QM2 Crossing review

Me from ME

I've no idea what drinks they ordered but we drink wine by the bottle and often carry over a bottle to the following evening. That definitely reduces the wait on a busy night for Sommeliers. 

24 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Are these wait times normal?

Don't think so.

But they were on a crossing departing Southampton on May 16th. There have been other reports about that sailing on here about long waits and issues with food.

They do seem to have had some valid complaints.

I find their comments on travelling Britannia and their general attitude to "dressing up" as they call it irritating. They don't seem to appreciate how odd their outfits look compared to most other passengers. On Gala Night one claims his jacket is too tight and trousers too loose. Why not buy a suit that fits?

• Like 3

Well, indeed--I rather like changing for dinner as a change of leisurely pace (especially on a cruise where I haven't dashed from work to the kitchen), but, if I found it unpleasant, I wouldn't book on a cruise where that was expected 25% of the time.  

From middle school through high school, our son attended schools that required a button-down shirt, tie, belt, jacket, and non-sneakers.  He groused once or twice about "Sunday best," but we told him it was a good life skill for him to learn how to be comfortable in a range of clothes.  I might have to send him a clip of their video to see the slightly sorry instance of two men willing to please but not sadly being able to feel comfortably themselves out of (say, based on an outfit in the video) sportswear and crocs.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I started watching video #2 of Ben and David last night while chopping vegetables for supper, and just finished.  Their tastes in activities probably don't much match mine, but that's fine.  I did find some of their experiences eyebrow-raising:  on a gala night, they had to wait 50 minutes for their drink and starter and the meal (without dessert) took 2 hours.  Yikes.  Are these wait times normal?!  If so, I'll never get my civilized but fast-revving teenager to eat a whole meal with me.

I might not mind waiting longer for my food if I have a drink in hand!  

I have the same issue with my teenager but luckily he’ll be at tennis camp when I’m on an upcoming crossing. I started a practice of walking into the dining room with a fresh cocktail on my last cruise. Might be a little gauche but I’m too impatient to wait. However, on our last DCL cruise, from night 2 forward, our server had a French 75 waiting for me every night at dinner. He figured me out quickly! 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I think it’s probably not clear from my posts so far but I generally quite like watching B&D, though I would never really take any notice of what they have to say the way that I might with someone like Emma Cruises, I think they seem quite nice and generally put out entertaining fluff.

I definitely prefer CruiseTubers to film much more discreetly and add face to camera than guerilla style.

For formal night one didn’t wear formal at all and one seemed not to enjoy doing so but I think that’s a big factor in why people do or do not use Cunard. I actually think that it’s fine to do it but complain, they are there to earn YouTube dollars and illustrating the more traditional nature of a QM crossing is useful to viewers on both sides.

Edited by Lee Jones Jnr
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Worth noting that we (party of 5 or 6) ate on early at 6pm (fixed dining) most nights on the last sailing(s) we were on QM2.     We had a very slow eating children in with us, causing us greater delays than other tables who finished before us, but we typically finished dinner at 7:30-7:45pm.

We also had all 5 courses typically, or at least one person did, elongating the service, ie, starter, soup or salad (or both), then main, then dessert, then cheeses.

This seemed a typical service speed across the upper dining room, but we were usually one of last to leave and it wasn't down to the waiters, it was just the speed of service.

On the rare nights myself and my wife ate alone, we were done for 7pm on more than one occasion when we had less courses.

Edited by starquake
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add as I am a YouTube cruise video addict and I decided to read some CC posts on Cunard to see if B&D's experience was typical or not.  We haven't sailed Cunard before (but do have around 15 cruises under our belt mostly on Celebrity, Oceania, HAL etc) and I have always wanted to try a TA on QM2. 

In terms of the video from B&D, I agree with all the criticisms of click-bait etc but from watching more of their videos than I can count I can say with confidence that they tend strongly towards overly-praising cruises with criticisms being the rarity.  There only really critical reviews have been for MSC and now, QM2.  I will admit that their review has made me reconsider this cruise as food, service, and entertainment (all of which seem to be newly lacking based on reviews) are such a critical part of enjoying any cruise.  I will still likely give it a try however I am looking more deeply at other reviews of TA on QM2 on here and many also are complaining of the drop at least in service and food, if not so much entertainment. Hopefully whatever cuts have been made will be reversed in the near future...

