Good reminder not to share your travel info on the internet

On 6/22/2024 at 11:56 AM, BlerkOne said:

If you join a roll call, it is a reasonable assumption that you will be on the cruise. If someone breaks into your house while you are gone, who's fault is that?

If the thiefs can figure out my real name and address from my posts, I deserve to be robbed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

If the thiefs can figure out my real name and address from my posts, I deserve to be robbed. 

If there are any geolocation tags associated with posts, it's a start. Data brokers accumulate all kinds of information from many sources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CC does have a VOLUNTARY profile that includes birthrate, location and zip code.

I'm sure there are folks out there who use their real name and fill out the form completely. 

Facebook requiring real name and birthrdate is extremely dangerous.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

CC does have a VOLUNTARY profile that includes birthrate, location and zip code.

I'm sure there are folks out there who use their real name and fill out the form completely. 

Facebook requiring real name and birthdate is extremely dangerous.

FB may "require" it but lots don't use their real name.  In fact, while my FB name is my "name", it's not my legal name (my first name isn't what I have on my page and I use my maiden name as my middle name).  I know a lot of women who do it that way so they can be found by old friends/classmates.  I also used to do something in my work that concerned sending people's real names and ssn's.  There are a lot of people who do not go by their legal first name and many go by nicknames.  A couple of times it took me a while to find someone in the db if they didn't send their ssn with their request.

Edited by BND

13 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

Carnival's system should be logging information about what IP address cancelled the reservation. (This can easily be traced right back to the user)

Wouldn't shock me to see her indicted for attempted fraud.

IP addresses are not always a reliable indicator of who accessed a site. Most Internet Service Providers dynamically assign IPs that are periodically reassigned - your device may have one IP one day and a different IP the next day. If the fraud happened on a public Wi-Fi network every device connected at that location would have the same IP address. You could seriously narrow it down to a few people of it's some place small, but even then that might not be foolproof, as most public Wi-Fi networks extend to neighboring businesses and parking lots. Someone may have connected to A's network, but they may have never set foot in A, if they may were next door at B or C or did this in their vehicle.

The other possibility is that someone used a VPN to cover their tracks.

While using the IP address may catch the amateur perpetrators, the professionals know how to beat the system.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tidecat said:

IP addresses are not always a reliable indicator of who accessed a site. Most Internet Service Providers dynamically assign IPs that are periodically reassigned - your device may have one IP one day and a different IP the next day. If the fraud happened on a public Wi-Fi network every device connected at that location would have the same IP address. You could seriously narrow it down to a few people of it's some place small, but even then that might not be foolproof, as most public Wi-Fi networks extend to neighboring businesses and parking lots. Someone may have connected to A's network, but they may have never set foot in A, if they may were next door at B or C or did this in their vehicle.

The other possibility is that someone used a VPN to cover their tracks.

While using the IP address may catch the amateur perpetrators, the professionals know how to beat the system.

I worked for an IP provider for many years. It is possible that the IP has been reassigned, but the detailed logs should reveal the MAC address the IP was assigned to. The question is how fast the logs are overwritten, but the speed with which she escalated the situation likely means that those logs have already been pulled in anticipation of a possible investigation by the AG.

Second scenario is posible, but not likely. In that case, yes, a vindictive neighbor could do it, but then it again comes back to if the customer has the equipment used (MAC) that cancelled the reservation.

The more likely scenario is that someone used a public access point, then they will never figure it out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, BND said:

FB may "require" it but lots don't use their real name.  In fact, while my FB name is my "name", it's not my legal name (my first name isn't what I have on my page and I use my maiden name as my middle name).  I know a lot of women who do it that way so they can be found by old friends/classmates.  I also used to do something in my work that concerned sending people's real names and ssn's.  There are a lot of people who do not go by their legal first name and many go by nicknames.  A couple of times it took me a while to find someone in the db if they didn't send their ssn with their request.

I use my real name but not my real birthdate. 

I also rarely post there, and never anything that can identify if I'm leaving town.

Edited by DeniseTr
Spelling