QM2 Crossing review

Me from ME

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

Me from ME was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Disembarked QM2 last week following a WB TA. I have sailed this ship 10+ times and this is the first since Covid. The selections in the MDR were never sufficiently interesting to induce me to dress for dinner. (I don't eat beef but the vegetarian options didn't seem all that compelling.)

We ate in the King's Court and although the offerings looked good they were disappointing. The first few days at sea there was literally no change from night to night. A few days in some additional items were added. The desserts were substandard e.g. custard sauce tasted burnt.

I did appreciate the selection of cheese and crackers as well as the soft serve ice cream machine  - when it was functioning properly and not delivering a soupy mixture.

Golden Lion and Carinthia were top quality.

Having sailed on her since her first year I have noticed the cost cutting changes. There was one ice sculpture that I saw and unless I missed it there was no chocolate extravaganza in King's Court. And yes, I am sad to say that the King's Court resembles a highway rest stop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Hello!

I have sailed with Cunard countless times since 1993.  It is very troubling to see all the cutbacks and declining standards especially with respect to the food quality and menu choices.  Truly, Cunard Line is no longer a "luxury" brand.  Therre is also insufficient staff which impacts on service.  It is very uneven. The loyalty program is mediocre and does not keep one from straying to other lines.  In my case to Oceania.  What keeps me still somewhat tied to Cunard is the Queen Mary 2, the great number of musicians providing live music throughout the ship, the speakers and the superior entertainment.  Cunard really shines there.  All the best to everyone!

Deck Chair

europe trip QM2 2013 016.jpg

europe trip QM2 2013 2411.jpg

europe trip QM2 2013 2456.jpg

• Like 5

Without a doubt QM2 is a beautiful and unique ship and the only ocean liner offering regular service between NY and So'ton. And that will probably keep me sailing on her. However, variety and quality of food is something that most passengers have come to expect. I worry about the people who sail on her for the first time and are disappointed to never return. Are there sufficient numbers of us who revere the transatlantic crossing experience to keep her afloat?

• Like 1

YouTube must know I'm going on the QM2 soon, because it just popped up a video from (I think) yesterday by two Englishmen named Ben and David reviewing their first day on a Wbound.  I skipped a lot of it (it's an hour long! and just day 1!) but they seem to have had trouble with:  cabin (cardkeys not working, hot, noisy neighbors through connecting door), food (bland to nasty except for yummy desserts), crew (often curt and sometimes with erroneous information), other passengers (some quite rude).  

I've never seen any of their videos before so I don't know if in general they're willing to be please or eager to be disappointed.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

YouTube must know I'm going on the QM2 soon, because it just popped up a video from (I think) yesterday by two Englishmen named Ben and David reviewing their first day on a Wbound.  I skipped a lot of it (it's an hour long! and just day 1!) but they seem to have had trouble with:  cabin (cardkeys not working, hot, noisy neighbors through connecting door), food (bland to nasty except for yummy desserts), crew (often curt and sometimes with erroneous information), other passengers (some quite rude).  

I've never seen any of their videos before so I don't know if in general they're willing to be please or eager to be disappointed.

I spotted one of their luggage labels, and they were on M412B sailing on 16th May.

I think they've made several mistakes. Booking for when so many staff have been transferred to QA, picking the connecting cabin, and open dining in Britannia. Don't think I'd have picked the Gnocchi, but I've had that Cod dish and it was tasty when I had it.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

Dear of D&N--You are such a font of information I must ask (but you don't have to answer):  What's a mistake about open dining in Britannia?!  

That's what I booked, mostly because it was the only choice left, but also because I thought my teenager might not be happy to be committed to a time/group if she found she didn't like it.  I suspect, if the meals are longish, she'll want to eat dinner at the buffet or room service.  That means I might be eating alone--and I'm perfectly happy to eat by myself and read.  Or I'd happily join a larger group too but again wouldn't want to commit in case my daughter changed her mind and DID want to come!  

I was quietly pleased with my plans.  So please tell me what could go wrong!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

What's a mistake about open dining in Britannia?

We wouldn't book that because you have no guarantee of the same table or staff every meal.

Britannia Club suits us because we can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner on the same table with same staff whenever we want during opening hours. The extra à la carte choices at dinner being a bonus. We're quite happy to take leisurely meals but wouldn't want to risk being almost ignored as those chaps look to have been on their first night.

If we were not booking club we would opt for a fixed time just to get the same table.

It's probably been compounded on their sailing with staff issues.

Although I believe they plan to post more videos from the rest of their crossing, and hopefully things will have improved for them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

They are fine, definitely a bit 'click baity' but not usually too scandalous.

Edited by Lee Jones Jnr
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I was quietly pleased with my plans.  So please tell me what could go wrong!

I prefer Open Dining, and from what you have said it would work for you. Yes you lose the fixed table and the waiting staff getting to know you, but you gain flexibility and the option to see many different tables. Plus on QM2 Open has the better deck (deck 3), in my view.

I've not watched this video but have I have met B and D, both sober and otherwise, on a previous sailing. What was their issue with Open Dining?

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, D&N said:

I spotted one of their luggage labels, and they were on M412B sailing on 16th May.

I think they've made several mistakes. Booking for when so many staff have been transferred to QA, picking the connecting cabin, and open dining in Britannia. Don't think I'd have picked the Gnocchi, but I've had that Cod dish and it was tasty when I had it.

