Which Train to use Hyde Park to Southampton Cruise Port

Hi all.  Asking for some friends --- which train is best to use to go from Hyde Park to the Southampton Cruise Port.  I'm not familiar with either area so I'm don't know if that is too broad a question (for instance, are there several train stops in Hyde Park therefore need to know which hotel they are staying at)  

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to provide 

34 minutes ago, McFins said:

Asking for some friends --- which train is best to use to go from Hyde Park to the Southampton Cruise Port.  I'm not familiar with either area so I'm don't know if that is too broad a question (for instance, are there several train stops in Hyde Park therefore need to know which hotel they are staying at)

Yes, one would need to know much more than just "Hyde Park", which is a very big park (especially if, as many people do, you include the area that's technically known as Kensington Gardens).

However, the short answer for the main bit is that trains go from London Waterloo to Southampton Central. The unknown part is how they would best get from their hotel in "Hyde Park" to Waterloo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You really need an address or a hotel name to help with this. If you or they are Google Maps competent you can enter the address or hotel name as origin and London Waterloo as destination. Select public transportation as your first option. @Globaliser will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's a drive through the congestion zone in a cab or Uber and can be far more expensive and take far longer than you'd think depending on the time of day.

The easy part is the direct train from Waterloo to Southampton.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Public transport from Hyde Park area to Waterloo (where trains to Southampton leave from) will require a trip on the London Underground metro system. The journey will likely require a change of lines as Waterloo isn't directly served from the Hyde Park area, it is much better served by lines which go north to south, rather than east west.

The per person fare is £2.70-2.80 depending on time of day.

With luggage for a cruise this becomes a pain as there are steps and ticket barriers to negotiate and there can be long walks to and from platforms and at interchanges as lines are under and over each other.

It is therefore far more convenient to simply jump in a London black cab at the hotel door and go to Waterloo. They will take the quickest route based on their knowledge of traffic on that day.

Its only 2-3 miles, should take 20-30 minutes and will cost about  £15-20.  You'll also see quite a few sights on the way, good cabbies will give you some touristy commentary if you ask!

Edited by Thejuggler
  • Thanks 1