• Like 1

Actually the last couple of TA reviews on here (one is ongoing) were quite positive. 

As to cruise youTubers, Ben & David to me are bad. They're in the same place I put La Lido Loca (not worth following). The good one to me are Tips for Travelers, Emma Cruises and a newer one called Ritzy Travel Guide. TravelTouristVideos is also pretty good. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CruiseDoc79 said:

Just wanted to add as I am a YouTube cruise video addict and I decided to read some CC posts on Cunard to see if B&D's experience was typical or not.  We haven't sailed Cunard before (but do have around 15 cruises under our belt mostly on Celebrity, Oceania, HAL etc) and I have always wanted to try a TA on QM2. 

In terms of the video from B&D, I agree with all the criticisms of click-bait etc but from watching more of their videos than I can count I can say with confidence that they tend strongly towards overly-praising cruises with criticisms being the rarity.  There only really critical reviews have been for MSC and now, QM2.  I will admit that their review has made me reconsider this cruise as food, service, and entertainment (all of which seem to be newly lacking based on reviews) are such a critical part of enjoying any cruise.  I will still likely give it a try however I am looking more deeply at other reviews of TA on QM2 on here and many also are complaining of the drop at least in service and food, if not so much entertainment. Hopefully whatever cuts have been made will be reversed in the near future...

They were unlucky. There were a few comments from others regarding standards on that sailing, possibly as a result of staff being stolen for Queen Anne a few weeks earlier.

However some of their experience was down to their approach. First night they turned up in MDR wearing creased casual shirts. If you look at the blurred images behind them all the other males are wearing jackets. Therefore the staff hid them away beside a waiters station.

On Gala Night one wore a tux that didn't fit and other made no attempt to meet dress code.

In my view they didn't research what they were doing and went with the attitude that it would be too posh for them.

Yes their food looked poor. I wouldn't have chosen some of the stuff they did, and I have had some of their dishes that looked different from what was served to them.

• Like 3

I also think these vloggers spend so much time filming, editing, conversing with followers and paetrons while onboard that they are “not here in the present” and not understanding what a Crossing is about -  getting in a Crossing mindset. Yes, their food looked awful and they ironically were expecting a more formal vibe when they didn’t seem to like being formal. Cunard is not for everyone. 
Also…Another good young YouTuber is Fraser at Sea. He did a good QE review recently. If you can understand his Scottish accent!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

I also think these vloggers spend so much time filming, editing, conversing with followers and paetrons while onboard that they are “not here in the present” and not understanding what a Crossing is about -  getting in a Crossing mindset. Yes, their food looked awful and they ironically were expecting a more formal vibe when they didn’t seem to like being formal. Cunard is not for everyone. 
Also…Another good young YouTuber is Fraser at Sea. He did a good QE review recently. If you can understand his Scottish accent!

That's what I like about the ones I noted (Tips for Travellers, Ritzy Travel Guide, Emma Cruises). They emphasize doing their homework so they know what type of line and ship they are sailing on and their delivery is very informative. Fraser at Sea sounds interesting  - have to check him out. Also TravelTouristVideos go pretty well. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NE John said:

Rate Fraser at Sea very highly, his video on Queen Elizabeth helped us make the jump and book onto her next year. I do feel for him on his current experiences aboard MSC Meraviglia - have you seen it yet?

5 hours ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

Rate Fraser at Sea very highly, his video on Queen Elizabeth helped us make the jump and book onto her next year. I do feel for him on his current experiences aboard MSC Meraviglia - have you seen it yet?

No. But his Alaska one is good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I watched a lengthy German YT video of the same crossing as him? & him? earlier today.

I activated auto English translation.

They seem to have sailed from Hamburg to New York on May 14th in same cabin category as the pair who had problems. There was no indication that they suffered from poor service or poor quality food.

The young gentleman involved did appear to be suitably dressed in all the shots on the video, we are not treated to pictures of his travel companion.

