Noise from elevator

nightime

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We had 3046 for our last cruise and loved it.  First time on Deck 3.  It was close to the laundry for my pre-dawn sprint in robe to throw in a load.  Plus we always knew what was fore and aft.  If all we saw stepping out the door were cabins then that was the direction of the forward elevators.  If we saw the atrium tables then that was the direction to aft elevators.

OK, but how can  this be better than those little fish swimming up stream on NCL carplets😂?

My husband misses those and the little dial beside the door to indicate room needs.  He loved doing that.  Men are funny.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I believe you.  But what is in that space if not doors to staterooms?  Or are you saying that the room numbers that look like they open to the elevators on the floor plan are actually 5 feet away and other room numbers are located in that space.  

The walls facing the elevator lobby are, to put it bluntly, the walls behind the toilets / bathroom for 5028/5030.  The entry doors are further from away from the elevator lobby.   Believe me, no sound at all.  I was very relieved.

4th and 6th floors have cabin doors that open facing the forward elevator lobby.  5th does not.  Have not checked 3rd floor yet.  Just reporting what I observe.

Edited by CCWineLover

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, fourth floor rooms open into the elevator space but the 5th floor rooms do not.

The Viking Deck plan is wrong - we are in 5028 as we speak!  No issues whatsoever.  We go out the door, go about 5 feet down the corridor and then into the elevator/stair lobby.  I'll have to take a picture.  We had been worried, but are relieved the deck plan map is inaccurate.

This is interesting.  Anywhere to get accurate deck plans?

40 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The walls facing the elevator lobby are, to put it bluntly, the walls behind the toilets / bathroom for 5028/5030.  The entry doors are further from away from the elevator lobby.   Believe me, no sound at all.  I was very relieved.

4th and 6th floors have cabin doors that open facing the forward elevator lobby.  5th does not.  Have not checked 3rd floor yet.  Just reporting what I observe.

That is interesting.  Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

OK, but how can  this be better than those little fish swimming up stream on NCL carplets😂?

My husband misses those and the little dial beside the door to indicate room needs.  He loved doing that.  Men are funny.  

Never been on NCL.  But that is cute - fish swimming to the bow or fore of the ship to indicate orientation.

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I always travel with ear plugs, but I cannot wear the ones that are foam cone like ones... they don't fit, they don't block sound for me, and they fall out.

I wear silicone ones that form to the ear and for me they are a game changer.  I keep the smaller container by the bed and if needed, I put them in.  They also block snoring sound - for me.

These do NOT work for me:

image.png.cdb8678275b53e714f5ee4fedc23c80d.png

These are a game changer for me:

image.thumb.png.0b09306fe53a12da4ec8f818df88ca5b.png

I do the same for the same reason.  Bucky had bags of those cone things (from working in power plants)...but they don't stay in my small ear canals.  Did the same as you, though mine are pink of course...  🙂   with those silicone plugs.  They are great!  I also use them on other cruise ships with shows that are way too loud.  

For me, the biggest sources of noise pollution are, your neighbouring staterooms (the noise insulation is quite poor, you will hear their TV even at fairly low volumes), and the elevator music playing in most public spaces (this seems to me to be worse on recent cruises).

I’ve had to complain to guest services about TV noise on some cruises (loud volumes after eleven o’clock at night), and they have been able to help, so keep that in mind.

Ear plugs are a last resort for me.

Just now, CannyScotTor said:

Ear plugs are a last resort for me.

Yeah - I just don't fight noise.  I have found these ear plugs easy for me to wear and so I just pop them in if there are going to be any noises that I think will keep me up.

I also find on ocean ships, that in rough waters, you can have creaks and cracks and they just melt away with these ear plugs.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, CCWineLover said:

I'll check it out.  Heading to dinner soon on Mars from 5028.  It is just down the hall.

Just wondering if you have taken a stroll past 5060.  Thanks

6 minutes ago, Islandbc said:

Just wondering if you have taken a stroll past 5060.  Thanks

Yes I did!  5060 is a fine location. Decently distant from elevator lobby.   The only questionable one is 5068, which is the only one that faces onto the elevator lobby.

Here is room 5068 view from the elevators.  (Same applies to 5069 on other side).  Maybe I'll try to take shots of all floors at the elevator lobbies and document all this!

IMG_3068 Room 5068.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes I did!  5060 is a fine location. Decently distant from elevator lobby.   The only questionable one is 5068, which is the only one that faces onto the elevator lobby.

Here is room 5068 view from the elevators.  (Same applies to 5069 on other side).  Maybe I'll try to take shots of all floors at the elevator lobbies and document all this!

