TOKYO Haneda, Hotel, Transfers, Yen, Customs and more

AKJonesy

We recently returned from our cruise from Japan and I thought it might be helpful for some to share my research and experience.  I started out actually watching some you tube vids of the airport because many people have shared their "how to dos" so that was very helpful.  

MY CHOICE for how we navigated and where we stayed was based on the fact that right now, I am using a cane due to a hip replacement so I have about a 2 mile max walking limit per day before I get tired out, so keep that in mind as you read on.  Also, WHAT TIME YOU ARRIVE will influence choices for transportation into the city or Yokohama.  More on that. 

We ordered some YEN in advance from our bank.  We inquired as to the exchange and when we compared it to what we were going to be charged using credit or debit card, it was fair.  So, we arrived with YEN in hand, but in the end, we didn't need ANY.  More on that.  

We arrived in Haneda HND at 8 pm and had no idea how long customs and immigration were going to take.  It was quite a walk from arrivals to customs and immigration.  Walking at a very fast pace (with a cane - lol),  it took about 15-20 minutes.  There were 3 arrivals around the same time so the lines became long very quickly.  Since we hustled, it took about 15 minutes through customs and immigration AFTER walking the 15 to 20 minutes.  But, if you walk more slowly and if there are other flights, then the queue could get long.  So, you have to consider this when arriving at night.

Considering the arrival time and unknown regarding customs and immigration, we opted for one of the hotels at the airport.  Also, some of the you tubers mentioned that busses and trains are limited later in the evening and taxis are also more expensive.  It just wasn't worth the guess.  Also, at the time of booking a hotel, we still didn't have confirmation from Holland of which pier, so that influenced the decision to stay at hotel in addition to most likely being very tired on arrival. We stayed two nights right at the hotel.  No, it wasn't one of those airport hotel experiences where you heard flights coming and going.  I guess the word was "serene".  We stayed at the Hotel Villa Fontaine Grand Haneda.  In addition, the hotel's Onsen was included in our price which was about $185 per night.  An onsen is a hot spring with many pools and separate for men and women.  OMG, the experience of this was like a luxury spa.  You are provided with spa clothes and slippers in your hotel room and instructions.  There are hot pools, cold pools, outside hot spring, inside hot spring, showers, sleeping rooms, hot slabs, and more.  I would do this again in a heartbeat.  In addition, the hotel had a wonderful breakfast.  Ours was not included but I believe it was about $22-$25PP and worth it.  They had everything and we leisurely had our breakfast.  For lunch or dinner, we went to the Haneda Garden (mall) attached to the airport.  BTW, everything is inside on the unsecured side of the airport.  The food was beautiful and fabulous.  You could get just about anything you wanted.  There are drug stores, shopping stores, and more.  Watch a YT vid of the Haneda Garden Mall.

Transportation to Yokohama - On our cruise day, we checked out at the last minute.  This was intentional because we didn't want to experience the rush of all those people who like to get to the ship first.  Plus, we are 4 star so we got priority boarding anyway.  But, I do suggest from the number of people to get there later than earlier.  Many people were sitting down in what appeared to be groups awaiting boarding.  We checked out late then took the Keikyu Bus which was the best option to get to Yokohama for us.  I had already known from watching YT vids that there was a manned bus ticketing counter at the airport, so we didn't have to fiddle figuring out how to buy the tickets.  The counter is right when you come out of arrivals after clearing customs.  We paid with cc and opted for the YEN price vs USD (better rate).  The cost was $6.60 each.  We took the elevator down one floor to #8 bus stand.  The bus stand attendant took our tickets and put our luggage under the bus.  We did not have to handle it as you would on the train.  (A downside to the train was having to transfer at the big station and we didn't want to do that, nor take a taxi from there to the pier as many did).  We were dropped about 100m from the pier and it was easy to roll the bag on the sidewalk.  We got on board all said and done around 2pm and left the ship to walk around Yokohama (much to do there) until dinner time.  Our ship departed at 8pm.  Keikyu Bus:  https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-yamashita/  NOTE:  As mentioned, trains become limited later in evening and prices for taxis go up.  Plus, we did not know how tired we would be when we arrived and all of this worked out perfect.  Keep in mind that trains have limited space for luggage; another reason not to use train and I did NOT want to do a transfer either for train or bus because the stations are huge and walking around with luggage was not going to be fun.  

