Zaandam in Juneau Harbour on June 7, 2024

ms Zaandam will be at CT dock from 1:30 pm to 10:00 pm, and she is on a 7 day Alaska Inside Passage

image.jpeg.a02b1be7826f054010b56c4129fe26c2.jpeg

Also in port is Disney Wonder at AJD dock (6:00 am to 5:00 pm), Carrnival Miracle at FKL dock (10:00 am to 10:00 pm), and Quantum of the Seas at AS dock 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm)

The PTZtv webcam can be found at https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

Next up:  Eurodam and Koningsdam on Monday, June 10, 2024

Leanne

• Thanks 1

Traveler outbound Juneau passing Quantum OTS "port to port" Great communication letting both vessels know what the other's intentions are so there is no confusion and a chance of potential problems!

image.thumb.png.dda392e0b22872c606627e28c9512878.png

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Traveler outbound Juneau passing Quantum OTS "port to port" Great communication letting both vessels know what the other's intentions are so there is no confusion and a chance of potential problems!

image.thumb.png.dda392e0b22872c606627e28c9512878.png

By rules/etiquette of the water - who job is it to communicate first?. The more maneuverable small vessel or the large ship who is really stuck in one path?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

By rules/etiquette of the water - who job is it to communicate first?. The more maneuverable small vessel or the large ship who is really stuck in one path?

It's been my experience from doing a lot of "hanging around" on the bridge during my working days (because that stuff intrigues me) the large ship (either pilot, captain or OOW) usually initiates the contact with the smaller approaching ship making sure both know what the other vessel's intentions are, especially on which side the passing will take place (port to port, starboard to starboard, etc) 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

I known about the city that Zaandam is named after - I've been to Zaanse Schans several times. No idea on how many previous Zaandams there have been.

So yes, correctamundo! Zaandam is named after a pretty city located on the river Zaan north of Amsterdam. And yes, the "Zaanse Schans" working windmills is a major tourist attraction!

The current Zaandam is the third ship in HAL's long history that bears the name of that city

Zaandam I ((1882-1897)

Zaandam II (1938-1942)

Zaandam III (2000-present)

Windmills at the Zaanse Schans north of Zaandam in 2007

Zaandam downtown

De Sint Bonifatiuskerk

Holland America Line - Zaandam I.jpg

Holland America Line - Zaandam II.jpg

Holland America Line - Zaandam III (after Gym expansion).jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

According to the tracker [which is always a little behind] Zaandam should just about be out of sight.

About to take her berth in between Quantum and Miracle, out of view, out of mind