5-16-24 Thursday Weigh-In----What now?

At one time this sight was busy, we talked a lot. Not just Thursday. Did challenges. Recipes.

Of course, more people came.in then.

We need to make this site more interesting. Give tips or is it too late?

Do you want to keep this going. I don't mine starting each week    But if no one comes in and talks.     

The question is do want to try to get this site get better for weight loss or just give it up this site.                  

Belle, I don't want this site to be given up ..... Even when people don't talk they visit ... there are always people who check it out.  I know I don't talk as much as I used to, and for that I am very sorry.  I will try to be better at communicating.  

I did weigh myself this morning (after having breakfast) and I am up 1.2#.  Not happy, but I haven't been eating the way I should be.  This is the place I can say that!!! 

Today I have PT .... my back/knee is still not what it should be, but yesterday I was able to walk up steps one foot on each step (for about 4 steps) ... I see that an an improvement.  I also have my mammogram today ... I'm always a little apprehensive about that .... but am sure it will be ok.   Hope everyone has a good week.  Jan

Belle, I hope this forum does not go away.  When I found it I wasn't sure how broad the topic was and wasn't sure if it was anything more than a check-in/weigh-in with some words of encouragement (things we can all use).  I can definitely contribute more to help introduce additional nutrition, weight loss, fitness topics.  I just didn't want to hijack a thread with what might have been irrelevant "noise".  Most of my free time is in the later evenings (demanding work schedule) but sometimes (a lot of time, frequently) I have lulls while I wait for one of my manufacturer software programs to update.  I'll try to help keep the topics flowing.  

For me today, I am down a full pound!  Hallelujah!  I had really stalled and that was affecting my motivation.  This weekend we head to my sisters and she is a foodie, so.....challenges on the horizon.  

I am headed out the door now to my Personal Trainer.  I am wearing a chest strap heart monitor that records an ECG while I workout.  I have an appointment with my internal medicine doctor in a couple of weeks and want to collect some data about my vertigo, which seems to be aggravated by a spiking heart rate.  I am carrying a banana to eat 15 minutes before I get there (I have errands to run first) and I am doing the workout first, THEN I will do my mile on the treadmill.  I did that yesterday and it seemed to keep the dizzy spells at bay.  I am really hoping this is just a case of deconditioning and that it will take awhile to build my stamina back up without adverse effect.  

Jan, years ago (about 14 years) when we had the crash of 2010, the company I had worked for for 30 years closed and I was panicking about what I was going to do.  I had been working with a Personal Trainer for several years and was a peak fitness.  I thought I might enjoy that work.  So I studied to become a personal trainer.  I was given a client to work with that had MS and who was willing to swap workouts for some feedback (so it was a nonpaid position for me).  Unfortunately, my expenses were higher than my income and I had to abandon that endeavor and started my own window company instead.  Anyway, during my studies, I became very interested in Geriatric personal training.  I had been training my mother, who at that time was 80 and we had made some really good progress with her activities of daily living.  There is a really, really important thing to remember....you can't take the 5th step, until you have completed the fourth step.  And you can't take the 4th step until you have completed the 3rd step.  Remember, you are on your journey of completing a mile and every single step of that journey is necessary and a huge accomplishment.  

• Like 1

Good morning Belle, Jan, Hopeful.

I haven’t weighed still not on track.  

My walking tolerance has declined to abt 1/4 mile.  I know the bones have healed and just remind myself the orthopedist stated it could take 3-6minths to be pain free.

i also am not tolerating the heat (mosquitoes are also horrible)

• Like 1

@Belle I think the thread is helpful but I know I did not read it for a long time because I really didn’t understand the concept of “Thursday Weigh-In”. Once I finally read several threads, then I caught on.

I suppose I didn’t understand as I weigh every morning and every night. If I waited to step on the scale until a Thursday, there would be little or no chance for me to keep my weight where it needs to be.

For me, it’s very helpful to weigh at night and I’ve gotten very good at guessing what the number will be. Then at night, I guess what the number will be the next morning. I’m almost always right!

It wasn’t much fun when the scale was WAAAAAY higher than it is now. It too me a bit over 2 years of not only “eating right” but actually attending to the amount of food I eat. I got a calorie counting app (with many thanks to a fellow cruiser who shared her secret!) and note my weight each morning and all the foods I eat every day. It has now been 826 continuous days of logging weight & food intake.

I’m at the weight I want to be, which is actually 25 pounds less than I thought I could ever attain or maintain!! When I cruise or travel, I can fairly accurately enter my weight without using a scale and I do my best guess when logging foods. I know that I’ll over indulge so advance of travel, I try to go two pounds lower than my regular weight so when I return, I might only be up 2-3 pounds.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

• Like 1

gotta cruise again - thank you so much for posting ... and getting to the point where you want to be weight wise.  (I'd type more, but baby dog needs attention) ... talk tomorrow.  Jan

Good to see everyone. Will keep it going.

Sorry I haven't been on. My computer just wasn't working.

Checking every day and now tonight it's working.

Will talk more tomorrow. oh I lost a pound.

DH and I went to visit my sister this weekend.  She is a real foodie and a really good cook.  We went out to dinner one evening (prime Rib) and we had a back yard BBQ the next.  I ate well both days but stayed away from bread items with the exception of a piece of cake that I split with my husband.  I only drank one glass of wine.  I helped myself to a lot of a wonderful salad with lots of fruit and I had a decent helping of smoked pork (no sauce).  I stepped on the scale this morning and there is no change, so I breathed a sigh of relief.  I'll go back to my lighter meals this week and will workout with my trainer twice this week.

By the way, did you know that the largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus (our butts), followed by our quadriceps (front of the thigh).  Our hamstrings (back of the thigh) are pretty big muscles too.  When we work to tone our muscles, they require more energy.  That energy typically comes from burning fat.  The fat we have in our bodies is a veritable storage vault of energy just waiting to be converted to feed our muscles when we use them.  So our larger muscles burn more fat when we work to tone them.  One of the best ways to tone all three of those  large muscle groups is by performing squats.  I know....many of us here have physical ailments or limitations that make squats impossible.  But there is a way you can learn to squat simply by sitting in a chair and then standing up again.  Then sit back down in the chair and then stand up again.  When you do this, you are going through the motions of a squat.  To get the most out of this, start with a firm chair like a dinner chair.  Stand in front of the chair with your feet about a foot apart.  Then slowly, and without using your hands to support you, sit down.  Try to make this a controlled move.  Then, without using your hands to help push from the chair, slowly stand up (this part may be tricky for those who have not done this in a long time, but give it a try).  You can use your arms in a swinging motion to help give you a little momentum, but try not to push off with your hands.  This is the basic anatomy of a squat.  It also will help to strengthen the muscles in your lower back.  For anyone who would like to try this, I suggest that you sit down and stand back up 10 times (all in one set) each day for 2 weeks.  As you get stronger, you'll remove the chair but for now, this will help build the muscles to move onto to the more advanced move.

Also, something else to look forward to.  Once your muscles recognize that they are consistently being worked, they will begin to respond and toning will commence.  Once that happens, those same muscles will continue to burn fat even while you sleep.  (they just needed a little encouragement)..

• Like 2