A few more things.  In the end, we never needed any Yen because we were able to pay with CC for transportation and food.  However, in saying that, there are many mom and pop places in Japan and they don't take CC.  So, I still advise getting some Yen.  We had about the equiv of $200 and we brought about $100 home.  On one of our stops we decided on a picnic, picking up some beautiful food at the grocery store and using Yen to pay for it.  We will use the remainder on another trip.  No tipping is done in Japan.  Don't sweat the small stuff; you'll figure it out.  There are many people to help you.  We filled out the forms for custom and immigration in advance and got the QR code, but don't panic; you can still fill out the paper form they give you on the airplane.  Some people mentioned on this forum that the QR code was faster.  We ended up just handing the paper form and we were never asked about the QR code.  PRESCIPTION MEDS - Make SURE you understand which drugs are allowed into Japan.  Don't make any assumptions.  Please be advised that you should apply for the Yunyu Kakunin-sho at least two weeks in advance of your travel date to Japan. We had to get approval for my husband's Vit B 12 shots and syringes.  Some people said it could take a bit to receive the official form in return.  We got ours back in a few days.  I also inquired in general regarding vitamins and they replied that those could be brought in without the form.  I didn't use original bottles; I used the daily pill plastic containers.  DO NOT BRING in any narcotics.  If you have a scipt for that, you have to use the official form and get that approved.  Website:  https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/bringing-medications-to-japan.html 

• Thanks 1

Where I disagree with AKJonsey, is that we much prefer to stay in Yokohama (if embarking from one of their three cruise ports) rather than staying near Haneda.  Why?  Yokohama is actually a nice city, in its own right, with an excellent Chinatown, promanade, plenty of restaurants, and excellent public transit (including good metro service to Tokyo).  Even if we were to check-in at 11 pm, that taxi ride from Haneda to a Yokohama hotel should not take more than a half hour.  We would much prefer to wake-up in Yokohama than the Haneda area.   There are less expensive ways to get to Yokohama from Haneda (i.e. bus, train, etc) but we never regret the convenience and ease of grabbing a taxi.  Another option, is one wants to use the train, is to ship your luggage from the airport to your hotel (they can send your luggage to nearly any place in the country) so that you do not need to deal with luggage on a train.  My issue with this is that once you pay for the luggage shipping service (and it takes a few minutes to make the arrangements) it may well be that a taxi would not have cost much more money.

To us, the bigger issue is whether to stay near the port (i.e. Yokohama) or in Tokyo.  We enjoy both cities and basing one's self in Tokyo (we like the Shinjuku area) is very convenient for seeing all that Tokyo has to offer.  

Last year we spent a few days in Tokyo, before taking the train to Kyoto where we spent 6 nights.  For that trip, we did have our hotel ship our luggage ahead to our Kyoto hotel.  We had it at the desk the morning of the day before we checked-out of our Tokyo hotel, and our luggage was waiting for us when we checked-in at Kyoto.  The cost of shipping two large pieces was about $50 and well worth it.  The practice of shipping luggage (to hotels) is very common in Japan.

Hank

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Where I disagree with AKJonsey, is that we much prefer to stay in Yokohama (if embarking from one of their three cruise ports) rather than staying near Haneda.  Why?  Yokohama is actually a nice city, in its own right, with an excellent Chinatown, promanade, plenty of restaurants, and excellent public transit (including good metro service to Tokyo).  Even if we were to check-in at 11 pm, that taxi ride from Haneda to a Yokohama hotel should not take more than a half hour.  We would much prefer to wake-up in Yokohama than the Haneda area.   There are less expensive ways to get to Yokohama from Haneda (i.e. bus, train, etc) but we never regret the convenience and ease of grabbing a taxi.  Another option, is one wants to use the train, is to ship your luggage from the airport to your hotel (they can send your luggage to nearly any place in the country) so that you do not need to deal with luggage on a train.  My issue with this is that once you pay for the luggage shipping service (and it takes a few minutes to make the arrangements) it may well be that a taxi would not have cost much more money.

To us, the bigger issue is whether to stay near the port (i.e. Yokohama) or in Tokyo.  We enjoy both cities and basing one's self in Tokyo (we like the Shinjuku area) is very convenient for seeing all that Tokyo has to offer.  

