

You’ll have to find out how to get back downstairs since all escalators go up. 

I would just drop bags and leave check in to later. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Aloha???

Suggestion: if you are staying at a hotel downtown, ask them to hang on to your bags, go sightseeing, come back, pick-up your bags and head to the ship.

You have to be onboard 2 HOURS prior to the scheduled posted sailing time.  Chances are your cabin will not be available before 2 P.M.

Enjoy the city of Seattle and your cruise.

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There is nothing stopping you. You will need your passports and ticket to enter the terminal. 

Aloha???

Good idea if I need to go through the same queue again, Yes, Aloha!

3 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Suggestion: if you are staying at a hotel downtown, ask them to hang on to your bags, go sightseeing, come back, pick-up your bags and head to the ship.

You have to be onboard 2 HOURS prior to the scheduled posted sailing time.  Chances are your cabin will not be available before 2 P.M.

Enjoy the city of Seattle and your cruise.

Good suggestion, but we're staying at Hilton Motif, in the opposite direction of the cruise terminal from Pike Market. I think we'll just dump bags and walk to Pike Market and check in later. That sounds like the best plan. Thank you! 

4 minutes ago, dpavid96789 said:

Good idea if I need to go through the same queue again, Yes, Aloha!

Cool!!!

I spend part of the year on the island and know where that is. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Aloha???

I had to check that comment, "Welcome to Cruise Critic!" I think the website logged me in using Google instead of my account, which I had for a while. I logged out and had to log in with my regular one. That was weird. Thanks for catching it.