Was it a GEM? Boston to Bermuda and Bar Harbor 5/31/24 - 6/8/24

2 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

On each of our recent cruises, when we stopped by the Cruise Next desk on embarkation day to sign up for Latitudes benefits, we were told that they would not be offering the Sail and Sustain Mixology Experience because there were only two Diamond Latitudes members on the ship's manifest and no Ambassadors.  We were the two Diamonds, hence the senior Latitudes members on board those cruises.  We usually travel in a Balcony stateroom.  We haven't sailed in a Suite or the Haven since before COVID.  I also have volunteered to coordinate the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on several of our recent cruises, so the GM and the Group Coordinator usually look me up on embarkation day to check on arrangements for the M&G.

I guess each cruisers' experiences highlight how differently things might happen from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. Most of our NCL cruises have been great, so last week's was likely just "one off" for us.

• Like 3

Just now, ggTexasGal said:

I guess each cruisers' experiences highlight how differently things might happen from ship to ship and cruise to cruise. Most of our NCL cruises have been great, so last week's was likely just "one off" for us.

I think that most frequent cruisers have had one of those.  I know that we have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Perhaps the other Diamonds were more actively assertive than we were.

But, I believe it was much more likely that since we were not in a suite, nor mini-suite, and don't live near Boston (so, unlikely to be cruising the Gem again anytime soon) we were not on their special guests list. 🤣

Being in a suite doesn't even help with the table assignment.  We are Diamond, sail in the Haven and make our reservations 130 days out.  Even with that we always seem to be given the worst table in the restaurant.  I usually don't say anything, but one time we were practically in the kitchen and I finally asked to speak to the Manager who did finally move us, but by then we just couldn't enjoy the meal.  Definitely a pet peeve of mine that Diamond Latitudes are not given any priority.  I mean there's already a reservation, how hard is it to just hold one of the better tables.  And we usually eat early when it's not very crowded.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Being in a suite doesn't even help with the table assignment.  We are Diamond, sail in the Haven and make our reservations 130 days out.  Even with that we always seem to be given the worst table in the restaurant.  I usually don't say anything, but one time we were practically in the kitchen and I finally asked to speak to the Manager who did finally move us, but by then we just couldn't enjoy the meal.  Definitely a pet peeve of mine that Diamond Latitudes are not given any priority.  I mean there's already a reservation, how hard is it to just hold one of the better tables.  And we usually eat early when it's not very crowded.

I'm sorry that has also happened to you!!! 🙄 Thank you for replying with your experiences. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Not that Latitudes status guarantees preferences in restaurants, but on the Gem we were disappointed with where we were seated in restaurants (without being allowed our preference when requested). My point being that they definitely should know your status when using the Latitudes Dining Package, and we were some of the first diners in line when the restaurant opened. 

I agree with you. It says the status right on the cruise card. It is frustrating that it is promised on the Latitudes benefits but we have had the same thing happen.  We don't usually say anything. 

We tend to get assigned to better tables if DH has had a chance to tell bad jokes to the host/hostess to make them laugh. Then the next time we return, somehow they remember his name and give us a good table such as a window one. But otherwise, we get random table assignments.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Not that Latitudes status guarantees preferences in restaurants, but on the Gem we were disappointed with where we were seated in restaurants (without being allowed our preference when requested). My point being that they definitely should know your status when using the Latitudes Dining Package, and we were some of the first diners in line when the restaurant opened.  It was odd and disappointing that they weren't more open to changing our table location, without a reasonable explanation.  If we had been in a suite, I imagine things would have been very different, but we weren't!

We did NOT attend Mixology on this cruise.  DH does not care for those very sugary drinks, and I didn't want to go alone.  Funny thing about our previous mixology classes... first time cancelled by NCL.  Second time only DH and I attended. Third time, in February 2024, on the PRIMA, we were joined by the singular Diamond member on that cruise (and were very happily surprised -- we had met her originally back in 2017).

The Latitudes party was typical neither great, nor bad!  We had Wines Around the World booked, but missed it (don't recall the reason).  We have toured the Gem before a few times, so, we also skipped that.

Right now, we have the PRIMA booked in January 2025.

Thanks for your sharing your review!  We haven't sailed out of Boston for a few years, but we love staying in the Seaport area and then walking to the port.   

We usually sign up for Mixology since we have had some great experiences talking with other Diamond/Ambassador cruisers in a fun setting.  We once had a very fun group of ten.  However, like you, we have twice been the only two who showed up.  Had a great time with our very own bartender Bong😊  Absolutely loved chatting with him during our 'private' Mixology session.

I read somewhere here on CC that a cruiser was told they will be updating/changing a couple of the Sail & Sustain drinks.   I'm willing to give them a try 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Well on this trip we were in Haven and being tracked since we were always given window and usually had someone come over to ask how things were. Perhaps we were lucky. We have no status with NCL so it wasn't because of that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

Well on this trip we were in Haven and being tracked since we were always given window and usually had someone come over to ask how things were. Perhaps we were lucky. We have no status with NCL so it wasn't because of that.

Glad it worked for you.  That's also a problem as there is no consistency.  I guess a lot depends on the staff onboard.  We just never seem to have much luck.  I've even asked the Concierge if he could request a window table for us but didn't have much success with that.  My DH always joked that he felt like we were always put at the "Kiddie table".  Lol!  Sometimes you just have to laugh about this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

I agree with you. It says the status right on the cruise card. It is frustrating that it is promised on the Latitudes benefits but we have had the same thing happen.  We don't usually say anything. 