Last year we spent a few days in Tokyo, before taking the train to Kyoto where we spent 6 nights.  For that trip, we did have our hotel ship our luggage ahead to our Kyoto hotel.  We had it at the desk the morning of the day before we checked-out of our Tokyo hotel, and our luggage was waiting for us when we checked-in at Kyoto.  The cost of shipping two large pieces was about $50 and well worth it.  The practice of shipping luggage (to hotels) is very common in Japan.

Hank

This was very informative. Thank you. Can you remember how much the taxi was as this was our plan also

16 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

This was very informative. Thank you. Can you remember how much the taxi was as this was our plan also

Last year we did not take a taxi from Haneda to Yokohama, since we taxied directly to our Tokyo Hotel.  About 10 days later, we returned to Yokohoma (on the train from Kyoto) and spent a pre-cruise night.  Next year, assuming our cruise embarks from Yokohama, we will probably spend 2 pre-cruise nights in Yokohama, since DW does not want to schlep back to Tokyo.  I would guess that a taxi from Haneda to Yokohama would be around $80-$90.  If flying into Narita, we would suggest finding an alternative to a taxi since that would be quite expensive (at least $200).

Since we do our own air, we make sure to book flights into Haneda, when taking a cruise.  Nothing wrong with Narita, but it is a much longer way to Tokyo and Yokohama.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Last year we did not take a taxi from Haneda to Yokohama, since we taxied directly to our Tokyo Hotel.  About 10 days later, we returned to Yokohoma (on the train from Kyoto) and spent a pre-cruise night.  Next year, assuming our cruise embarks from Yokohama, we will probably spend 2 pre-cruise nights in Yokohama, since DW does not want to schlep back to Tokyo.  I would guess that a taxi from Haneda to Yokohama would be around $80-$90.  If flying into Narita, we would suggest finding an alternative to a taxi since that would be quite expensive (at least $200).

Since we do our own air, we make sure to book flights into Haneda, when taking a cruise.  Nothing wrong with Narita, but it is a much longer way to Tokyo and Yokohama.

Hank

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Very helpful!

Note that the Japanese Yen is currently trading in the ¥156 / US 1$ range. Most of the experts are predicting ¥161 / Dollar.

Most costs and prices in Japan have not been adjusted to the new rates.

Japan has become quite a bargain destination.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank,

AK.Jonsey is a HAL cruiser and pier is Shinko. Unfortunately, the couple had medical challenge, wife had to use a cane due to hip replacement and max 2 mile walk/day, husband requires B12 injection. Haneda Terminal 3,  4/F and 5/F are restaurants and convenience stores, walking from her hotel takes 10 min, under 2000 feet distance. Haneda also had medical emergency station. In Yokohama, I think only Yokohama station had the similar facilities like Haneda and  Yokohama Bay Sheraton is the closest. If they are healthy seniors, then staying in Haneda for 2 days is not a wise decision.

Since you have been to Yokohama many times, if someone had the similar medical condition, which hotel with varieties restaurants nearby, will you recommend? 

I seldom overnight in Yokohama, I always pre-cruise stay in Osaka/Kyoto, I can day trip to Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara and Wakayama. On embankment day, ride the shinkansen, a 2.5 hrs travel to any Yokohama cruise terminal, similar time from Narita to Yokohama. Hotel cost is cheaper than in Tokyo, even factor in the shinkansen fare.

8 hours ago, Peteymil said:

In late March the taxi fare from Haneda to a downtown Yokohama hotel was 10,000 yen. When we disembarked from our ship (Osanbashi pier) the fare from pier to a Haneda hotel was again 10,000 yen.  While we are perfectly mobile, at this stage of our lives, my husband is of the opinion that he doesn't want to wait and we don't need to be overly frugal.  We take private transport.  Convenience is priceless.

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

In late March the taxi fare from Haneda to a downtown Yokohama hotel was 10,000 yen. When we disembarked from our ship (Osanbashi pier) the fare from pier to a Haneda hotel was again 10,000 yen.  While we are perfectly mobile, at this stage of our lives, my husband is of the opinion that he doesn't want to wait and we don't need to be overly frugal.  We take private transport.  Convenience is priceless.

Thank you. We are at that same point. 

