Civitavecchia Port to FCO (Rome) for an 11:40 AM flight

jennybenny

Our flight was rescheduled to an earlier hour by the airline. I'm seeking information, not negativity. Will there be taxis at the port for an early walk-off from our Princess cruise? We disembark on a Saturday in August after visiting Spanish and ending with Italian ports, heading to another EU country. Concerned about tight connection for our flight and checking luggage. Hoping to avoid last-minute lines at Ryanair. Disappointed with the change from our originally booked 3:30 PM flight.

I was hoping someone could provide their experience with walk off disembarkation and arrival to the FCO airport.

Thank you,

Jennifer

There may be taxis outside the port which will require you to take an intra-port shuttle to their location.  I would recommend booking a transfer to FCO with a provider authorized to drive within the port to where your ship is docked.  There are many reputable firms recommended on this board who could fulfill your needs.

NEGATIVITY ALERT: Having cruised with Princess 50+ times, many disembarking in Civitavecchia, I can tell you if anything can go wrong to cause a delay, it will.

I suggest you do a self walk-off where you handle your own luggage from your cabin on disembarkation day.  Don't put your luggage out in the hallway the evening before.  Disembarkation will go much more quickly.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

There may be taxis outside the port which will require you to take an intra-port shuttle to their location.  I would recommend booking a transfer to FCO with a provider authorized to drive within the port to where your ship is docked.  There are many reputable firms recommended on this board who could fulfill your needs.

NEGATIVITY ALERT: Having cruised with Princess 50+ times, many disembarking in Civitavecchia, I can tell you if anything can go wrong to cause a delay, it will.

I suggest you do a self walk-off where you handle your own luggage from your cabin on disembarkation day.  Don't put your luggage out in the hallway the evening before.  Disembarkation will go much more quickly.

Thank you, that wasn't negative at all. We do plan to take our luggage off ourselves. I will start to look at booking with an authorized provider. Better to be safe than sorry, I just worried that hiring someone might be more difficult to find them than getting a taxi, but I've only done embarkation in Civitavecchia in the past, not disembarkation. 

Thanks again. 

It has been awhile since we flew out of FCO on disembarkation day, but I believe the recommended arrival time is three hours for a flight to the USA.  I do not know what is recommended for intra-Europe flights.

You don't mention your flight time, but I'd recommend you schedule your arrival at FCO as early as possible.  I'd rather hang out at the airport than on the ship on flight day.  Your transfer service would be a good source of accurate information.  Check your airline's website for their recommendation.

• Thanks 1

We're in the same boat (so to speak). Except we have an even tighter timeline, with our September flight leaving at 11:15. While it will be tight, it is do-able...assuming everything works out and the stars are aligned.

I have read many accounts of people disembarking at the port at around 6:45 and having time to spare at FCO with flights leaving as early as 10:00. They get through security, etc., getting to the gate with time to kill. Those may be exceptions to the rule, but it shows it can be done.

We will be doing carry-ons only, so no need to locate and pick up baggage when we disembark. We also have private transport set up with Rome In Limo...a very reputable company who we have used in the past for tours and transport. Since we have carry-ons, no need to check bags (which I've read can be one of the big sources of delays at FCO...along with security.) We are also considering getting the Fast Pass for seven euro...although I have read varying reports as to whether it's really needed.

So, fingers crossed (which makes typing even more difficult). I'd be interested in seeing how things go for you in August. Good luck, @jennybenny.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing @schmoopie17

I will report back on how things go for us. We used Bob's limosine in the past, in Rome to arrive to the port, so I've asked them for a quote. I will check out Rome in Limo, as we have not heard back from Bob's yet. 

I didn't even think about the fast track. I was just about to add it, but I booked my airfare with it! 

Thank you, 

We had a 10:40 flight out of FCO that we made with no problem. (flying economy)

(it was a saturday though!)

Arrival of our ship was 6.00, disembarkation (walkoff) started before 7.

We carried our own bags and 

had preordered cse (civitavecchia shuttle express). They werde excellent!

(cost was 140 E)

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry this situation happened to you. Try to disembark as early as possible. We recently returned from a cruise with disembarkation in Barcelona, for us citizen from the European Union it took 30 minutes to pass through emigration, but for passengers from the USA it took much longer. May everything go for the best!

1 hour ago, framboesa said:

I'm sorry this situation happened to you. Try to disembark as early as possible. We recently returned from a cruise with disembarkation in Barcelona, for us citizen from the European Union it took 30 minutes to pass through emigration, but for passengers from the USA it took much longer. May everything go for the best!

That's a good point! Thank you!! I had not considered that problem. 

25 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

That's a good point! Thank you!! I had not considered that problem. 

It shouldn't be an issue for you as I believe your itinerary includes only EU ports.

20 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

It shouldn't be an issue for you as I believe your itinerary includes only EU ports.

But the OP is not from EU I believe...I was speaking about the last day, when you end the cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, framboesa said:

But the OP is not from EU I believe...I was speaking about the last day, when you end the cruise.

I understand what you are stating, but we're citizens of the US and have taken many cruises that have included only EU ports. For those cruises, we have never been required to process through immigration or customs upon disembarkation.  Unless laws have changed, the OP shouldn't have to either.

