Disembarkation at Fusina to Venice

Wipammy

Hello, 

I having been searching all afternoon for how Azamara handles the cruise port in Fusina. I understand this is a commercial port.

We are on btb cruises and are trying to figure out how to get from this port into Venice for day touring. It looks like there is a ferry at that port but it is unclear if you can walk there from where we dock. It also looks like there are taxis both land and water but again is there a way to get to them when you get off ship? 

The only thing Azamara is offering is a transfer to the airport.

Has anyone transferred from Fusina port to Venice to hotel or for day tour? 

If someone could make suggestions I’d be really grateful. My eyes are crossed from reading and trying to get this information. 😔 

TIA, 
Pam

The port authority transport you from the ship to Venice it is the only way allowed. There is no ferry or taxi service at the port and indeed the coach bringing you to Fusina is sealed in Venice before it leaves.

The bus transfer to Venice was to the old cruise terminal last year. Not sure how it would work with B2B passengers. Azamara sometimes arranges shore excursions for turnaround day.

There IS a vaporetto service from "Fusina" to Venice, but it is generally NOT accessible from the Fusina cruise port (you aren't allowed to walk through the truck/boat storage areas and campground between the cruise dock and the vaporetto dock.

I think I have heard of some cruise lines arranging a private tender service directly to Venice from their ship while in Fusina, but I think that was for a cruise that didn't start/end in Fusina.  

I'll be curious for any corrections or changes, because the current mode of bus transfer to the old Maritima terminal is definitely awkward.

42 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I'll be curious for any corrections or changes, because the current mode of bus transfer to the old Maritima terminal is definitely awkward.

So right.  Even after the bus transfer you're not 'really' in Venice – you have to take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then a Vaporetto to the tourist areas.  But then, Venice seems to be have designed specifically to be non-user friendly...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So right.  Even after the bus transfer you're not 'really' in Venice – you have to take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then a Vaporetto to the tourist areas.  But then, Venice seems to be have designed specifically to be non-user friendly...

I think you may mean non-tourist or non- cruiser friendly, I’m sure the residents don’t have problems. Actually we find it great to get around. Once you buy your Vaporretto ticket it’s easy if you have a map of their routes. Lots of them & go everywhere on the main island and in the lagoon. 

Edited by Grandma Cruising

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When we used the people mover the one ticket included the vaporetto as long as it was within 75 minutes of starting using the people mover ticket. It is also quite easy to walk from Piazzale Roma to San Marco and other areas.

11 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

There IS a vaporetto service from "Fusina" to Venice, but it is generally NOT accessible from the Fusina cruise port (you aren't allowed to walk through the truck/boat storage areas and campground between the cruise dock and the vaporetto dock.

I think I have heard of some cruise lines arranging a private tender service directly to Venice from their ship while in Fusina, but I think that was for a cruise that didn't start/end in Fusina.  

Awkward it may be but that is the procedure used by Azamara.

I embarked and disembarked at Fusina 6 weeks ago so my information is current.

The ONLY transportation to and from Fusina Is by the Port authority bus.

• Thanks 1

So if I’m understanding the port authority has shuttles to move you out the the dock area and drops you in Venice? At the old port? Are the port authority buses running only at certain times per ship schedule?

We did plan on only seeing Doge’s Palace and San Mark’s Basilica, this trip. I think that’ll be all we have time for. It shows docked between 6a to 6pm but we need to be back on board by 4pm and I’m sure buses won’t start at 6am. So logistically I’m not even sure it’ll be possible. We really wanted to get into Venice but maybe it’ll have to wait until next trip.

Thanks all for the replies! It really is appreciated. 😊

5 minutes ago, Wipammy said:

So if I’m understanding the port authority has shuttles to move you out the the dock area and drops you in Venice? At the old port? Are the port authority buses running only at certain times per ship schedule?

We did plan on only seeing Doge’s Palace and San Mark’s Basilica, this trip. I think that’ll be all we have time for. It shows docked between 6a to 6pm but we need to be back on board by 4pm and I’m sure buses won’t start at 6am. So logistically I’m not even sure it’ll be possible. We really wanted to get into Venice but maybe it’ll have to wait until next trip.

Thanks all for the replies! It really is appreciated. 😊

You should definitely be able to do those two things in the time frame.

To avoid agita (and long lines), book a guided tour.  Here's one from a company I have used before and trust:

https://www.walksofitaly.com/venice-tours/legendary-venice-st-marks-basilica-tours/

they have tours starting at 8 am (St. Marks before it opens, but maybe risky for you) and 9:30 am (safe start, finishes Doge's Palace at 12:30 pm so you even have time to walk around before heading back to the ship).

Oh thanks so much!  I was on that company’s website last night. Yes, I would have loved to do the earlier tour but not knowing what time we can actually get off the ship I didn’t want to book that early. I hate to wait until we are onboard because we are entering high season and I always love having a knowledgeable guide and their tours seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I’m glad to know we should be able to do at least one thing. 😊😊😊 and better yet both.  👍😊👍 

3 hours ago, Wipammy said:

Oh thanks so much!  I was on that company’s website last night. Yes, I would have loved to do the earlier tour but not knowing what time we can actually get off the ship I didn’t want to book that early. I hate to wait until we are onboard because we are entering high season and I always love having a knowledgeable guide and their tours seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I’m glad to know we should be able to do at least one thing. 😊😊😊 and better yet both.  👍😊👍 

For the Doge’s palace the best tour is the Secret Itineraries tour.It takes you behind the scenes - really great. You can book it direct with the palace https://www.venice-museum.com/secret-itineraries-doge-palace.php

8 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

For the Doge’s palace the best tour is the Secret Itineraries tour.It takes you behind the scenes - really great. You can book it direct with the palace https://www.venice-museum.com/secret-itineraries-doge-palace.php

Thanks 😊 and it looks like my daughter gets a reduced rate she’s under 25 👍👍 

On 6/7/2024 at 4:11 PM, Laganlady02 said:

Awkward it may be but that is the procedure used by Azamara.

I embarked and disembarked at Fusina 6 weeks ago so my information is current.

The ONLY transportation to and from Fusina Is by the Port authority bus.

If you  are arriving  to the areas where the bus departs what is the best way to get there.  We are staying at the Hilton which is on Guideca right across from the Grand Canal.  We don’t mind taking a private water taxi if that is the best way.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 5:19 PM, roberts2005 said:

If you  are arriving  to the areas where the bus departs what is the best way to get there.  We are staying at the Hilton which is on Guideca right across from the Grand Canal.  We don’t mind taking a private water taxi if that is the best way.

The bus departs from Maritima which is also where you will leave your luggage and be given a numbered sticker.

We stayed the night before at a hotel on Piazzale Roma which was beside the People Mover. We got the People Mover and one stop later you are at Maritima, very quick and easy. The cost is 1.5 euro per person.

Coming from your hotel you would get the vaporetto from San Marco to Piazzale Roma, then walk across the square to the People Mover, and it is one stop as described above. The combined cost for this is 9.5 euro per person if the journey is completed in 75 minutes (which it would be). I think your hotel provides a shuttle to San Marco.

Alternatively you could take a private water taxi to Maritima, however I do not know the approximate cost for this.

• Like 2