8 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Hank,

AK.Jonsey is a HAL cruiser and pier is Shinko. Unfortunately, the couple had medical challenge, wife had to use a cane due to hip replacement and max 2 mile walk/day, husband requires B12 injection. Haneda Terminal 3,  4/F and 5/F are restaurants and convenience stores, walking from her hotel takes 10 min, under 2000 feet distance. Haneda also had medical emergency station. In Yokohama, I think only Yokohama station had the similar facilities like Haneda and  Yokohama Bay Sheraton is the closest. If they are healthy seniors, then staying in Haneda for 2 days is not a wise decision.

Since you have been to Yokohama many times, if someone had the similar medical condition, which hotel with varieties restaurants nearby, will you recommend? 

I seldom overnight in Yokohama, I always pre-cruise stay in Osaka/Kyoto, I can day trip to Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara and Wakayama. On embankment day, ride the shinkansen, a 2.5 hrs travel to any Yokohama cruise terminal, similar time from Narita to Yokohama. Hotel cost is cheaper than in Tokyo, even factor in the shinkansen fare.

Can't say we have been to Yokohama "many times" and have only been their twice, in recent times.  We have enjoyed our stays at the Yokohama Park Royal, which is well located for those of us who are mobile, since it is within walking distance of Chinatown, the nearby park, and is also attached (underground) to a large indoor shopping mall (with quite a few eating venues).  This latter really worked out, one day, when it was raining cats-dogs and we could simply walk over to one of the mall restaurants for dinner.

I do not see the advantage of staying close to the port/pier (assuming you even know which port) since most folks are going to use a taxi to get to the port (assuming they are also dragging lots of luggage).  It matters little to us if we need to take a taxi 1/4 mile or 2 miles.  Those with severe mobility issues, that really limits walking, will likely need to use taxis to get them close to wherever they choose to go.  Consider that our favored hotel (Park Royal) involves a pretty long walk to simply get from the elevator to the hotel exit.  

I would also caution anyone booking a pre-cruise hotel, to make sure their reservation is able to be cancelled without penalty.  Docking locations/ports have been known to change, sometimes within the few weeks prior to a voyage.  In fact, we just noted yesterday, that Oceania changed a March 2025 voyages embarkation port from Tokyo to Yokohama.  And knowing Oceania, they are liable to change it again and again.  In most cases, the change of embarkation ports is more a decision forced by the ports rather than something cruise lines do on their own.  

Hank

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Can't say we have been to Yokohama "many times" and have only been their twice, in recent times.  We have enjoyed our stays at the Yokohama Park Royal, which is well located for those of us who are mobile, since it is within walking distance of Chinatown, the nearby park, and is also attached (underground) to a large indoor shopping mall (with quite a few eating venues).  This latter really worked out, one day, when it was raining cats-dogs and we could simply walk over to one of the mall restaurants for dinner.

I do not see the advantage of staying close to the port/pier (assuming you even know which port) since most folks are going to use a taxi to get to the port (assuming they are also dragging lots of luggage).  It matters little to us if we need to take a taxi 1/4 mile or 2 miles.  Those with severe mobility issues, that really limits walking, will likely need to use taxis to get them close to wherever they choose to go.  Consider that our favored hotel (Park Royal) involves a pretty long walk to simply get from the elevator to the hotel exit.  

I would also caution anyone booking a pre-cruise hotel, to make sure their reservation is able to be cancelled without penalty.  Docking locations/ports have been known to change, sometimes within the few weeks prior to a voyage.  In fact, we just noted yesterday, that Oceania changed a March 2025 voyages embarkation port from Tokyo to Yokohama.  And knowing Oceania, they are liable to change it again and again.  In most cases, the change of embarkation ports is more a decision forced by the ports rather than something cruise lines do on their own.  

Hank

Hank,
You made an excellent constructive feedback 👍. If you are healthy and mobile, you can stay anywhere you like. 
You are right, no reason to stay near a cruise terminal, otherwise too far to walk but too short of a distance for a taxi. All taxis have an initial fare, regardless of distance. Most taxi drivers prefer long distance fares.
Anyone prefer public amenities are nearby, then stay near a major train station.

If Oceania changed a March 2025 voyages embarkation port from Tokyo to Yokohama, more like will dock at Shinko Pier.