Carnival Corp completes the fleet!

they're certainly not equally fast nor consistent, across ships.

i was just on the firenze, and while premium internet was good, not as great as on the jubilee.

23 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Was on the Panorama with starlink and it still seemed slow...

I think it is possible. Installing Starlink doesn't upgrade the rest of the ship infrastructure - number of access points, etc. I have found speeds can vary greatly moving around a ship.

35 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Great, a much higher price with negligible speed improvement. Just what I wanted.

Ask and you shall receive. Starlink is raising rates!

https://www.tesla-mag.com/en/spacex-adjusts-starlink-pricing-implications-for-u-s-users-and-the-broadband-market/

but nobody is forced to buy. Entirely optional.

• Like 1

Cabin/Ship structures are metal, and are really bad at allowing radio frequency (RF - as in Wifi RF), to penetrate through walls, floors, and ceilings (all metal on a cruise ship). Even with better internet source speeds, your actual experience can vary greatly depending on where you are located. As in how close you are to a properly setup wifi access point. Even 30 feet down the hall from an access point, the signal gets really bad.

I surveyed wifi signal strength on cabin decks on the Legend and the Magic, and it went from -42 dBm (pretty good) to -92 dBm (really bad) and occasionally non-existent.

Sitting at home right now (on a 4 node mesh network) I get a range of -26 dBm to -68 dBm.

Geeks gotta geek. (I used “airport utility” app on ios mobile devices to measure the signal strength - it’s free, download it before your cruise)

• -30 dBm: The best possible signal strength, and your device is likely only a few feet from the AP 
  • -50 dBm: Excellent signal strength 
  • -60 dBm: Very good signal strength 
  • -65 dBm: Good, reliable signal strength 
  • -70 dBm: Okay signal strength, and the minimum signal strength required for a decent packet delivery 
  • -80 dBm: Borderline useless, and packet delivery may be unreliable 
  • -90 dBm: Signal is really weak, and (almost) impossible to connect to

• Like 1