MDR attire at breakfast and lunch

I will be on Joy next month and I hope to avoid eating in the buffet as much as possible since it seems undersized and cruise buffets are always so chaotic.  Will I be able to wear a swimsuit with a coverup in Taste/Savor for breakfast and lunch?  I’d like to avoid having to go back to the cabin and change or tote around extra clothes.  I have some coverups that are basically a casual knit t-shirt style dress and those should be fine.  But some of them are partially sheer (crochet or lace) and you can see the swimsuit underneath.  Those are the ones I’m not sure about.  (I would be dry of course.)

NCL says that coverups, shirts and footwear are required, and you would seem to meet those requirements. as for the buffet... the joy buffet is one of the largest and best in the fleet. i don't think anyone would call it undersized. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't remember ever seeing see through type coverup on MDR so based on my experience they would be a no-no. They are tbh a bit tacky for the MDR type of surrounding. Also, obviously, the swimsuit underneath cannot be wet (not a problem during mornings I guess but might be for lunch). Knit type casual dresses and a dry swimsuit underneath are more than ok. 

Just a thought: Joy MDR are deck 6 I do believe whereas the pool is at deck 16. It's a long way to pop for a lunch and head back to pool. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 1

The NCL buffets are pretty good, certainly not undersized.

I don't mind seeing 😁, but I don't remember seeing ladies wearing bikinis with crochet/knit see-though coverups in MDRs.  Maybe other ladies don't wear that to go into MDRs or they are not allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I don't remember ever seeing see through type coverup on MDR so based on my experience they would be a no-no. They are tbh a bit tacky for the MDR type of surrounding. Also, obviously, the swimsuit underneath cannot be wet (not a problem during mornings I guess but might be for lunch). Knit type casual dresses and a dry swimsuit underneath are more than ok. 

Just a thought: Joy MDR are deck 6 I do believe whereas the pool is at deck 16. It's a long way to pop for a lunch and head back to pool. 

I wasn’t sure because we sailed Celebrity in the retreat and the Luminae restaurant always allowed it and it’s kind of fancy.  I’ll be best to not wear them just in case.

15 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

I wasn’t sure because we sailed Celebrity in the retreat and the Luminae restaurant always allowed it and it’s kind of fancy.  I’ll be best to not wear them just in case.

Isn't that the suites-only restaurant? That may be why they allowed some leeway in the recommended dress code for that restaurant, since you were a suite guest. Generally, swimwear with cover-up is only allowed in the buffet. 

Posted (edited)

I was on the Joy in Feb. It was the best buffet I have ever experienced on an NCL ship. We usually eat breakfast in the MDR and went to the buffet every day. 

That being said. For breakfast in the MDR, you could show up in PJs and slippers. 

Edited by jules181
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jules181 said:

I was on the Joy in Feb. It was the best buffet I have ever experienced on an NCL ship. We usually eat breakfast in the MDR and went to the buffet every day. 

That being said. For breakfast in the MDR, you could show up in PJs and slippers. 

Glad to hear you liked the buffet.  I will give it a try. I watched a Youtube video of a travel agent reviewing aspects of the Joy and he said the buffet was too small and always overcrowded.  I’ll have to decide for myself.  It would be more convenient for lunch but breakfast I do enjoy MDR it’s more relaxing and pleasant.

Posted (edited)

you sure that was the joy?

i can't imagine any travel agent describing the joy's buffet as "small." it's one of the largest in the fleet or on many cruise ships.  surely the TA has been on other NCL ships or other cruise ships... that is just an incredible statement, as in the original sense of the word... not credible.

it can indeed get crowded, but that's because the ship's passenger capacity is well in excess of 4,000. there are other NCL ships with much smaller buffets, including the new prima class ships which have taken a fair amount of criticism for being far too small.

Edited by UKstages

58 minutes ago, UKstages said:

you sure that was the joy?

i can't imagine any travel agent describing the joy's buffet as "small." it's one of the largest in the fleet or on many cruise ships.  surely the TA has been on other NCL ships or other cruise ships... that is just an incredible statement, as in the original sense of the word... not credible.

it can indeed get crowded, but that's because the ship's passenger capacity is well in excess of 4,000. there are other NCL ships with much smaller buffets, including the new prima class ships which have taken a fair amount of criticism for being far too small.

He said it was too small for the size of the ship.  I’m glad people are telling me otherwise since it’s inevitable I will need to use it many times during my cruise.  It’s just me so maybe finding seating for 1 will be easier if they have like high top seating or something like that.  He did say he’s been on most of the NCL fleet so who knows what he’s talking about.  His videos were honestly quite lackluster and he rambled unnecessarily a lot of the time.  I just watched to see videos of what some of the dining venues looked like since NCL has few pics online.