I watched the whole B&D review. It as painful. They themselves admitted their day got off to a rocky start (moving houses, long trip to SOU via LGW, etc) but they just seemed in a foul mood, and everyone and everything was out of sorts. I shudder to think their Day One negative opinions will have on potential future cruisers/crossers.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

What was their issue with Open Dining?

They have only shown their first night so far, but don't seem to have had very good service and the food they've ordered didn't look too appetising. They haven't complained about open dining.

My personal opinion: They're apparently in middle of moving house, which is an incredibly stressful time for most folk. Considering they're experienced cruisers/travellers they don't seem to have done much research, perhaps down to the house move.

But they've got six days more to post and things might get better.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

Take no notice of those two Dopes , anyone who embarks on a 'Queen Anne  VIP Event' ( in a previous Vlog ) wearing a Baseball Cap back to front and his mate in a pair of Crocs should not be taken seriously , They are just a couple free loaders who float from cruise line to cruise line finding fault .

For constructive and sensible feedback take notice of seasoned Cunaders on this forum   

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

I am watching the Ben & David Day 1 now. They are making a BIG thing of calling Brittania 'fourth class' as if they are in a dorm below decks with the rats.

I wasn't impressed by that either. Admittedly I did watch most of it on subtitles as I've been watching Gael Monfils playing tennis on TV at same time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Take no notice of those two Dopes , anyone who embarks on a 'Queen Anne  VIP Event' ( in a previous Vlog ) wearing a Baseball Cap back to front and his mate in a pair of Crocs should not be taken seriously , They are just a couple free loaders who float from cruise line to cruise line finding fault .

For constructive and sensible feedback take notice of seasoned Cunaders on this forum   

I do watch many of the QM2 vlogs.

I sometimes see quite nice shots of bits of the ship, and even spotted us dancing for about ten seconds in one of them.

We also enjoy criticising some of the interpretations of the dress code that vloggers come up with! 🤣

• Like 1

Thanks, all--I appreciate hearing you each outline your reasoning.

Now here's a silly follow-up:  I see Pushpit and Lee Jones Jnr have been able to edit their posts!  How do you do that?  I always seem to be typing in a hurry and leaving words out, etc., and my own errors mortify me.

8 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Now here's a silly follow-up:  I see Pushpit and Lee Jones Jnr have been able to edit their posts!  How do you do that?  I always seem to be typing in a hurry and leaving words out, etc., and my own errors mortify me.

Three dots in top right. You only get a number of minutes after posting to do it.

Posted (edited)

Ah--I'd tried that when I tried to change my heading to YOU (which was supposed to begin "Dear D of D&N"), but I must have been too late.

I will try to proofread better and sooner!

Edited by Tattycoram
typo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I edit all the time. Click on the three horizontal dots on the upper right of the box and “edit” will appear. 

I’m editing now seeing that you found your way!

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

Try watching Paul and Carole love to travel. They did  a QM2  T A last summer and loved it. Much more positive and gave a much more balanced impression. They sail Cunard quite a bit. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, D&N said:

Don't think I'd have picked the Gnocchi

Very true - Cunard has no clue on how to make gnocchi. I wrote about it in my TA review from last June.  Thankfully so many other items are done well. 
The videos from Ben and David are long and they tend to gush a lot but complain when they see fit. I saw one of thief videos when they also complained about bad food on RCCL and also about loud neighbors. Unfortunately the comments on their YouTube video show people canceling their QM2 trip because of this lone video. There were some Cunard defenders though. I try to avoid the YouTube comment scrum. More fun on CC!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Try watching Paul and Carole love to travel. They did  a QM2  T A last summer and loved it. Much more positive and gave a much more balanced impression. They sail Cunard quite a bit. 

Thanks!  I watched part of one--I was glad to learn about the magic glass elevator!  I have already planned an expedition.  They seemed lovely but perhaps a bit gushy for me.  Still, I'd far rather that than corrosive cynicism!

I must admit that I'm surprised how many QM2 videos are up with couples filming each other eat while talking about the food.  Is that really something many people do on board--or are even allowed to do?!  Of course on the one hand, before my trip, I'm finding it useful to get a sense of what I might expect (note to self:  no gnocchi), but on the other hand, during my trip, I would find it very off-putting!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Take no notice of those two Dopes , anyone who embarks on a 'Queen Anne  VIP Event' ( in a previous Vlog ) wearing a Baseball Cap back to front and his mate in a pair of Crocs should not be taken seriously

You've got the wrong pair. I just watched Ben and David's Queen Anne videos and neither is wearing a baseball cap. (You are referring to a couple called Cruise Monkeys - a much more amateur outfit than Ben and David)

3 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

They are just a couple free loaders

Well, they paid full price for this crossing - $5,400, so I think they are entitled to make observations and their criticism seems pretty valid.

You can actually hear the neighbours from the adjacent cabin talking in the background when they do their cabin tour. 

The ship looks grand but tired in places, and I think for them it would be accentuated having just come of the brand new Queen Anne.

They make a lot of positive comments though, so I think it is a fair and balanced review

I think it is very unfortunate that they encountered such rudeness from some fellow passengers, and such lacklustre service in the Britannia dining room.

Having said that, their continual reference to 'fourth class' is ridiculous. I can't see the difference between the Cunard system and Celebrity for example where there is Suite class, Aqua class, Concierge/Veranda class all which have separate dining facilities. 

Edited by Beagle5
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I'm always sceptical about regular Cunard cruisers giving positive and more balanced impressions, the same can be said for all lines "rose tinted glasses" comes to mind.

Just watched Ben & David's day 1, I thought is was quite well balanced and fair based on what I saw.

• Like 2