Viking Air deviation question

rizello

Hello:

I have searched, but didn't find a quick answer.  I would like to fly into the area about 7 days earlier before the cruise starts.  Is there a limit on the number of days you can deviate at either end (start or finish)?  I know I have to pay a deviation fee.

I am perfectly fine with arranging my own transfers.  Right now, the promo advertises for free airfare.  

Thanks in advance.

Thank you.  I didn't see the option when booking online to do a deviation, so wasn't sure.  I assume I have to talk to an agent to do a deviation?

4 minutes ago, rizello said:

Thank you.  I didn't see the option when booking online to do a deviation, so wasn't sure.  I assume I have to talk to an agent to do a deviation?

No, you are able to do this yourself on My Viking Journey - MVJ - portal, once you add your cruise to profile, and air has been assigned.  Find options under the "Manage My Air" tab.

8 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

No, you are able to do this yourself on My Viking Journey - MVJ - portal, once you add your cruise to profile, and air has been assigned.  Find options under the "Manage My Air" tab.

Don't you want to make sure that your reservation dates include the deviation first when you are booking the cruise?

I am not aware that you can change dates of flights on MVJ, but I might be wrong... MVJ only gives you flight options for the dates of your reservation - right?

Oh, and just be aware that Free Air may not apply to your deviation dates.  There may be charges for the deviation flights.

• Thanks 1

I would call Viking Air and ask your question there. There is an additional fee for Air Plus, where you have input into the flight selection, up to 300 days in advance if I recall. 

Thanks for all the responses.  I booked the cruise via the phone and then let the rep know about the deviation.  I found out that one can add a deviation or AirPlus as long as it is before the flight is ticketed.

• Like 2

Another great reason to use a TA. Didn't cost me a penny and my TA took care of the entire thing. I just told her our dates and she got the changes made the same day. Something to think about for the future. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rizello said:

Thanks for all the responses.  I booked the cruise via the phone and then let the rep know about the deviation.  I found out that one can add a deviation or AirPlus as long as it is before the flight is ticketed.

Just to add a little more info, your “deviation” can also be to a city different than your embarkation or disembarkation port.  We for example took a transatlantic that began in San Juan. We had “free” air from RDU to SJU and then home from Barcelona.  We paid the deviation fee and arrived in San Juan a day early, stayed an extra week in Barcelona after disembarking, and then flew ourselves to Rome where we spent another week before taking our “free” flight back home to RDU.  It’s my understanding that there was a possibility for an additional cost but in this case we only paid the deviation fee. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Another great reason to use a TA. Didn't cost me a penny and my TA took care of the entire thing. I just told her our dates and she got the changes made the same day. Something to think about for the future. 

Great point.  I'm still trying to find a TA in my area.

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just to add a little more info, your “deviation” can also be to a city different than your embarkation or disembarkation port.  We for example took a transatlantic that began in San Juan. We had “free” air from RDU to SJU and then home from Barcelona.  We paid the deviation fee and arrived in San Juan a day early, stayed an extra week in Barcelona after disembarking, and then flew ourselves to Rome where we spent another week before taking our “free” flight back home to RDU.  It’s my understanding that there was a possibility for an additional cost but in this case we only paid the deviation fee. 

I just discovered this.  We are taking the Bordeaux river cruise but staying an extra week, probably going to Portugal. We just have to pick the airport we want to fly out of.  That is a very nice feature that Viking offers.

On 5/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, Mich3554 said:

Yes, 30 days at each end.  

To clarify, it is a total of 30 days. As an example, if you were to deviate 7 days prior to the start of your cruise, you would then have 23 days to deviate at the end of your cruise. It appears there is no exception to the 30 day rule. We are doing the GE in December and I asked for a 45 day deviation at the end of the cruise but was denied. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:56 PM, rizello said:

I just discovered this.  We are taking the Bordeaux river cruise but staying an extra week, probably going to Portugal. We just have to pick the airport we want to fly out of.  That is a very nice feature that Viking offers.

Just note that not all airports qualify so I would have some options

5 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

To clarify, it is a total of 30 days. As an example, if you were to deviate 7 days prior to the start of your cruise, you would then have 23 days to deviate at the end of your cruise. It appears there is no exception to the 30 day rule. We are doing the GE in December and I asked for a 45 day deviation at the end of the cruise but was denied. 

That’s strange.  I was told by Viking that it is no more than 30 days at either end.  So you can deviate 29 days at the beginning and 29 days at the end, but you cannot deviate 45 days at the end.

I had to verify this for our Circumnavigation of Australia we are doing next year.

54 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

That’s strange.  I was told by Viking that it is no more than 30 days at either end.  So you can deviate 29 days at the beginning and 29 days at the end, but you cannot deviate 45 days at the end.

I had to verify this for our Circumnavigation of Australia we are doing next year.

It is strange, I just asked this question three days ago and was told by Viking it is a total of 30 days, and it was explained you can split it or do it on either end but it had to total no more than 30 days.

And remember that "free air" may very well NOT include deviations, either on dates and/or airports.  Or they may be at a significant up-charge in addition to deviation/AirPlus fees.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, AveSaloon said:

And remember that "free air" may very well NOT include deviations, either on dates and/or airports.  Or they may be at a significant up-charge in addition to deviation/AirPlus fees.

We have deviated with Viking on four different trips and never had an up charge, just the $100 deviation fee and the cost of getting to the airport that Viking utilizes. We frequently go to Gothenburg, Sweden to visit our son and family. Viking doesn’t utilize Gothenburg so we make our way to Copenhagen to get a flight home. Even with the costs of the extra flights and deviation fees we still come out ahead with “free” air.

Edited by biggerbearmom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AveSaloon said:

It may not, but it also may...

Free Air is still air that is in Viking's air contract rates and would fall under the same rules and costs as air that they are charging us for.  We always have to pay the deviation fees and any up=charges if they are there.

The air is not "free", this is just Viking's way of discounting the price of the cruise without discounting the cabin price.

To me, and this may or may not be the real truth, I see this as a brilliant marketing move.  By offering a deal to guests with free air, Viking never reduces the cabin price which keeps a certain value of that cabin in front of us.  If they were to discount the cabin significantly then we would see non-discounted cabins as very expensive for future cruises...  

Not sure if the above is making sense the way I am saying it?  It makes perfect sense to me however as this is a pricing type of strategy that is used in different industries.  The act of lowering your price makes the consumer only see the lower price in the future and then they see the regular price as high.

With Viking we always see the air as extra cost, which it is.  Don't get me wrong, this is a deal when they give free air, and a strategic way to do it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AveSaloon said:

Just as often it may very well include the ability to deviate-it always has for us. 

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

It may not, but it also may...

Free Air is still air that is in Viking's air contract rates and would fall under the same rules and costs as air that they are charging us for.  We always have to pay the deviation fees and any up=charges if they are there.

The air is not "free", this is just Viking's way of discounting the price of the cruise without discounting the cabin price.

To me, and this may or may not be the real truth, I see this as a brilliant marketing move.  By offering a deal to guests with free air, Viking never reduces the cabin price which keeps a certain value of that cabin in front of us.  If they were to discount the cabin significantly then we would see non-discounted cabins as very expensive for future cruises...  

Not sure if the above is making sense the way I am saying it?  It makes perfect sense to me however as this is a pricing type of strategy that is used in different industries.  The act of lowering your price makes the consumer only see the lower price in the future and then they see the regular price as high.

With Viking we always see the air as extra cost, which it is.  Don't get me wrong, this is a deal when they give free air, and a strategic way to do it.

Agree completely and very understandable!