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Isn't that the suites-only restaurant? That may be why they allowed some leeway in the recommended dress code for that restaurant, since you were a suite guest. Generally, swimwear with cover-up is only allowed in the buffet. 

Yes it’s for suites/Retreat guests.  I asked if it was ok to show up dressed like that and they were like heck yeah.   I was surprised it was so relaxed given it was a very elegant and high end restaurant.  I thought maybe NCL being a more relaxed style of cruising might be relaxed about this too.  I haven’t sailed NCL in 8 years so I can’t recall these little details and don’t want to look out of place or tacky.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Yes it’s for suites/Retreat guests.  I asked if it was ok to show up dressed like that and they were like heck yeah.   I was surprised it was so relaxed given it was a very elegant and high end restaurant.  I thought maybe NCL being a more relaxed style of cruising might be relaxed about this too.  I haven’t sailed NCL in 8 years so I can’t recall these little details and don’t want to look out of place or tacky.

I think Luminae being a 'limited access' dining venue specifically only for suite and retreat guests they are more likely to say yes, as opposed to turning you away like they would for the general main dining room, even on NCL, while they still try and follow some manner of a dress code. 

Edited by dmwnc1959

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

It’s just me so maybe finding seating for 1 will be easier if they have like high top seating or something like that.

the joy does have some high top tables up front and in the back. most seat four or six.

for solo dining, the biggest problem is not finding a table... it's keeping it. when you go up to get another drink or select more food, sometimes they will clear your table and somebody else will claim it. you'll either need to befriend people dining nearby and ask them to look out for you, or talk to the waiter who clears your table and tell them you'll be returning shortly. if you intend to eat at the buffet a lot, i recommend printing out a sign at home and bringing it with you... "table occupied. be right back."

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

if you intend to eat at the buffet a lot, i recommend printing out a sign at home and bringing it with you... "table occupied. be right back."

Now you've gone and given the chair hogs at the pool an idea. 😁

• Haha 5

Luminae and Haven Restaurant are more similar than different.  Certainly the menu choices are unique to either, but the experiences are very similar.

That said, I always ask people what they think would be appropriate?  I don't know that Haven Restaurant or Luminae will be more or less tolerant than in the MDRs.

I'm all for casual.  I did a dance around my luggage when I didn't have to pack a tie or dress shirts any more.  Personally, I think long pants might only have a place in colder climates.

But boy, have I seen some swim suits (or should I say the bodies in those swim suits) under coverups (because those really aren't that good at covering up anything) that I'd rather not be subject to.  Do yourself, and others around you, a favor.  At least change into some shorts over the swim suit.  Those who are dining around you will appreciate it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Now you've gone and given the chair hogs at the pool an idea. 😁

I'm a betting man, and my bet those signs may last a few minutes, at most.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the joy does have some high top tables up front and in the back. most seat four or six.

for solo dining, the biggest problem is not finding a table... it's keeping it. when you go up to get another drink or select more food, sometimes they will clear your table and somebody else will claim it. you'll either need to befriend people dining nearby and ask them to look out for you, or talk to the waiter who clears your table and tell them you'll be returning shortly. if you intend to eat at the buffet a lot, i recommend printing out a sign at home and bringing it with you... "table occupied. be right back."

I will be ok in that case, I never go for seconds in the buffet.  One and done.  I like to get in and out pretty quickly and usually eat pretty light.  High tops are usually the ones that are empty at a buffet so maybe I’ll luck out there.

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Luminae and Haven Restaurant are more similar than different.  Certainly the menu choices are unique to either, but the experiences are very similar.

That said, I always ask people what they think would be appropriate?  I don't know that Haven Restaurant or Luminae will be more or less tolerant than in the MDRs.

I'm all for casual.  I did a dance around my luggage when I didn't have to pack a tie or dress shirts any more.  Personally, I think long pants might only have a place in colder climates.

But boy, have I seen some swim suits (or should I say the bodies in those swim suits) under coverups (because those really aren't that good at covering up anything) that I'd rather not be subject to.  Do yourself, and others around you, a favor.  At least change into some shorts over the swim suit.  Those who are dining around you will appreciate it.

I guess I am used to some higher end AI resorts we’ve stayed at in Mexico (Excellence, Finest) where is totally the norm to go to breakfast and lunch in the full service restaurants in a cover up, and sheer is fine. The first time we went I was wondering why I was the only person in proper street clothes and never made that mistake again.  But I guess the vibe is different in an MDR on a cruise.  For what it’s worth, I would never offend anyone in a swimsuit/coverup.  I don’t dress in barely there swimsuits, the coverups have pretty good coverage just not 100% and I am not one of those you are describing.  But I won’t do it on this cruise based on the feedback I’ve gotten.  CC is so helpful in this regard.

the wording on the "dress code" sign (available at the host desk at most restaurants) stipulates:

"daytime, 24-hour and food hall: coverups, shirts and footwear are required."