We tend to get assigned to better tables if DH has had a chance to tell bad jokes to the host/hostess to make them laugh. Then the next time we return, somehow they remember his name and give us a good table such as a window one. But otherwise, we get random table assignments.

Great advice!  I'll let DH loose on the crew with bad Dad jokes!🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Deep68 said:

Thanks for the review.

We are sailed on 7/5.

Can you advise what time they the self debarkation started and how long it took?

Thank You

We were in the Haven, but the non-suites were running parallel:

(1) They started allowing folks to go through security (outside) at 10AM. There was a Haven and non-suite line. In the Haven we went through a separate security line and registration line but again, the non-suites folks were just parallel in the process.

(2) The first Haven group was let on the ship just before 11AM. There was a large group of non-suite folks waiting to board so processing appeared to be going smoothly. ggTexasGal would have to tell you when general boarding started. 

Edited by slidemaster5
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

(1) They started allowing folks to go through security (outside) at 10AM. There was a Haven and non-suite line. In the Haven we went through a separate security line and registration line but again, the non-suites folks were just parallel in the process.

(2) The first Haven group was let on the ship just before 11AM. There was a large group of non-suite folks waiting to board so processing appeared to be going smoothly. ggTexasGal would have to tell you when general boarding started. 

The poster asked about self debarkation, not embarkation.

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The poster asked about self debarkation, not embarkation.

Thanks for correcting me.

They allowed self-debarkation from 8-8:30 for those who wanted to walk off with their luggage. As far as I know this was on time. We left our luggage outside the night before and they let the Haven folks walk off shortly after 8:30 mixed in with Group 1 of general debarkation. 

On 6/10/2024 at 8:43 PM, disneynan said:

Thank you so much for this trip report! I am sailing on the Gem this Friday and soooo excited. 

Can you tell me if there were any theme nights? We are a group of 17 and most of us would love to dress up for them. I find it odd that NCL doesn’t let you know ahead of time because how can you pack for them if you don’t know what they will be?

Also, how did you find the ocean temperature in Bermuda? We’re also doing St Georges by ferry and then Horseshoe Bay by bus. We plan to walk to some of the other Southern beaches as well and are bringing our snorkel gear. 

We are on the Friday 6/14 sailing as well - our 5th on the Gem and we are just so excited. 

She's not the biggest, fanciest or most "wow" factor ship - but just a lovely, well-laid out and (to us) perfectly-sized ship.

Plus, it's an excuse to go visit Boston again - we used to live in Cape Cod and now in Orlando, we miss our Sox (and yes...hoping to grab tickets Thursday night when we fly in). 

We lived in Bermuda for years, so for us it's incredibly bittersweet to go back and visit with friends as well. 

I know you and your entire group will have a wonderful time!

Thank you @ggTexasGal for the review!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Deep68 said:

Thanks for the review.

We are sailed on 7/5.

Can you advise what time they the self debarkation started and how long it took?

Thank You

We got into the line about 40-45 minutes before the announcement was made.  The announcement was right around 8am.  We were in a taxi around 8:10, heading to the airport!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slidemaster5 said:

Wow, so they were not allowing people into the cruise terminal until 10am?

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Do you remember what time is was for Haven / Suites? We are in a suite and don't want to get there too early only to stand around outside 

Thanks

I am sorry, I don't recall noticing! It wasn't bad for us, because we were in a shaded area.

Also, compared to the heat in Houston, Boston felt cool, and luckily, it was not raining.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deep68 said:

Sorry additional question.

We will also be staying at the Homewood Suites.

How far a walk was it from the silver line bus stop?

It is approximately a half mile walk.

From the Silver Line Way drop-off area, take Silver Line Way to D Street (turn left), to Summer Street (turn left) continue to Homewood Suites.

12 hours ago, amygutman said:

We are on the Friday 6/14 sailing as well - our 5th on the Gem and we are just so excited. 

She's not the biggest, fanciest or most "wow" factor ship - but just a lovely, well-laid out and (to us) perfectly-sized ship.

Plus, it's an excuse to go visit Boston again - we used to live in Cape Cod and now in Orlando, we miss our Sox (and yes...hoping to grab tickets Thursday night when we fly in). 

We lived in Bermuda for years, so for us it's incredibly bittersweet to go back and visit with friends as well. 

I know you and your entire group will have a wonderful time!

Thank you @ggTexasGal for the review!

We'll be on that sailing with you!  We live in central NH so no having to fly in for us.  Not our first NCL cruise, but first time on the Gem and are looking forward to it.  We're cruising with a group of 10 and we always have a good time, so I don't expect this trip will be any different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Do you remember what time is was for Haven / Suites? We are in a suite and don't want to get there too early only to stand around outside 

Thanks

It was 10AM for all. The Haven/Suites line was just to the left of the main line. There was a sign for it. We were in Moderno's just before 11AM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

It is approximately a half mile walk.

From the Silver Line Way drop-off area, take Silver Line Way to D Street (turn left), to Summer Street (turn left) continue to Homewood Suites.

Thanks. We will have a medium size suitcase each but this sounds doable. Always like to take public transport whenever possible.

• Like 1