Cabin underneath the cinema... How bad will it be?

Hi everyone, when booking our Norway cruise, we choose an inside forward cabin as we do not mind the ship's movement and there are not many entertainment areas there. Today P&O "upgraded" us to an inside cabin midship... right underneath Ocean Studios. They have some late showings in the cinema, how bad will the noise be at night? (During the day, we can be away from our cabin.) I suppose there is nothing that we can do to refuse this "upgrade"?

The cabin is 5559 on Iona for reference.

44 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

Hi everyone, when booking our Norway cruise, we choose an inside forward cabin as we do not mind the ship's movement and there are not many entertainment areas there. Today P&O "upgraded" us to an inside cabin midship... right underneath Ocean Studios. They have some late showings in the cinema, how bad will the noise be at night? (During the day, we can be away from our cabin.) I suppose there is nothing that we can do to refuse this "upgrade"?

Always worth a call, we did it once and they agreed to let us stay in our original cabin. 

Good luck

Andy 

Thanks @AndyMichelle, it cannot hurt to give them a call and ask.

Anyone has personal experience of those cabins? I saw cabins under the theatre or club in several "to be avoided" cabin list, but nothing about what it is like to be under the cinema. 

Having been inside the cinema I wouldn't say it's particularly loud. The screens are quite small so it isn't loudly broadcasting to a large venue, and the sound transfer to the waiting area outside is minimal.

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this. I called P&O this morning, I took quite a long wait to get someone on the line (45 min) but the customer service lady was very nice. She offered me to upgrade to the Select fare to be able to choose my cabin. For a decent location, that would have been 240£ more, and that is a lot of money to me. Since I couldn't find any negative feedback about the cabin we are currently assigned to, we decided to stick to it so, in a month, I can tell you how bad (or hopefully how actually ok) it is to be under the cinema.

• Like 1

To be honest, I could think of much worse places than a relatively small cinema to be under - which is surely sound proofed anyway.  A large theatre, the buffet and the pool deck immediately spring to mind.  Given you are going to the fjords, you are unlikely to be spending much time in your cabin, save for getting ready for dinner and sleeping.   It was worth your call to P&O to see what alternatives there were.    I'm sure everything will be fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's dancing or moving deck furniture noise that comes through ceiling.  Expect sound proofing works for cinema 

The real problem is the boom boom boom from the bass.  It can revert around the cabin and even cause small vibration. 

I have no knowledge if this happens in the cabins below the cinema however I can confirm it happens in cabins near the theatre.

On 5/15/2024 at 7:21 PM, MyriamS said:

We were watching the flamenco dancer in atrium on Arvia. That's on deck 6. I did wonder how much it was appreciated in the deck 5 cabins.

50 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We were watching the flamenco dancer in atrium on Arvia. That's on deck 6. I did wonder how much it was appreciated in the deck 5 cabins.

Fine by me as long as the flamenco dancer is done by 11pm! 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Deck 5 is a apparently a nightmare in places. 710 club is probably the worst according to the reception

The stage for the flamenco dancer is just outside the 710 club.

• Like 1