6/3 Quantum unable to dock due to weather, & unavailable tug boats

Monday 6/3/24 The Quantum OTS is currently anchored in Puget Sound waiting to dock.  The weather in Seattle is very windy, and choppy seas.  The Quantum usually begins it's debarkation between 6:30 - 7 am.  It's just after 10:30 am, so sadly passengers will be missing flights.  In order to safely get the ship to the dock, multiple tugs are needed, including a particular large one which is already in use elsewhere.

Embarking passengers were notified to keep watching their emails, texts and X app messages as to when they can begin arriving at Pier 91 to board.  There is no place for passengers scheduled to board today to wait at Pier 91, so if anyone is reading this, please wait at your nearby home, your hotel, even at SeaTac airport . 

The Captain is hoping to give passengers currently onboard an update by noon today.

Fingers crossed that it will all be resolved sooner than later 

I am unable to really answer any direct questions.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

I am looking at Quantum from my office window.  It looks grim.  They're saying best case scenario is the ship mooring at 5pm but more likely 7pm at last estimate.  Anyone who knows pier 90 in Seattle knows that this is going to be a mess.  4900 debarking while another 4900 are all waiting to board at once, many of who are already at the pier.  Oof.  Not gonna be good. 

Quantum.thumb.jpg.eea833f48e73a1d757dab6c2dcd9b11f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@crzndeb, if you see any posts from any passengers who are expected to embark today, please respond to their post by telling to wait until they officially hear when embarking is scheduled to begin.  Whenever the Quantum arrives at the dock at Pier 91, it will be a slower debarkation process as only one gangway may be used due to the rough seas.

Weather at Pier 91 is very windy and cold.  The terminal is not open, so passengers need to wait at their nearby home, hotel, or at the airport 

• Like 1

I suppose this is one good reason to justify a late-in-day flight.. nothing is a given.

We're on Quantum soon and I was debating flying out the same day.  Eventually we decided to just stay the night and I'm glad we did because Delta has been swinging out flight departure time back and forth from at last as 1 PM to as early as 10 AM.  Most people understandably focus on the variable departure time from the ship- but until this trip I hadn't thought much about airline schedule changes.  

10 minutes ago, kevin1551 said:

As someone who lives in the area, the weather models are calling for wind gusts to increase over the next few hours before subsiding.

We can see an increase in white caps.

1 minute ago, irun5k said:

I suppose this is one good reason to justify a late-in-day flight.. nothing is a given.

We're on Quantum soon and I was debating flying out the same day.  Eventually we decided to just stay the night and I'm glad we did because Delta has been swinging out flight departure time back and forth from at last as 1 PM to as early as 10 AM.  Most people understandably focus on the variable departure time from the ship- but until this trip I hadn't thought much about airline schedule changes.  

This ship situation has never happened here.  This weather phenomena is something that happens in the winter.  One of my coworkers told me that their school district closed today due to the high winds.  Crazy!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's going to be a rough ride North when they do embark. Up to 30 knot winds through the strait and Vancouver Island, with 5-7 meter seas tomorrow. At least they'll miss the 50+ knot winds in the Hecate Strait tonight.

Edited by kevin1551
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The tugs are turning her around.  Maybe making a run for it.  Interesting that the little ship hasn't tried.

Q3.thumb.jpg.c97ed0fe3a001fadba092c71bd2d1e4e.jpg

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

We can see an increase in white caps.

The gusts seem to be getting worse up north also. I don’t like the wind, especially with the neighbors big trees around me.

• Like 1