Need opinions-Should I get an NCL credit card?

We've already booked an NCL cruise(our first one with NCL) for September 2025.  I was wondering if there would be any benefit to getting the NCL credit card to build up any kind of rewards or points between now and the cruise? So not to use on future cruises but to be used onboard the Sept 2025 cruise that we have already booked. I don't even know how rewards are redeemed or if there is even anything to be used onboard, I was hoping there were ways to earn points that could be used as onboard credit. Thoughts?

after a certain amount of spending ( dont know the amount and time frame), you can redeem points for upgrades on future cruises, or get a statement credit.  I only use my NCL card for cruises, and have accumulated arrow 140,000 points ( I think the points have a 3 year shelf life, then they expire).  I am going to use my points to get a statement credit after I pay off my March cruise.  I think a better option would be to purchase 100 shares of NCLH stock.  With those shares, you can get on board credits every time you cruise.  Buy the stock only once, but everytime you cruise NCL, you will get an OBC.  14 day cruises you get $250.00 OBC  7 days I believe its $100.00 OBC  Once you buy the stock, you just have to send them a statement pre-cruise with your name on it, and the amount of shares you own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You earn 3% on your NCL spending, 2% on hotels and 1% everywhere else (no limit). And there is usually a sign up bonus if you spend a certain amount in the next 90 days.

These points can be redeemed for onboard credit, cash or used towards a cabin upgrade. The amount of points needed for the upgrade takes a good amount of spending.

So, unless you already have a good cashback credit card that beats those cash back amounts, you can just apply for the card and just use it for NCL.

If you have status with B of A/ Merrill Lynch, you can earn up to 75% bonus on those cash back amounts

16 minutes ago, ngrund said:

and just use it for NCL.

I don't cruise enough in expensive enough cabins to benefit from this use case. I charge almost everything to the card and have amassed almost 20k points in a year in addition to the sign up bonus.

29 minutes ago, hallux said:

I don't cruise enough in expensive enough cabins to benefit from this use case. I charge almost everything to the card and have amassed almost 20k points in a year in addition to the sign up bonus.

Yes, but if your earning  is @ 1%, you can get and use other cards that always give 3% at restaurants, 3% at supermarkets, 5% on all travel, etc

• Like 1

if you dont need another credit card, dont bother. if you must get another card, check out the airline credit cards. they give you a bunch of points right off the bat

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

My feeling is that if a credit card needs a specific FAQ thread that's 247 pages long, it's not the credit card for me. 

The card doesn't "need" a specific FAQ. Lots of people ask the same questions over and over so there is a pinned thread to hopefully address questions. Guessing this post will be moved to that thread shortly.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FranciscoFamily said:

We've already booked an NCL cruise(our first one with NCL) for September 2025.  I was wondering if there would be any benefit to getting the NCL credit card to build up any kind of rewards or points between now and the cruise? So not to use on future cruises but to be used onboard the Sept 2025 cruise that we have already booked. I don't even know how rewards are redeemed or if there is even anything to be used onboard, I was hoping there were ways to earn points that could be used as onboard credit. Thoughts?

Wow, there certainly have been a lot of naysayers who responded to your question.  I have had an NCL Bank of America Master Card for nine years.  We have taken 30 cruises with NCL since then.  The card has saved us over $25,000 over the years.  It earns three points for every dollar you spend with NCL and one point for all other purchases.  For each $10,000 you spend with NCL you accumulate 30,000 points, enough for an upgrade from Inside to Ocean View or from Ocean View to Balcony.  We prefer to travel in Balcony staterooms, which usually cost more than $1000 per person more than Ocean Views.  The cost differential on some cruises has been much more, as much as $2500 per person, or $5000 per stateroom.  That means that for expenditures of $10,000 you can receive a return of as much as 50%.  That's far better than the 1%, 2%, or even 3% you may be able to get on most other cashback cards.  If you check some of the posts on that thread that focuses on the NCL Master Card you will find many other testimonials to the benefits of the card.  If you are among those who never sail in anything less than the Haven or anything more pricey than an Inside, then the benefits of the NCL Master Card won't be of much help to you.  If you like Balcony rooms, though, this card is for you.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the responses.

If the points earned is just 1% on most purchases and no incentive to use it as onboard credit then it may not be worth it.

We would not be doing this in hopes of earning future upgrades and cruises, the sole purpose would be to accumulate $$ for onboard credit for sept 2025.  We'll give it some more thought

2 minutes ago, FranciscoFamily said:

Thanks for all the responses.

If the points earned is just 1% on most purchases and no incentive to use it as onboard credit then it may not be worth it.

