First impressions with Cunard.

Ditchcrawler

Posted (edited)

Hello Everybody.

My Wife and I have finished our honeymoon and are now adjusting to marriage. We embarked on Victoria from Civitavecchia on May 13th and disembarked Istanbul on the 20th of May. We had some issues with Cunard pre boarding, but they were all rectified before boarding.

After making our way to our stateroom we were greeted with a bottle of champagne, fresh cut flowers and a box of truffles for the above issue. I was impressed with the space, Mrs Dichcrawler slightly less so. She quickly lighted up when informed that room service was included. For want of anything else better to do we made some drinks with the drinks we had brought aboard (the champagne wasn't chilled). As of 13/05/24 Cunard are not policing one's personal bar.

Next stop was the Commodore Club. Oh my. Oh My. This is a very special boozer. Not that I actually spent any time in it, but it looks wonderful! You see, I'm a pipe smoker so had a very special place to visit, Churchill's Cigar Lounge. And there to my shame I vegetated for about four hours a day while at sea, two if there was a port day. I regret nothing. The folks in Churchills were incredibly pleasant company. I understand it is against company policy for cigarettes to be smoked in the smoking room, however on one windy night the members present voted unanimously that my wife be allowed to smoke cigarettes, and she did. (sorry Cunard).

We met many interesting people we would not have expected to on a Cunard Cruise. I had underestimated how interesting the people could be, but birds of a feather and all that...

The food. If we don't go with Cunard again, it will be the food. We Tried Rivera, Bamboo, and Coriander, and the Britannia MDR and it was poor to good in my personal opinion. The MDR promising much, but just not hitting the mark. The Lido buffet is frankly poor.  The service in every venue was impeccable however. The burger from the lido grill area was a terribly cheap thing, cooked to the best way it could be by one poor guy doing everything.

I think it could be better.

But Service is what they focus on I think.

Edited by Ditchcrawler
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good review and I'm pleased that after all your 'difficulties' everything worked out just fine.

Food is a very subjective matter, after all what one person likes (mushrooms) another one (daughter) hates with a passion!!!  I would reluctantly agree that the MDR can be hit or miss.  I have found that lately lots of red meat/chicken dishes have some sort of pork added and as I don't eat pork.....Yes, before someone says something, I know that I can request no pork, but sometimes it is not possible.  I'm also one of a rare breed who actually likes the buffet!! We tend to go there for breakfast because you can guarantee hot toast and lots of smoked salmon 🤣

• Like 1

I always use the buffet for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is just easy and quick to be able to grab what you want, when you want and then get on with your day. I also never want a full meal at lunchtime, so being able to grab a salad or something light is much easier there than being tempted into a three course affair in the main dining room, plus it enables my son to have what he really fancies and feels comfortable with, when in the evening he'll be having to challenge himself a bit.

Looking at the menus that people have very kindly published on here, it looks as though Cunard has remained a cut above the likes of P&O and RCI, which I've most recently sailed on. That being said, I tend to know what to look for in order to reduce the risk of something being disappointing. Sometimes it may be a preparation that doesn't suit itself to the banqueting style of service, others it may be a particular ingredient that 'holds' well, but lacks taste. Plus you tend to get in synch to spot which desserts are what my wife and I refer to as 'miscellaneous cruise ship deserts' (i.e. those which may look attractive and different, but all taste the same. Generally some form of cake/torte with way too much gelatine added). Always, always try and avoid those. 

• Like 2

King Amo I think you have perfectly explained our views on the food as well.

Also as an American I tend to enjoy the numerous British overtones to the menus.

Having sailed Royal Caribbean and Celebrity in the past year as well as QV, would certainly say Cunard food was superior.

Returning to QV in September and hoping standards have remained the same.

• Like 2

I'm so pleased that you came back to tell us how the cruise went, I had been wondering whether or not you'd like it, but highly suspected you would.  I'm not a smoker but the smell of cigars always takes me back to visits to relatives and friends of my parents who were cigar smokers, happy days. I'll pop my head into Churchills for a whiff of nostalgia next time I'm on her.  

• Like 1