"Back Home" on QUEEN VICTORIA (5-27 May)

Just now, S1971 said:

As well as Live Aid he was the singer with Ultravox, best known for the single Vienna, it's one of those songs that if you hear it you'll know it.

I honestly doubt that, if I dare challenge that view.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I honestly doubt that, if I dare challenge that view.

I wonder if you would remember the song that kept Vienna off the no1 spot in the charts, It was called 'Shut uppa your face', a fun and catchy tune but Vienna is pure genius.  I was about 11 when Vienna came out and Midge Ure was a childhood crush of mine, if I saw him coming along the promenade towards me I may fall overboard from weakness in the legs or he would jump overboard to avoid me as I put on a display similar to the girls during the Beatles Mania era!  Anyway, I really hope to get to hear a lecture from him some time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

While I’d never heard of him. Or actually is it a woman? The only Midge I knew was, short for Imogen.

His given name is actually James and he produced and wrote Do They Know it's Christmas.  He is the real talent in the Live Aid partnership, a talented musician and producer of music.  You'd approve - he wears a suit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

I wonder if you would remember the song that kept Vienna off the no1 spot in the charts, It was called 'Shut uppa your face', a fun and catchy tune but Vienna is pure genius.  I was about 11 when Vienna came out and Midge Ure was a childhood crush of mine, if I saw him coming along the promenade towards me I may fall overboard from weakness in the legs or he would jump overboard to avoid me as I put on a display similar to the girls during the Beatles Mania era!  Anyway, I really hope to get to hear a lecture from him some time.

Vienna was actually 4 weeks at no.2 due to John Lennon being shot, then Shut Uppa Your Face" took number one at Christmas.

He is also one of my all times musical heroes, very undervalued for his solo work and also an absolutely charming man. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Vienna was actually 4 weeks at no.2 due to John Lennon being shot, then Shut Uppa Your Face" took number one at Christmas.

He is also one of my all times musical heroes, very undervalued for his solo work and also an absolutely charming man. 

I hadn't realised that was when Lennon was shot so yes I can see that Ultravox didn't stand a chance making it to number one those weeks.  I'll think more fondly of Shut Uppa your face now which is quite good as I haven't been able to stop singing it since posting about it. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

I hadn't realised that was when Lennon was shot so yes I can see that Ultravox didn't stand a chance making it to number one those weeks.  I'll think more fondly of Shut Uppa your face now which is quite good as I haven't been able to stop singing it since posting about it. 

We British love a novelty Christmas record.  Ernie The Fastest Milkman in the West by Benny Hill.being particularly big in my part of the world, but then there's other "gems" like Mr Blobby and Bob the Builder. Need I say more? 

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2024 at 4:23 PM, LEESRE said:

How much have they gone up to please.

Currently on board and can confirm price increase/menu change. Martinis do appear to be $15+ in Commodore. Some fancy concoctions going on which staff are trying to master! No Vieux carre on menu but gladly made for OH and my Queens Negroni has shot up to $13.50 on menu but both drinks charged at $12 - who knows? Will try to upload current menus but unfortunately I’m not that savvy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pear Carr said:

Currently on board and can confirm price increase/menu change. Martinis do appear to be $15+ in Commodore. Some fancy concoctions going on which staff are trying to master! No Vieux carre on menu but gladly made for OH and my Queens Negroni has shot up to $13.50 on menu but both drinks charged at $12 - who knows? Will try to upload current menus but unfortunately I’m not that savvy!

Thank you, hopefully someone will be able to upload the New drinks menu.

Just checked on My Voyage app and menu for Commodore etc still the old one so no download available from that - I will take a few screen shots when I can from hand held menu.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

i remember him first of all in Slik, with the song Forever and Ever. Around the time of the Bay City Rollers! 

Would love to see him now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

i remember him first of all in Slik, with the song Forever and Ever. Around the time of the Bay City Rollers! 

Would love to see him now.

Wow, I have just looked the song and video up on Youtube and whilst I recognised the song, vaguely, I never knew he was in that band, granted I was 5 at the time.  What an education CruiseCritic is, you come for the tips and insider knowledge for an enjoyable cruise and leave questioning your musical knowledge. I want you on my team at the pub quiz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/30/2024 at 12:20 AM, GeorgianGal100 said:

Wow, I have just looked the song and video up on Youtube and whilst I recognised the song, vaguely, I never knew he was in that band, granted I was 5 at the time.  What an education CruiseCritic is, you come for the tips and insider knowledge for an enjoyable cruise and leave questioning your musical knowledge. I want you on my team at the pub quiz.

I do love a pub quiz! I was about 14 when Slik were around. It's just one of those odd things that stick in my memory. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

I do love a pub quiz! I was about 14 when Slik were around. It's just one of those odd things that stick in my memory. 

I'm fairly sure I danced to the previous band, Salvation at Clouds Disco in Glasgow. Not sure if Midge had joined them by then.

I was more interested in the girls I was dancing with than who was playing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Pear Carr Hope you’re enjoying your cruise. Is she “home porting” in Barcelona or Rome (or Istanbul for that matter). Was wondering what the VAT situation is. Last year based in Barcelona it was Spanish VAT all summer until we left for Singapore.

Cunard have been clever enough (but you need to be as well) to include calls during the season at Turkey on QV's summer programme which gets Spanish hands out of your pockets once you leave their waters. I think the same holds true if originating in Italy and if the itinerary later calls at a non EU country, you escape VAT as well. We paid VAT on QV only in Spanish waters. 

We flew home from Civitavecchia and were frankly delighted with the arrangements (transfers, etc) and FCO is so superior to BCN on all counts.  The BA lounge there had service that rivalled the Concorde Room at LHR. Charming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

@Pear Carr Hope you’re enjoying your cruise. Is she “home porting” in Barcelona or Rome (or Istanbul for that matter). Was wondering what the VAT situation is. Last year based in Barcelona it was Spanish VAT all summer until we left for Singapore.

Sorry we embarked at Civitavecchia, disembarking same on 10/6, and we are not in Spanish waters so unable to comment.  Service and food have been excellent so far in all areas and the chefs have been out every evening after second sitting in Britannia restaurant for feedback! World Club and Captains party’s back in full swing! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Cunard have been clever enough (but you need to be as well) to include calls during the season at Turkey on QV's summer programme which gets Spanish hands out of your pockets once you leave their waters. I think the same holds true if originating in Italy and if the itinerary later calls at a non EU country, you escape VAT as well. We paid VAT on QV only in Spanish waters. 

We flew home from Civitavecchia and were frankly delighted with the arrangements (transfers, etc) and FCO is so superior to BCN on all counts.  The BA lounge there had service that rivalled the Concorde Room at LHR. Charming. 

Fortunately we are flying to BCN and sailing back to Southampton😎

• Like 1