It may be that they have sailed on Cunard before, or simply did their homework before boarding.

Edited by D&N
In case terminology wasn't approved
  • Like 1

I see Ben and David say (as of 4 hours ago on YouTube) that their favorite ship is Disney Magic (hope I have the name right).  It sounds like hell to me, but de gustibus non disputandem est.

One of the things I like about Gary Bembridge is his mature and judicious reporting:  he says what he likes, but also says (accurately) he describes the experience so you can form your own opinion about whether the experience will be right for you.

In 2 weeks we'll be on our first full day on a Cunard ship, and I must say I am really looking forward to my image of it:  sitting in a comfy chair within sight (and ideally sound and smell) of the sea with a book, or my knitting, or a congenial companion, and possible a cup of tea or a gin and tonic.  Bliss!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, D&N said:

him? & him?

Can I suggest we refer to them as Ben & David rather than him? & him?.

Not sure what terminology you edited, but it suggests your problem is with Ben & David rather than their vlogg.

I like to have a balanced view of any cruiseline, none if which are perfect, seeing differing opinions gives me a better overall impression, watching only good ones doesn't give me that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S1971 said:

Can I suggest we refer to them as Ben & David rather than him? & him?.

Not sure what terminology you edited, but it suggests your problem is with Ben & David rather than their vlogg.

I like to have a balanced view of any cruiseline, none if which are perfect, seeing differing opinions gives me a better overall impression, watching only good ones doesn't give me that.

I referred to them as a circus act, which is how I view many of these people.

You can suggest if you want. If I could have remembered their names that would fine.

I keep thinking of Ben & Jerry, but is that ice cream? You see I could have remembered "Ben". Don't know why I couldn't remember "David" as it's my favourite name.

I've not got a problem with Ben & David as people. I don't like their presentational style, including having watched some of their other stuff. Their whole approach is a bit too casual for me. And I'm not that keen on any of the vloggers where huge chunks of the video are them talking rather than showing what they are talking about.

I believe that they may have experienced some service issues, there are other reports that back that up. I think they sensationalise those a bit more than necessary, but that will be a ploy to try and get more folk watching.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, D&N said:

I referred to them as a circus act, which is how I view many of these people.

You can suggest if you want. If I could have remembered their names that would fine.

I keep thinking of Ben & Jerry, but is that ice cream? You see I could have remembered "Ben". Don't know why I couldn't remember "David" as it's my favourite name.

I've not got a problem with Ben & David as people. I don't like their presentational style, including having watched some of their other stuff. Their whole approach is a bit too casual for me. And I'm not that keen on any of the vloggers where huge chunks of the video are them talking rather than showing what they are talking about.

I believe that they may have experienced some service issues, there are other reports that back that up. I think they sensationalise those a bit more than necessary, but that will be a ploy to try and get more folk watching.

No problem, it was just that the Him? & Him? terminology just didn't seem appropriate given their names are on several posts in this thread.

With regards to their presentational style, yes they do have their own style, I guess they are probably trying to attract a younger age group with their vlogs, I guess Cunard being a more traditional line, their more casual outlook probably doesn't suit Cunard.

Edited by S1971
Spelling!!
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

I see Ben and David say (as of 4 hours ago on YouTube) that their favorite ship is Disney Magic (hope I have the name right).  It sounds like hell to me, but de gustibus non disputandem est.

One of the things I like about Gary Bembridge is his mature and judicious reporting:  he says what he likes, but also says (accurately) he describes the experience so you can form your own opinion about whether the experience will be right for you.

In 2 weeks we'll be on our first full day on a Cunard ship, and I must say I am really looking forward to my image of it:  sitting in a comfy chair within sight (and ideally sound and smell) of the sea with a book, or my knitting, or a congenial companion, and possible a cup of tea or a gin and tonic.  Bliss!

I watched that video and decided I wanted to take a Disney cruise now!😁

I love all things Disney and it looks wonderful, remember to each her own😉

I like a variety of vacations, land and cruises.

I am doing a Celebrity cruise in October and and again in Jan and one in March.

Viking Northern Lights next year.

