Queens Grillers- let me hear ya!

Some staff are better at 'being inclusive' than others and some people get a bit upset if being seen to have been 'left out'. Reasonably so I guess at times.

You only have to be a reader of this board to read of different experiences.

I rate most of the Senior M d's as being inclusive but one I highly rate was most definitely panned on this board so different folk, different thoughts.

4 hours ago, LWhit said:

This is Ico if anyone is in any doubt and yes, he is from Croatia. 

He's always wonderful with us. 

20240107_201450.jpg

Oh how wonderful,yes,this is him, he always remembers us when we arrive onboard,big softie at heart 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Oh how wonderful,yes,this is him, he always remembers us when we arrive onboard,big softie at heart 😂

Yes, I’m not quite sure how he does that, but he always seems to know your name as you walk into the restaurant for the first time. Is he very good at reading upside down from a distance?

Just now, exlondoner said:

Yes, I’m not quite sure how he does that, but he always seems to know your name as you walk into the restaurant for the first time. Is he very good at reading upside down from a distance?

😂🤣 I know,it's incredible how they do it, haven't seen him for months and as you turn into the restaurant doors it's.......ah Mr & Mrs......how lovely to see you again 😳😳😳 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 6:15 PM, Victoria2 said:

It does. I'd go with that too. Not top of my list of great Maître d's

In a time of great emotional turmoil for my husband and I on one evening, Ico could not have kinder or more discreet when called upon. The epitome of service in our humble opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

In a time of great emotional turmoil for my husband and I on one evening, Ico could not have kinder or more discreet when called upon. The epitome of service in our humble opinion.

I would expect that from all staff, the senior ones being the ones able to be proactive.

11 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Yes,he is a very kind gentleman & tbh he has an air of authority about him,which I like in senior crew members.

Hope your hubby was ok 😊💖

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Yes,he is a very kind gentleman & tbh he has an air of authority about him,which I like in senior crew members.

Hope your hubby was ok 😊💖

Thanks jaypo63. 🙂

Couldn't agree more. When things went pair shaped for us, he stepped in, took charge and made sure we were looked after with style & grace and without embarrassment.

Agree he could be slightly intimidating to some, but when it comes down to it he is everything Cunard should be proud of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Thanks jaypo63. 🙂

Couldn't agree more. When things went pair shaped for us, he stepped in, took charge and made sure we were looked after with style & grace and without embarrassment.

Agree he could be slightly intimidating to some, but when it comes down to it he is everything Cunard should be proud of.

Again, I would expect all M d's to help exactly as you have described. All of them without fail. It's part of their job and all the ones we have met are there because they deserve the position and as you say, do Cunard proud but that doesn't mean they are all 'perfect' all the time.

None of the Senior M d's are intimidating. In fact no QG restaurant staff members are in our not exactly slight  experience and if that is a perceived issue for some then that might just be a personal problem.

I don't know what your experience is of Cunard M d's  but if a tick sheet were to be completed, for us, most would get a full five star rating. Not making sure to speak to every table *very often would not rate five stars and yes, maybe not every night but some folk DO like to have the M d' come to greet/pass the time of day/ ask if everything is OK and seeing or reading of folk making the point that didn't happen does not detract from their position of Senior M d' but doesn't give the full five stars.

Opinions will vary and it's down to experiences at the end of the day.

Edited by Victoria2
* very often

I am lucky that I have never had to deal with any sort of major crisis on our cruises so far, but, in the minor ones and very minor ones, which are often the most irritating for the staff, I have found the Cunard crew to be almost unvaryingly kind to a degree that goes beyond the requirements of their jobs. I think those who travel in the QG are also lucky to have the lovely Concierge to help sort things, reducing dependence on the not always so lovely Purser’s Office. But the waiters and stewards and butlers have always been genuinely kind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Thanks jaypo63. 🙂

Totally agree,he is an asset. I think he said he wouldn't be on QA which is a shame as this seems to be the ship that is doing  the Christmas & New year cruise now & is our main holiday. I find if you treat them with respect & have a good laugh with them,you get so much more back from them. I've seen some appalling behaviour towards staff,which I find disgusting 🤨

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I am lucky that I have never had to deal with any sort of major crisis on our cruises so far, but, in the minor ones and very minor ones, which are often the most irritating for the staff, I have found the Cunard crew to be almost unvaryingly kind to a degree that goes beyond the requirements of their jobs. I think those who travel in the QG are also lucky to have the lovely Concierge to help sort things, reducing dependence on the not always so lovely Purser’s Office. But the waiters and stewards and butlers have always been genuinely kind.

They really are fantastic aren't they? I think once in all my years of cruising I've had a real grump of a waiter but then we don't know what they may be dealing with x

3 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

They really are fantastic aren't they? I think once in all my years of cruising I've had a real grump of a waiter but then we don't know what they may be dealing with x

There were one or two people on the QE2 who made me think they didn’t quite consider me worthy of their attention, but that was long ago and more recently they have all been lovely.

On 6/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, Wedgie Wedgie said:

We have been to Vancouver many times and used to live in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, just across the Haro Strait from Victoria. We should have visited Alaska while we lived there but never made it. Now we're in FL.

Anyhoo, we love sushi and Vancouver is one of the best cities we have visited for such. We have a reservation for embark eve at Miko which is very close to Pan Pacific.

Funny how that happens. A good friend who lives in North Vancouver used to scoff at the idea of an Alaska cruise, but was hooked as soon as she went on her first one. I hope you have the same reaction. Living in So Cal, it's our Caribbean equivalent with a short flight to YVR.

Going to check out Miko. I love sushi but it'll need to have some other items for DH. He's more of a ramen guy - I did find a couple of good-looking places to try out. Only three nights to stuff it all in, oh the horror, lol.