Is It Safe To Take An Excursion To Todos Santos

With the violence in Mexico, is it safe to take the excursion to Todos Santos while in Cabo San Lucas?  The ship offers this excursion.  We have traveled throughout Mexico in the past with no problem, but with the cartel promoting violence, we are now concerned.  Thoughts please?

• Like 1

Princess will monitor the situation closely.  Your excursion could be cancelled if Princess deems it unsafe to take passengers.  They always err on the side of caution, so no need to worry you’ll be in harms way.  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

With the violence in Mexico, is it safe to take the excursion to Todos Santos while in Cabo San Lucas?  The ship offers this excursion.  We have traveled throughout Mexico in the past with no problem, but with the cartel promoting violence, we are now concerned.  Thoughts please?

Cabo San Lucas is one of the most Americanized ports in Mexico - tons of retired expats there and other areas of the Baja Peninsula. It is exceptionally safe and welcoming. We have been there many times as well as other Mexican Riviera ports and have never felt the least bit unsafe. The areas that cater to tourists are very secure. 

The excursion to Todos Santos is excellent. It’s a lovely little town and you will be with a well organized tour traveling through very safe areas. You really don’t need to be at all concerned. Much of what you read in the news is not at all reflective of anything we have experienced on any of our many, many trips to the Mexican Riviera ports where we have been traveling for the past 30 years. We even have many friends who live in these cities very safely and happily!

• Like 5

I agree that Princess will err on the side of caution if it becomes dangerous to go, but I do think that Cabo is a relatively safe place. We've been to Todos Santos on our own, in a rental car. Never felt unsafe and I would go without any concern if on a cruise. 

Posted (edited)

I took the Todos Santos excursion as a solo traveler last month with no problems. I did see well-armed soldiers at the port entrance - that may make you feel either more or less safe, for me it was slightly unnerving. But once we arrived in town (it’s a pretty long bus ride), we had periods of free time and I wandered quite a bit away with no qualms at all. You’ll be fine. 

Edited by Ellipooh

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Baja California is pretty safe. I'd be more concerned about mainland Mexico. 

I used to think that but it's hard to believe any longer. The peninsula is controlled by gangs. Three surfers were recently murdered just outside of Ensenada to steal the tires from their truck. When the bodies were found, another, older murder victim was discovered dumped in the same well.

Nearby Tijuana has become one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

I was a fan of Mexico travel for most of my life, but I won't go there anymore.

Surfers' deaths in Mexico 'eerily' similar to San Diego couple's murders: 'Anyone can be killed for anything' | Fox News

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Teechur said:

I used to think that but it's hard to believe any longer. The peninsula is controlled by gangs. Three surfers were recently murdered just outside of Ensenada to steal the tires from their truck. When the bodies were found, another, older murder victim was discovered dumped in the same well.

Surfers' deaths in Mexico 'eerily' similar to San Diego couple's murders: 'Anyone can be killed for anything' | Fox News

This was the question:  "With the violence in Mexico, is it safe to take the excursion to Todos Santos while in Cabo San Lucas?"

Quite a different situation, they were killed because they most likely refused to give up their truck/tires. 

The OP asked about a cruise ship excursion.  

Edited by startedwithamouse

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Teechur said:

You are so right!  My cousin and her husband (A Mexican doctor) moved to Cancun in the early 80’s.  She said that crime and corruption in the Mayan Riviera area is now rampant.  The gangs and law enforcement work together and everything is covered up.  She is planning to leave and relocate in Merida, which is safer.  She told us that the Baja Peninsula is one of the worst.  If you stay at a resort, don’t leave it and stay in your room when it gets dark.  Do not walk around at night!  Mexico is not safe for tourists in the wrong area.  We used to enjoy Mexico, but we won’t go now.  A Princess excursion is the best bet because they will ensure your safety or they won’t offer the excursion.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

You are so right!  My cousin and her husband (A Mexican doctor) moved to Cancun in the early 80’s.  She said that crime and corruption in the Mayan Riviera area is now rampant.  The gangs and law enforcement work together and everything is covered up.  She is planning to leave and relocate in Merida, which is safer.  She told us that the Baja Peninsula is one of the worst.  If you stay at a resort, don’t leave it and stay in your room when it gets dark.  Do not walk around at night!  Mexico is not safe for tourists in the wrong area.  We used to enjoy Mexico, but we won’t go now.  A Princess excursion is the best bet because they will ensure your safety or they won’t offer the excursion.