• Like 2

I love the QM2: We just finished the 2024 World Cruise on her in May and are boarding again next month for a crossing. We had a wonderful time overall, but I have to say that while Ben and David's combined problems seem unusual, none of the individual complaints were outside the range I heard on board - particularly later in the world cruise as staff began to be transferred to the Queen Anne. By the end, even some of the managers were bemoaning a decline in service caused by losing too many experienced crew members to the Anne. 

Still, whatever one thinks of Ben and David, what astounds me in this matter is the apparent incompetence of Cunard's marketing department. They know who Ben and David are: They hosted them on the press event for Queen Anne (which, by the way, Ben and David loved). They should have known Ben and David were sailing on the QM2 as the pair had been talking about it on-line for weeks in advance. So why didn't they and the ship's management make some effort to see the pair, at the very least, got a decent table in the dining room and were looked after better? It may sound unfair, but it's what any good restaurant or hotel in America would have done if it knew that influential critics were coming.

The message Cunard should have wanted to send is that every passenger is valued and gets good service and food on every voyage. That is, after all, what we all expect and often get. Instead, the message they sent to Ben and David's viewers is that if they got treated so badly, what hope is there for us?

Cunard is my preferred line by far and the QM2 is my favorite ship, and I know many people on here share those opinions. (About the line, anyway, if not about the ship.) But I strongly hope that, rather than just brush this review aside, Cunard uses it to take a good look at the service it provides and the way the line presents itself. Both could use some polish.

• Like 6

Eh. Disney is not my thing. And it was Tips for Travelers that helped me know. Not by Gary dissing on it but because he laid out what a Disney cruise is, what you will be getting in terms of experience and really left whether you like it up to you. 

This is why I dislike vloggers like Ben and David and la Lido Loca among others. They are not really that informative and they really tend towards being overdramatic. Tips for Travelers, Ritzy Travel Guide, Emma Cruises and TravelTouristVideos among others take a different approach. They give context before reviewing, are informative and even when they give a positive/negative verdict they do put it into the context of their own preferences. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Patria21 said:

I love the QM2: We just finished the 2024 World Cruise on her in May and are boarding again next month for a crossing. We had a wonderful time overall, but I have to say that while Ben and David's combined problems seem unusual, none of the individual complaints were outside the range I heard on board - particularly later in the world cruise as staff began to be transferred to the Queen Anne. By the end, even some of the managers were bemoaning a decline in service caused by losing too many experienced crew members to the Anne. 

Still, whatever one thinks of Ben and David, what astounds me in this matter is the apparent incompetence of Cunard's marketing department. They know who Ben and David are: They hosted them on the press event for Queen Anne (which, by the way, Ben and David loved). They should have known Ben and David were sailing on the QM2 as the pair had been talking about it on-line for weeks in advance. So why didn't they and the ship's management make some effort to see the pair, at the very least, got a decent table in the dining room and were looked after better? It may sound unfair, but it's what any good restaurant or hotel in America would have done if it knew that influential critics were coming.

The message Cunard should have wanted to send is that every passenger is valued and gets good service and food on every voyage. That is, after all, what we all expect and often get. Instead, the message they sent to Ben and David's viewers is that if they got treated so badly, what hope is there for us?

Cunard is my preferred line by far and the QM2 is my favorite ship, and I know many people on here share those opinions. (About the line, anyway, if not about the ship.) But I strongly hope that, rather than just brush this review aside, Cunard uses it to take a good look at the service it provides and the way the line presents itself. Both could use some polish.

Excellent post and spot on!🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Excellent post and spot on!🙂

Is this really a big problem that experienced and good crew members from QM2 got transferred to Queen Anne?  And if so, is this temporary, will they come back?   Maybe we have to wait a few months for service levels to stabilize again?

Or maybe it's already stabilized and it's all exaggerated ?

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Is this really a big problem that experienced and good crew members from QM2 got transferred to Queen Anne?  And if so, is this temporary, will they come back?   Maybe we have to wait a few months for service levels to stabilize again?

Or maybe it's already stabilized and it's all exaggerated ?

I expect it has largely stabilized.