Proof of Financial Means @Airport?

On the American Airlines website for our upcoming flight to Barcelona, it stated that passengers coming into Spain must present “proof of having financial means for the duration of the stay in Spain”. “Travelers may provide proof of financial means with cash, checks or credit cards accompanied with updated bank statements”.

Has anyone flying into Spain been asked to provide proof of financial means or hotel or cruise reservations to airport personnel?

TIA

Hello:

Demonstrating that you have sufficient financial means to enter a country is something that everyone asks for.

Here I give you the official link (source: Ministry of the Interior)

https://www.interior.gob.es/opencms/eu/servicios-al-ciudadano/tramites-y-gestiones/extranjeria/regimen-general/entrada-requisitos-y-condiciones/

and the same thing appears on the website of the national police that carries out border control
https://www.policia.es/_es/extranjeria_extranjeros.php#

However, they point out that it is not necessary if
"with a valid passport and return authorization issued as required."

I still don't know what "return authorization" is. I have consulted several official pages and it is an expression that does not appear in other places.

In any case, they will ask you to prove that you have 113 euros/day for each person who crosses the border (and with a minimum of 1020 euros).

You can simply prove it with your credit card. You don't need to carry it in cash. Now, if you want to make sure, you must bring a document that shows that said card has said credit (officially it is very easy to verify the credit that a card has by the authorities but... they tell you to prove it yourself).

Ah, anything on paper. They don't allow you to show them your phone screen with a document. It is something that bothers me a lot about the Spanish administrations. For some things, electronic management works wonderfully (Spain was one of the first countries to implement electronic administration and an identity document with a digital signature. I can do the strangest administration procedures without leaving my house and with verification of official identity), and for others they still ask you for the paper like 50 years ago.

• Thanks 1

We’re going on a cruise out of Barcelona & spending 2 days pre-cruise & 1 day post cruise in Barcelona hotels. 

Of course we have cruise documents, hotel reservations, credit cards & a bank statement if necessary.

Are airport officials really looking at bank statements? Is this an easy process once you land in Barcelona?

5 minutes ago, Racer70 said:
5 minutes ago, Racer70 said:

Are airport officials really looking at bank statements? Is this an easy process once you land in Barcelona?

No, unless they decide to pick on you for some reason. Don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

As you have a booked cruise and have hotel reservations it won't even be raised as an issue.

It's for passengers arriving into the country who have no apparent reason for being there, no evidence of holiday booking etc.  if they believe a passenger is there for other reasons they will investigate financial matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Racer70 said:

We’re going on a cruise out of Barcelona & spending 2 days pre-cruise & 1 day post cruise in Barcelona hotels. 

Of course we have cruise documents, hotel reservations, credit cards & a bank statement if necessary.

2 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

As you have a booked cruise and have hotel reservations it won't even be raised as an issue.

It's for passengers arriving into the country who have no apparent reason for being there, no evidence of holiday booking etc.  if they believe a passenger is there for other reasons they will investigate financial matters.

I agree.

Do people know which are requirements about immigration in their own country?

I had to look for. I bet 100% of countries officially ask for it (at least in papers) despite in fact, almost anyone request it.

Glancing on news.... from time to time it appears something about people refused because no funds but they are people that definitely aren't going on tourism

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, alserrod said:

it appears something about people refused because no funds but they are people that definitely aren't going on tourism

I think Spain has similar requirements to here in the UK. They are designed to provide a legal basis for denying entry to people who are claiming to be tourists but the border control staff have suspicions they are intending to work illegally. As someone now aged in their mid 70s, I imagine no-one is ever going to think I'm arriving in a country intending to work. 

6 hours ago, Harters said:

I think Spain has similar requirements to here in the UK. They are designed to provide a legal basis for denying entry to people who are claiming to be tourists but the border control staff have suspicions they are intending to work illegally. As someone now aged in their mid 70s, I imagine no-one is ever going to think I'm arriving in a country intending to work. 

I'm sure it is.... and as I said, nobody knows their national policy for immigration. This is, it applies to almost all of us but we do not know it could be requested.

Nevertheless... a lot of people have crossed that border by plane and I haven't ever read about being required

Sometimes the Internet is not your friend and can be somewhat misleading.  We have been traveling, internationally, since the 60s and have never been asked to provide any proof of financial means, by any country (and we have been to more than 120 countries).  Some countries such as Brazil, may ask for proof you have some kind of ongoing transportation (like a return airline ticket) as part of their Visa process.  Many countries do require some type of proof of financial means for folks wanting to become resident (this will also involve a Visa).  

When it comes to Spain, the EU, and the Schengen countries (much of Western Europe) the big traveler issue is the relatively recent restriction that limits folks to visiting for no more than 90 days in any 6 month period.  For your trip to Spain, as long as you are not planning on staying over 90 days, just make sure you have a valid Passport (valid for at least 3 months after your planned departure).

Hank

• Thanks 1

I saw this referenced on a You Tube channel (made by a Spanish national who posts helpful stuff for travellers to Spain and Portugal), who noted that the proof of funds is something that can be asked but generally isn't.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:07 PM, Racer70 said:

We're in a similar situation to this, however if you're on a cruise that is calling in at other Spanish ports of call, technically you may be required to demonstrate that you have funds for all your time in Spain, not just Barcelona.

• Thanks 1

I can see young people being asked but older folks, some not speaking a lick of Spanish and with cruise tickets in hand? They are not going to think you’ll be going there to find a job. From personal experience, I have never been asked for proof of funds and have travelled extensively throughout Spain and Europe. This is the first I hear of this. I’m flying to Barcelona this week and will not be carrying paper bank statements with me. Unless this is a new requirement, it sounds like total BS.