Discovery Princess with extended OBC

I have booked a N/Z cruise for Feb 2026 on the Discovery Princess. Went to book last Monday and my TA suggested he held the cabin until Wednesday when they had a special deal starting. The special boosted the OBC from $150 to $250 per cabin and also lowered the refundable deposit. I have always booked direct with the cruise companies until I booked the last cruise from Singapore with the TA. They are well known and have won many awards. They have been terrific and I only wished  I had used them before. I have always thought that if I used a TA I would loose the control I had by booking cruises myself but have found it has made the experience so much easier. They seem to have more rapport with the cruise companies. I guess it depends on the TA you use. 

Cheers John.

• Like 3

Yes, we have found the same, a good TA knows the system and it can lead to much better deals.

Our TA has at times found a better deal after we have booked a cruise, and been able to swap our booking to the better deal which was cheaper with a better cabin.

• Like 2

I am happy to have a trusted TA who is an expert at booking cruises. In most cases it is cheaper than booking direct and/or comes with additional OBC.

I am happy to concentrate on my part of the deal - spending the money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

The only thing I have found with TA's are their payment cutoffs, refund times etc can be different to direct with the cruise line.

Yes I agree but willing to accept that for the extra perks my TA provides and peace of mind. 😊

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

The only thing I have found with TA's are their payment cutoffs, refund times etc can be different to direct with the cruise line.

As they are the middle-man for your booking, the extra time is to make sure your payment has cleared their systems in time to be paid onto the cruise line. Some of the larger places like to do their cruise remittances in weekly batches so they aren't spending their days working like an ATM. Good T/A's will refund as quick as the cruise line, also considering the payment has to get to them first. Some do have onerous terms, cancellation fees, slow response times - I won't book through those agencies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

As they are the middle-man for your booking, the extra time is to make sure your payment has cleared their systems in time to be paid onto the cruise line. Some of the larger places like to do their cruise remittances in weekly batches so they aren't spending their days working like an ATM. Good T/A's will refund as quick as the cruise line, also considering the payment has to get to them first. Some do have onerous terms, cancellation fees, slow response times - I won't book through those agencies.

Yes, quite a few just use the Cruise Line cancellation conditions, those are the one to use.

15 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

I suppose I have never asked, but no one on any of our cruises has ever mentioned their travel agents. Don't ask, don't receive I guess.🙂

We have had a few, mostly at breakfast. We have never asked, but plenty of T/As have told us they were much better than whoever we were using.

FYI to all,

Some posts had to be removed from this thread. Here is a friendly reminder from the Travel Agent Recommendations and Advertising is Not Allowed sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Travel Agent Recommendations

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Advertising is Not Allowed

Cruise Critic has strict guidelines prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards.

Our Cruise Community is meant to be an exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the cruise boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be E-mailed, the posting of phone numbers for your business, constantly mentioning that you are in the travel business, and the referring to or posting of one's own Web site address.

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" rule without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1