If You Have Sail on Ruby Princess, Please Help Us Out With Your Experiences

Posted (edited)

We live in San Francisco, but we have not sail out of SF with Princess before. We have been on Princess Royal class ship like the Discovery, Majestic, and Royal.  We are looking at cruising out of SF for the first time on Ruby Princess during Christmas and New Year to Hawaii.

If you have cruise  out of SF to Hawaii with Ruby Princess, please share your experiences particular we are interested in the daily activities and entertainment.  We have good experiences with Princess food so we won't ask that.    

--How was the daily activities?  Were there any dance classes?  My travel companion loves to take dance classes like Zumba, line dance, etc...etc...

--How was the entertainment?  

--Overall, would you recommend doing the Hawaii cruise on the Ruby Princess or another princess ship or another cruise line?

Thank you for your help in advance.  

Edited by danny8826

We haven't been on the Ruby for a number of years, but it is the same class as the Emerald, Grand, Crown and several others. The daily activities and entertainment on all the ships are basically the same.

One advantage to this class over the newer ones on the Hawaii routes is that they can get into the Kauai port at Nawiliwili. The Royal class ships can't go there.

• Thanks 1

I was on the Ruby a few months ago. I The ship has a full 360 degree promenade with chairs and small tables. The promenade get lots of use from those walking and those sitting and enjoying. On the Hawaii itinerary The 1st two to three days after leaving S.F. can be cool with choppy seas. After that it gets tropical.

Besides all the standard activities there will be an Hawaiian program. This includes ukulele & hula instruction each sea day and a show on the last day of the cruise. There are also Hawaiian craft sessions. These have a small fee for supplies mainly. The Hawaiian ambassadors that run the program also provide some entertainment sets. The ukulele lessons are for beginners. The ship has maybe 60 ukuleles which are quickly taken. Show up early for the first session. Better, bring your own.

Royal Class ships tend to have most of their evening music sets in the Piazza. The Ruby has the Wheelhouse Bar, Crooner's, Explorer's Lounge, Club Fusion as well as the Piazza. You will find evening live music, game shows, dance sessions, party band music in all these venues. On deck 16 aft you will find the Adagio Lounge, a quiet location for a drink, reading, whatever. On Deck 18 aft is Skywalker's. A lounge with great views and a late night nightclub.

• Like 2

The Ruby (Grand/GEM class ships) are small enough to visit all the islands (Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, and maybe Kahului/otherwise Kona).  Rent a car early for each island.  Very easy to navigate but the traffic can be horrendous.  Book your excursions early, you can always cancel.

There will be lots to do on the sea days.  Entertainment will repeat since they can't rotate guest entertainers off/on in the middle of the Pacific. (lol).

8 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

We haven't been on the Ruby for a number of years, but it is the same class as the Emerald, Grand, Crown and several others. The daily activities and entertainment on all the ships are basically the same.

One advantage to this class over the newer ones on the Hawaii routes is that they can get into the Kauai port at Nawiliwili. The Royal class ships can't go there.

Thank you.  That's good to know.  

4 hours ago, skynight said:

I was on the Ruby a few months ago. I The ship has a full 360 degree promenade with chairs and small tables. The promenade get lots of use from those walking and those sitting and enjoying. On the Hawaii itinerary The 1st two to three days after leaving S.F. can be cool with choppy seas. After that it gets tropical.

Besides all the standard activities there will be an Hawaiian program. This includes ukulele & hula instruction each sea day and a show on the last day of the cruise. There are also Hawaiian craft sessions. These have a small fee for supplies mainly. The Hawaiian ambassadors that run the program also provide some entertainment sets. The ukulele lessons are for beginners. The ship has maybe 60 ukuleles which are quickly taken. Show up early for the first session. Better, bring your own.

Royal Class ships tend to have most of their evening music sets in the Piazza. The Ruby has the Wheelhouse Bar, Crooner's, Explorer's Lounge, Club Fusion as well as the Piazza. You will find evening live music, game shows, dance sessions, party band music in all these venues. On deck 16 aft you will find the Adagio Lounge, a quiet location for a drink, reading, whatever. On Deck 18 aft is Skywalker's. A lounge with great views and a late night nightclub.

This is great that they have some culture events of where we are visiting. I didn't know that Princess does that but then I haven't cruise to Hawaii. I have flown to Hawaii many times.  Thank you for the info.

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Ruby (Grand/GEM class ships) are small enough to visit all the islands (Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, and maybe Kahului/otherwise Kona).  Rent a car early for each island.  Very easy to navigate but the traffic can be horrendous.  Book your excursions early, you can always cancel.

There will be lots to do on the sea days.  Entertainment will repeat since they can't rotate guest entertainers off/on in the middle of the Pacific. (lol).

Thank you for the tips.  We haven't book yet and will have to decide very soon.

1 hour ago, warthog2608 said:

Just what skynight said!  We've sailed out of SF on the: Grand, Royal, & Ruby.  The Ruby is our favorite ship.

That's good to know.  Thank you.

Ruby is an older ship obviously so doesn't have the glamorous new details like the Royal class ships but we like the old promenade decks and smaller ships.  The Grand class ships have all the old beautiful wood detailing and great views as well.  We have sailed 4 times to Hawaii on older ships, including Ruby and would do it again in a heartbeat.  In fact we are going to on the Ruby this fall.

It's been awhile, but I was on the Ruby shortly after she debuted.  The best thing for me is the Grand ships have Skywalkers and thus great views.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

Ruby is an older ship obviously so doesn't have the glamorous new details like the Royal class ships but we like the old promenade decks and smaller ships.  The Grand class ships have all the old beautiful wood detailing and great views as well.  We have sailed 4 times to Hawaii on older ships, including Ruby and would do it again in a heartbeat.  In fact we are going to on the Ruby this fall.

Thank you.  I actually just put down a depsot.

4 hours ago, Kay S said:

It's been awhile, but I was on the Ruby shortly after she debuted.  The best thing for me is the Grand ships have Skywalkers and thus great views.

Thank you.  

• Like 1