The gangs try to avoid the scrutiny of U.S. law enforcement, which is in your favor on a ship tour, but doesn't protect you from the actions of random thugs.

There are an estimated 100,000 people who have disappeared in Mexico.

I recall reading about a ship tour that was robbed at gunpoint. Someone discreetly took pictures of the thieves, who were later identified by local police. Being on a ship tour is not a guarantee of safety.

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

This was the question:  "With the violence in Mexico, is it safe to take the excursion to Todos Santos while in Cabo San Lucas?"

Quite a different situation, they were killed because they most likely refused to give up their truck/tires. 

The OP asked about a cruise ship excursion.  

Here you go:

Cruise line: 22 passengers robbed in Mexican seaside resort | CNN

Is It Safe to Travel to Mexico? What Cruisers Need to Know (cruisecritic.com)

When I looked for the cruise ship robbery I recalled on Baja, I ran across this story instead. 

10 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

That was in 2012

I assumed by the title that you are soliciting opinions since no one can absolutely guarantee your safety.

I've visited more than 100 countries worldwide and several of them are sketchier than Mexico. A number of U.S. cities are also more dangerous.

Enjoy your cruise and shore excursions! 🤙

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, and I believe that it’s much worse 12 years later.

And you basis this on what information? Please indicate where you got this knowledge. I am not trying to be confrontational but I live in Arizona on the boarder and have for my whole long life and spent much time in Mexico.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, it is just a good idea to be careful anywhere you travel. We cruised the Med last year and many people were almost hysterical in their warnings about Barcelona and Marseilles. It was way overboard. Yes, there are pickpockets - but common sense prevention and circumstantial awareness are really all that’s required for a smart traveler. I absolutely loved both places and felt absolutely safe and confident in my ability to be alert without being paranoid. 

The ports in Mexico are fabulous if you don’t allow irrational fear to take over and you employ the same common sense you use anywhere. There are many places I would avoid in Los Angeles where I feel less safe!

The Mexican people are generally warm and welcoming. There are so many fun things to do and see. I particularly love Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Todos Santos is a great excursion and an absolutely charming, authentic town. 

Go and enjoy!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AZaTaz said:

And you basis this on what information? Please indicate where you got this knowledge. I am not trying to be confrontational but I live in Arizona on the boarder and have for my whole long life and spent much time in Mexico.

Same. We live in Southern California and visit regularly from Baja to the ports on the coast of Mexico on an almost annual basis, not to mention having friends who actually live in La Paz, San Felipe, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta. Some of these statements seem a little over the top. No wonder people get scared. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Same. We live in Southern California and visit regularly from Baja to the ports on the coast of Mexico on an almost annual basis, not to mention having friends who actually live in La Paz, San Felipe, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta. Some of these statements seem a little over the top. No wonder people get scared. 

I visited Mexico dozens of times during my life. I've been to all of the major resorts, Mexico City, and many smaller towns. I even drove from Southern California to Cabo San Lucas/La Paz and back in the 1990s just for the experience. (It was mostly boring.)

Twice I was robbed at gunpoint by crooked cops. Both times were in Baja, once in the 1970s and once in the 1980s. The first time, the cops were drunk. It was just part of what you had to accept there.

I quit going to Mexico about 15 years ago because there are better places to vacation, (and I live in Maui). Even so, I may still return on a cruise ship.

