Room size concerns

4thgrade

Hello!  My husband and I have cruised both NCL and Celebrity.  We are considering a VV cruise on the Resilient Lady.  We have noticed the Sea Terrace rooms are smaller than equivalent rooms on both NCL and Celebrity.  If you have sailed on both, have you really noticed the smaller cabin size?  Thank you so much.

If you are comparing to a standard balcony on almost any other main stream cruise line, they are very similar (perhaps a bit smaller/larger depending on the line/ship you are comparing).  The bathroom may be a bit more compact, but it is certainly workable for most people.  

• Like 1

I’ve not done any other cruise line, but I don’t think the cabins on VV feel small, except maybe the bathroom. XL rooms have a larger bathroom, but the cabin overall feels similar to others.

• Like 1

I've sailed on Celebrity 19 times and Virgin 8 times.  Comparing to the Celebrity balcony on the newer ships (Edge class), the Sea Terrace cabins on Virgin may be slightly smaller in square footage, but the layout makes it feel like there's more space.  Virgin's decor and furnishings are minimalist and clean lines.  There's no sofa to take up a lot of floor space.  Instead, there's a single chair.  There's no coffee table but a movable bedside table.  The bathroom is a bit small, but that doesn't bother me.  You're only in there for the necessities of life.  Take a look at this link for detailed room descriptions and views.  And nothing is better than a hammock on the balcony!

https://www.virginvoyages.com/cabins/compare-cabins

• Like 1

When I was in a mini-suite on the Discovery Princess back in October 2022 I actually measured the bathroom there. I had already measured the Sea Terrace bathroom on my cruise in 2021. They were almost identical square footage. The difference is that the Sea Terrace has a nice size shower with a rainforest shower head versus the tiny shower with "grab and stick" shower curtain on Princess. So you sacrifice the area with the sink and toilet for a nice relaxing shower. They do need more storage area though in the bathroom so this is where a nice carryall hanging shower caddy works really well.

• Like 1

There is a lot more to a room than size.  Layout is VERY important.  Some ship cabins have a significant amount of wasted or unusable space while others are well designed.  

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

I think they "feel" smaller...the bathroom is definitely tiny.

I mean, most cruise ship bathrooms are built for 1 at a time unless u r in a suite.

• Like 2

I totally agree and plan on having them switch to the couch (corner group) in the day time.  They offer it in all the ads, I plan on taking advantage.   I’m thinking of the room as a living room in the daytime and a bedroom at night and then size seems big.  

• Like 2

On 5/28/2024 at 10:39 PM, kaysha2004 said:

I've sailed on Celebrity 19 times and Virgin 8 times.  Comparing to the Celebrity balcony on the newer ships (Edge class), the Sea Terrace cabins on Virgin may be slightly smaller in square footage, but the layout makes it feel like there's more space.  Virgin's decor and furnishings are minimalist and clean lines.  There's no sofa to take up a lot of floor space.  Instead, there's a single chair.  There's no coffee table but a movable bedside table.  The bathroom is a bit small, but that doesn't bother me.  You're only in there for the necessities of life.  Take a look at this link for detailed room descriptions and views.  And nothing is better than a hammock on the balcony!

https://www.virginvoyages.com/cabins/compare-cabins

Also booked a sea terrace. How do we check that ours definitely will have a hammock? Virgin just states that almost all have one. 

1 hour ago, madmedic said:

Also booked a sea terrace. How do we check that ours definitely will have a hammock? Virgin just states that almost all have one. 

In all fairness, I would not book any sort of balcony cabin without the hammock.  Seriously the best feature in the rooms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

In all fairness, I would not book any sort of balcony cabin without the hammock.  Seriously the best feature in the rooms.

Definitely! We are really looking forward to that. 

54 minutes ago, madmedic said:

That's really helpful thanks. Looks like we'll be lucky 🤞

It’s not luck, most sea terrace cabins have them, but some XL terrace rooms are so far forward there isn’t enough attachment points for them to have hammocks. So if you book regular sea terrace it’s almost certainly going to have one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmedic said:

Call Virgin and ask them if your cabin has a hammock. If not, you can switch to a cabin that does.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar concerns about room size before our first VV cruise last year.  We've cruised before on Royal, Celebrity, and Carnival.  Once we were in the room, it was fine.  It might be a bit smaller on paper, but it 'felt' about the same size as any standard cruise room.  Hopefully, it won't be an issue for you either.

• Like 1

Not that I recall, but you can take the room control notepad and dial down the dome light in the ceiling to 1% and have a nitelight or search Amazon for USB Night Light

image.jpeg.d68fe682650ec3d9f5c971edbef66f06.jpeg

That’s okay.  I have a rechargeable motion activated nightlight that is magnetic.  On MSC I put it on the wall across from the toilet.  On Carnival it was on the doorframe.  Recharge with a usb cable.  EM

Does Virgin have a bridgecam channel on the TV?  I usually leave that on and though ther is no picture at night, there is enough ambient light to make a nightlight.  EM

On 6/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, cantgetin said:

No nightlight in bathroom or elsewhere unless you bring one.  No plug in bathroom unless in a suite.

How about a shaver socket in sea terrace bathrooms?