Also, after visiting a non-EU port we have been required to process through immigration upon arrival at the next EU port.

2 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

I understand what you are stating, but we're citizens of the US and have taken many cruises that have included only EU ports. For those cruises, we have never been required to process through immigration or customs upon disembarkation.  Unless laws have changed, the OP shouldn't have to either.

Also, after visiting a non-EU port we have been required to process through immigration upon arrival at the next EU port.

I have no idea 🙂 During our past cruises there were two queues, one for EU citizen and other for non EU citizen. This was in Barcelona and Savonna. Maybe those rules only apply to some ports 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, framboesa said:

During our past cruises there were two queues, one for EU citizen and other for non EU citizen.

We're faced with what you describe when we arrive at any airport in the EU from the US.

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

Yes, only EU ports, but I still think there will be an EU vs other passports line, like the airport

2 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Yes, only EU ports, but I still think there will be an EU vs other passports line, like the airport

If so, I'll certainly stand as corrected.  Please let us know what you learn upon disembarkation.  

Enjoy your cruise...

• Like 1

I am still confused about the Fast Track at FCO. There isn't much discussion of this online (at least not that I can find.) 

I'm not sure what it gets you, other than possibly skipping the line (if any) at security screening. Some people say security is not the worst line.  Apparently, it doesn't have anything to do with passport control.

I suppose it might be a case of it's better to  "Have it but not need it"...as opposed to the worst case of "Needing it but not having it." It's only seven euro p/p...but still I struggle with getting it or not getting it.

I'd really like input from someone who has actually used it. Maybe a new thread is in order...

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

I am still confused about the Fast Track at FCO. There isn't much discussion of this online (at least not that I can find.) 

I'm not sure what it gets you, other than possibly skipping the line (if any) at security screening. Some people say security is not the worst line.  Apparently, it doesn't have anything to do with passport control.

I suppose it might be a case of it's better to  "Have it but not need it"...as opposed to the worst case of "Needing it but not having it." It's only seven euro p/p...but still I struggle with getting it or not getting it.

I'd really like input from someone who has actually used it. Maybe a new thread is in order...

Fast track in European airports is a shorter line for security, think TSA Precheck back in USA.

The only thing it gets you is a shorter line through security, nothing to do with passport control, that's another line. However, if going from one EU country to another EU country, you don't usually have to go through passport control after security. 

FCO is a crazy busy airport, that's why we paid for fast track. I actually didn't realize I had it until I went to add it to the booking. If I am not in a rush, I usually don't pay for it, but DH can get impatient with crowds, so that's why I must have paid for it. I get it for free when traveling on Delta/Air France and KLM due to airline status, so I'm sure other airlines provide it for free as well with status or ticket (think business class/first class). The fast track line is usually not very busy and goes quickly. While the security line can be long, it doesn't take as long as it looks to go through the line, it's the scanners that take long. No one checks your documentation through security, just your boarding pass, and you scan it yourself. It's the unloading of bags, taking out laptops, liquids,sweaters, that takes long.  

• Thanks 1

Can I hijack this thread and ask about a 10:40 am flight from FCO? We are overnighting in Civitavecchia so fortunately we don't have to wait for ship clearance, which usually slows down the disembarkation.  I'm told we can disembark as early as 5:45 am.  What time would you suggest we have our transfer pick us up to get to FCO about 8:30 am? Should we plan on walking off with our luggage, or leave it out overnight since the ship will probably have staggered disembarkation times depending on what time we pick? Also, if we use the ship's transfer, does that make it easier to leave on time?

If you are using a car service, simply tell them what time you want to be at the airport and let them tell you what time they need to pick you up to achieve that goal.  They are the experts on the roads, traffic, and potential slowdowns, don't try and do their job for them.  You can assume it will be about an hour to get from the port to the airport, for planning purposes.

If your flight is direct to somewhere in the States you'll need to be at the airport by 7:40.  If you have a stop somewhere in the Schengen zone prior to your transatlantic flight you'll need to be at FCO by 8:40.

All you have to do is figure out what time you need to get off the ship to meet your driver at the appointed time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jennybenny said:

However, if going from one EU country to another EU country, you don't usually have to go through passport control after security. 

Well, since we'll be coming from the port, we'll be doing passport control...unfortunately.

5 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Fast track in European airports is a shorter line for security, think TSA Precheck back in USA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that (unlike TSA Precheck) you don't go through a different security process, you just have a shorter line to the regular security process. In other words, you'll have to remove shoes, take off belts - whatever - either way.

18 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that (unlike TSA Precheck) you don't go through a different security process, you just have a shorter line to the regular security process. In other words, you'll have to remove shoes, take off belts - whatever - either way.

Yes, it's a shorter line. You DO have to take liquids and laptop out, I don't wear a belt, but for those that do, they come off, as do smart watches (I usually have to toss it into my backpack last minute because I always forget. However, I haven't had to take my shoes off in a while for an EU flight. If they don't buzz through security, I'm good. Every once in a while, they make me take them off, but I have my travel shoes so I know I'm good.

Now, I'm sure I've just jinxed myself by writing that down.

It does feel like their random checks are a handful of people in a row, when selected. Not as random feeling as in the USA. 

• Thanks 1