We would not be doing this in hopes of earning future upgrades and cruises, the sole purpose would be to accumulate $$ for onboard credit for sept 2025.  We'll give it some more thought

As I stated previously, upgrades from OV to Balcony may not be everyone's cup of tea.  If you cruise frequently with NCL and prefer Balconies, though, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would voluntarily give up a return of 20%, 30%, or more in favor of just 1%.

• Like 1

I have the card, I got it in 2022.  The sign up bonus was nice and I requested a statement credit and used that when I paid for my cruise.  That was an easy option, I did it myself online.  I use this card for almost all of my purchases except Amazon, because Amazon’s Chase card gives me 5-6% back on Amazon purchases.  I’ve been on 2 NCL cruises this year with one more booked for the Fall.  I plan on requesting a statement credit when final payment for that is due.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stinkyharriet said:

I have the card, I got it in 2022.  The sign up bonus was nice and I requested a statement credit and used that when I paid for my cruise.  That was an easy option, I did it myself online.  I use this card for almost all of my purchases except Amazon, because Amazon’s Chase card gives me 5-6% back on Amazon purchases.  I’ve been on 2 NCL cruises this year with one more booked for the Fall.  I plan on requesting a statement credit when final payment for that is due.

So depending upon what percentage of your purchases is for NCL cruises and what percentage is for other uses, you are receiving somewhere around a 2% return on your spending.  If you frequently sail in Balcony staterooms and were to hold onto your points until you accumulate 30,000 points, you could easily receive 20%, 30%, or more return on your purchases.  If you do save your points in anticipation of using them for an upgrade, then change your mind about that, you always can convert 10,000 points at a later time for $100.00 of either OBC or account credit.  Once you have claimed those points for 2% or 3% cashback, however, they are forever lost and you no longer have the option of redeeming them for a room upgrade at a much, much better rate of return.  Sorry, but unless Balcony staterooms just aren't your preference, I don't get why you would throw away so much free money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Wow, there certainly have been a lot of naysayers who responded to your question.

Not so much naysayers, as pointing out that there are much better cards out there. If you travel exclusively with NCL, and don't do a lot of other travelling, then it may work for you.

We travel often using other cruise lines, hotels, rental cars, airline flights, etc. With a Chase Sapphire Preferred card you can use your points for any of those things, and more, at 1:25 to 1 rate (80,000 points gets you $1000). Their sign up bonus is/was the best in the business.

You get 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Travel, 2x on all other travel, 3x on all dining, etc. 

The annual cost is $45 ($95 minus a $50 hotel credit).

It's been good to us. It's worth taking a look at the details for comparison.

13 hours ago, FranciscoFamily said:

and no incentive to use it as onboard credit then it may not be worth it.

You're right, there is no incentive to use it as OBC.  Actually, there is if your sole purpose is to get the credit for a single cruise.  The sign up bonus is your incentive - get the card, spend the required amount to get the bonus, request that your points be applied to OBC for your cruise.  Your $1,000 spend to get the bonus gets you points worth $20,000 of spending on non-NCL purchases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

You're right, there is no incentive to use it as OBC.  Actually, there is if your sole purpose is to get the credit for a single cruise.  The sign up bonus is your incentive - get the card, spend the required amount to get the bonus, request that your points be applied to OBC for your cruise.  Your $1,000 spend to get the bonus gets you points worth $20,000 of spending on non-NCL purchases.

I was looking at it again last night and thinking about it this way, lol!  I think we might do it!

Posted (edited)

I have the NCL card... although I agree it is not the best return compared to other cards, I use the points for upgrades.  everyone is right not to use it for OBC, as cruise spending is one of the few areas you get a good return.

Edited by Langham1865

3 minutes ago, FranciscoFamily said:

I was looking at it again last night and thinking about it this way, lol!  I think we might do it!

Unless you plan on sailing NCL again, that would be fine.  If you ever plan to sail NCL again, you're leaving points on the table by redeeming the bonus strictly for OBC.  Plus - the OBC is in, I think, $50 increments, you won't redeem the full 21,000 points for OBC, you'd need 25,000 for $250 of OBC.

Before you ask - that OBC can NOT be used for CruiseNext purchase.

@The Traveling ManI've had this card for a few years and I only use it for NCL charges to get the 3%. In the past, I've taken the statement credit, never thinking about doing an upgrade. Sounds like opportunity lost. We've typically always just booked balconies right off the bat without playing the upgrade game.

But now you have me thinking (dangerous, I know). How exactly do you apply the points to an NCL reservation to get the upgrade? What's the process like? Do you get to pick your cabin? (Location is very important to us)...