IMG_3068 Room 5068.jpg

This is quite different from the diagram:

image.png.0d41e9a4c9724ea2a7b15cde7f0239dc.png

23 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

IMG_3068 Room 5068.jpg

Thanks for checking this out for us.  If all goes as planned, we will be there for 121 days!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Thanks for checking this out for us.  If all goes as planned, we will be there for 121 days!

This is really great information.  I would assume each deck would be different depending on various cabins on each deck.  I looked all over trying to find pictures like this.  If you do post pictures from each deck I promise to  write down cabin #s and keep for future bookings.  

Edited by Ready to Sail!

5 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

This is really great information.  I would assume each deck would be different depending on various cabins on each deck.  I looked all over trying to find pictures like this.  If you do post pictures from each deck I promise to  write down cabin #s and keep for future bookings.  

We book on deck 3 forward if possible.  If someone would make a list for the forward elevators that would be great also.  Picture not necessary for each deck, just list.  Maybe a fun project for someone with two many sea days on their hands.😂 We love all the lists and charts provided by others regarding catagories, direction of beds ect.  I have saved them all.  

6 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

45 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We book on deck 3 forward if possible.  If someone would make a list for the forward elevators that would be great also.  Picture not necessary for each deck, just list.  Maybe a fun project for someone with two many sea days on their hands.😂 We love all the lists and charts provided by others regarding catagories, direction of beds ect.  I have saved them all.  

I should add I would be happy to do this but our next cruise isn't until February '25. 

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:30 AM, Ready to Sail! said:

I should add I would be happy to do this but our next cruise isn't until February '25. 

Could someone currently on a cruise now please at least take a look at Deck 4, aft elevators and tell us which cabins are directly across and open door is facing into lobby.  I'm looking at cruises and few available cabins are in the vacinity but since the deck plans are not accurate would like to know.  Thank you. I would really appreciate. 

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Could someone currently on a cruise now please at least take a look at Deck 4, aft elevators and tell us which cabins are directly across and open door is facing into lobby.  I'm looking at cruises and few available cabins are in the vacinity but since the deck plans are not accurate would like to know.  Thank you. I would really appreciate. 

I today took pictures and documented on Viking Mars of all the rooms facing the elevator lobbies forward and aft and the aft stairs.  I'll be putting it into a summary document.  In the meantime, for you, the 4th floor aft elevators:  

4072/4073 face the lobby and 4070/4071 can also slightly see the lobby.  Here's the picture.

Hope this helps. The full door you see is 4072 and the partial door to the right (as you move forward on the port side) is 4070.

4Aft-Elev4072-40704073-4071.thumb.JPG.4f6a13f12af2e805495ce2e206eaa759.JPG

• Thanks 2

On 6/2/2024 at 5:47 AM, CDNPolar said:

I always travel with ear plugs, but I cannot wear the ones that are foam cone like ones... they don't fit, they don't block sound for me, and they fall out.

I wear silicone ones that form to the ear and for me they are a game changer.  I keep the smaller container by the bed and if needed, I put them in.  They also block snoring sound - for me.

These do NOT work for me:

image.png.cdb8678275b53e714f5ee4fedc23c80d.png

These are a game changer for me:

image.thumb.png.0b09306fe53a12da4ec8f818df88ca5b.png

Thanks so much.  I wear earplugs, even at home—-snoring and early riser husband.  The earplugs often don’t help.  I am going to try these silicone ones.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I today took pictures and documented on Viking Mars of all the rooms facing the elevator lobbies forward and aft and the aft stairs.  I'll be putting it into a summary document.  In the meantime, for you, the 4th floor aft elevators:  

4072/4073 face the lobby and 4070/4071 can also slightly see the lobby.  Here's the picture.

Hope this helps. The full door you see is 4072 and the partial door to the right (as you move forward on the port side) is 4070.

Yes, definately answers my concerns.  We will stay where we are for now in 3043.  We do want starboard for BA to Santiago and most of those are gone.  I do have concerns about motion sickness also so was thinking of trying to get more midship. Will just keep playing cabin bingo and maybe something else will open up.  We did start on Port and it took 2 months but checked persistently until 3043 became available. Good possibility as we are still 8 months out. Does seem like cabin doors/elevator lobby  concerns do come up often so we will look forward to your document.  Looks like you're  approaching Iceland. Maybe you will see some lava eruption if sailing clockwise toward Reykjavik.  Thanks you again.  We really appreciate your efforts.  

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks from we as well.   Looking forward to checking out situation on deck 7 close to elevator also.  

15 hours ago, jmfdr said:

Thanks so much.  I wear earplugs, even at home—-snoring and early riser husband.  The earplugs often don’t help.  I am going to try these silicone ones.

The silicone ones for me were a game changer.

• Like 1

6058 is our favorite cabin.  Close to elevators and stairs, quiet.  Viking turns off the elevator notification bell at 9pm, BTW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1