Not trying to scare anyone, just recommending situational awareness. 👌

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Teechur said:

I visited Mexico dozens of times during my life. I've been to all of the major resorts, Mexico City, and many smaller towns. I even drove from Southern California to Cabo San Lucas/La Paz and back in the 1990s just for the experience. (It was mostly boring.)

Twice I was robbed at gunpoint by crooked cops. Both times were in Baja, once in the 1970s and once in the 1980s. The first time, the cops were drunk. It was just part of what you had to accept there.

I quit going to Mexico about 15 years ago because there are better places to vacation, (and I live in Maui). Even so, I may still return on a cruise ship.

Not trying to scare anyone, just recommending situational awareness. 👌

Sorry that happened to you. We have driven as far as Ensenada, also Tijuana and Rosarito Beach over the years. Our friends regularly drive between their homes in Arizona and San Felipe. Our friends in Cabo, La Paz, and PV sail back and forth. Fortunately neither we nor they have ever experienced anything similar to what happened to you. 

Sadly there is potential for bad people anywhere you go - as you said, situational awareness is key. One has to accept a certain level of risk in any type of foreign travel. Obviously visiting ports by cruise ship carries much less risk then driving through long stretches of land. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Media scare tactics.  Yes, crime happens in Mexico, but it also happens in the states and in Canada.  (I'm Canadian, BTW.)  If you take a Princess excursion to Todos Santos, you will be safe.  Living in California, I have done at least a dozen Mexico cruises, and I have met many people who went on the Todos Santos excursion.  Since they were alive when I met them, I assume all went well. 🙂  People who run into trouble with criminals are usually in situations that were inherently dangerous in the first place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Sorry that happened to you. We have driven as far as Ensenada, also Tijuana and Rosarito Beach over the years. Our friends regularly drive between their homes in Arizona and San Felipe. Our friends in Cabo, La Paz, and PV sail back and forth. Fortunately neither we nor they have ever experienced anything similar to what happened to you. 

Sadly there is potential for bad people anywhere you go - as you said, situational awareness is key. One has to accept a certain level of risk in any type of foreign travel. Obviously visiting ports by cruise ship carries much less risk then driving through long stretches of land. 

Most of my experiences there were great! When we were robbed, we were out honky-tonkin' in some edgier parts of Tijuana and Ensenada. I was back a month after getting shaken down in Ensenada and ran into one of the cops, off-duty. He apologized and said it was the only way they could survive on their low pay. We actually had a beer together and parted with a handshake. 

Later on, I rode three times in the Rosarita to Ensenada bike rides. Great fun but 50 hard miles!

I always expected to retire around Cabo, but good fortune smiled upon me, and I was able to afford Maui instead.

Good times, and thanks for reminding me of what fun I had as a younger man. 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

Most of my experiences there were great! When we were robbed, we were out honky-tonkin' in some edgier parts of Tijuana and Ensenada. I was back a month after getting shaken down in Ensenada and ran into one of the cops, off-duty. He apologized and said it was the only way they could survive on their low pay. We actually had a beer together and parted with a handshake. 

Later on, I rode three times in the Rosarita to Ensenada bike rides. Great fun but 50 hard miles!

I always expected to retire around Cabo, but good fortune smiled upon me, and I was able to afford Maui instead.

Good times, and thanks for reminding me of what fun I had as a younger man. 😉

Wow. How cool and exciting! Oh to be young again. I married into a family of sailors who regularly did the Newport to Ensenada races in the 80s and a couple of us wives would drive the van down to pick up our husbands and a couple of crew and then drive home while just my brother-in-law and his wife would sail the boat home together. We had some adventures for sure - but never anything scary. In fact, only ever kindness to a couple of wild young brides on the loose!

38 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

In Cabo? 

Afraid so.  Police, soldiers idk.  Big guns, I’d call them M-16s but that’s a guess. 
There were just two of them, hanging out a step back from the main thoroughfare in a tunnel/arcade. Very much like what I encountered at Windsor Castle shortly after 9/11.