Bringing alcohol onboard

Any recent experience bringing liquor on at embarkation?  Not talking about “sneaking” or rum runners for on-board consumption, but rather whether they will take and store liquor presented for inspection like in ports of call.  We’ll be in Athens for a few days pre-cruise and just curious if it’s an option or if it will get tossed.

42 minutes ago, Cauzneffct said:

Any recent experience bringing liquor on at embarkation?  Not talking about “sneaking” or rum runners for on-board consumption, but rather whether they will take and store liquor presented for inspection like in ports of call.  We’ll be in Athens for a few days pre-cruise and just curious if it’s an option or if it will get tossed.

They will take it and hold it if they bother to check for it in whatever luggage you provide.  

44 minutes ago, Cauzneffct said:

We use our Rum Runners on embarkation day only, but not full bottles. The only time we bring full bottles back is when we're at a distant port and then just carry it to our room. Supposedly you're to check it.

I've never had the experience of being denied on embarkation day but I suppose they would hold it till you disembark. 

Seems like it's a YMMV thing when sailing in Europe.  We used to do the rum runners many years ago before drink packages came out.  Ever since they did, we just buy the package , but of course there will be those frugal cruisers that will still use them today.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 7:41 PM, suzyed said:

Query: If you use the skins/diapers for your precious bottles, does security have you remove them from the packaging, or will they just count the bottles based on the X-ray and hand you the corkage- paid stickers? My last boarding on Carnival required that I completely remove my sole bottle from the packaging. I am bringing six this time, and that sounds like an ordeal.

Edited by rbelshaw
spelling

2 hours ago, rbelshaw said:

Query: If you use the skins/diapers for your precious bottles, does security have you remove them from the packaging, or will they just count the bottles based on the X-ray and hand you the corkage- paid stickers? My last boarding on Carnival required that I completely remove my sole bottle from the packaging. I am bringing six this time, and that sounds like an ordeal.

On Princess if they have the table set up at check-in, they usually ask to see at least the top of the bottle of wine or champagne to make sure it's not booze.