help a newbie book his next cruise

Barsoap

I have just spent about an hour reading this board and im no closer to putting it (sale pricing ,BoB, price drops,etc.) all together , if anything im more confused. My wife and I , are past final payment on, Riviera, in October , PH1, Athens to Trieste. Our first cruise since we tried it and didnt like it in the late 80S. I know ! a lot has changed. We travel a lot,always independently, international , A couple a times a year.So after a couple of less than perfect trips we decided to try doing it differently  hence the cruise. haven't even been on the first one yet and im looking to do it again crazy,,! but its not entirely my fault. Every day there is something, booklet , mailer ,card in my mail box from O, Most of the time it doesnt get a second look as were booked.but the last on 4 category up whatever caught me, and i understand the hype ,someone here said its marketing to move less than desirable itineraries. also that its lower pricing on higher tier cabins, whatever anyway this booklet  med 2025 voyages page 12  tenerife to lisbon caught my eye  10 days  9 ports 1 sea day 1 overnight only one place listed i ahve been to  so pretty good itinerary for what we like to do  and whats more its on a freshened up  Marina , at the time of year we usually travel, so score. the cost is 6399 with free upgrade in ph1  which is exactly what the current cruise cost when i booked back in November on some kind of sale. with all that said asking advice for booking the Tenerife to Lisbon trip during this sale period or wait til im on board in October to gain a few xtra bucks thru maybe price drop  and bob discount  Ive read the thread here and im aware of the small % but then im running the risk of the ph's being sold out

It’s my understanding from others posts here that they have been able to get the discounts on booked cruises when the price drops-or they get OBC, etc.

I also have seen posted that ones TA stays on top of the change in prices and can help secure a better price or perks etc. That said- I don’t know about the small print on the 4 level cabin increase promotion. Maybe with that special no changes are allowed. Write down your questions and call Oceania- also your TA for answers.

All that said however, you listed so many pluses for booking this cruise- with the added benefit of being in a PH- I say go for it!! It seems to fit what you want and it sounds like a fabulous cruise!!

2 hours ago, Barsoap said:

I have just spent about an hour reading this board and im no closer to putting it (sale pricing ,BoB, price drops,etc.) all together , if anything im more confused. My wife and I , are past final payment on, Riviera, in October , PH1, Athens to Trieste. Our first cruise since we tried it and didnt like it in the late 80S. I know ! a lot has changed. We travel a lot,always independently, international , A couple a times a year.So after a couple of less than perfect trips we decided to try doing it differently  hence the cruise. haven't even been on the first one yet and im looking to do it again crazy,,! but its not entirely my fault. Every day there is something, booklet , mailer ,card in my mail box from O, Most of the time it doesnt get a second look as were booked.but the last on 4 category up whatever caught me, and i understand the hype ,someone here said its marketing to move less than desirable itineraries. also that its lower pricing on higher tier cabins, whatever anyway this booklet  med 2025 voyages page 12  tenerife to lisbon caught my eye  10 days  9 ports 1 sea day 1 overnight only one place listed i ahve been to  so pretty good itinerary for what we like to do  and whats more its on a freshened up  Marina , at the time of year we usually travel, so score. the cost is 6399 with free upgrade in ph1  which is exactly what the current cruise cost when i booked back in November on some kind of sale. with all that said asking advice for booking the Tenerife to Lisbon trip during this sale period or wait til im on board in October to gain a few xtra bucks thru maybe price drop  and bob discount  Ive read the thread here and im aware of the small % but then im running the risk of the ph's being sold out

@Barsoap I tend to do a lot of research.  I am NO expert and my first Oceania Cruise was November 2023.  My next one booked on the ship is October 2025.  Please comment on your thread, exaction what you want to know.  Break down your questions and make them as specific as possible.  I and others will look at the questions and do our best to help you.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

@Barsoap

IMHO, while waiting for Gary and all the other O cruise vets to guide you, call Oceania NOW and tell the Rep the cruise you want and grab the best available PH room and have them put it on a 5 day Hold ASAP. Most important you will have the room and pricing and 5 days to decide if you want to put down the Deposit. You are not out anything 👍😇💰

After you have done this, then post all your questions and you will be inundated with “Words of Wisdom”. The O Rep will also answer your questions as well. 
Mauibabes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You have two weeks after you get the cruise to transfer your booking to a cruise travel agent. They often have offers above and beyond what O will offer. We cannot name travel agents on Cruise Critic but I'd wager some of the O booklets are sent by travel agents. There are basically three layers of travel agents - Connoisseur, Preferred and everyone else. Some, but not all, are available with a google search. The Connisseur and Preferred agents generally have the best pricing and perks.

As far as waiting to book...If you have a cabin category you prefer and that cabin is in limited supply then do not wait for October.  

Come back any time. There are posters who are more than willing to help.

I booked this cruise back in March and have just had the price reduced because of the upgrade sale.

If you want a particular cabin I would suggest you book it now. There’s no guarantee that it will be available in 4 months time.

I agree book what you want within your budget.  We always book early to get the cabin/suite we want before it's gone.  Once you book, sit back and relax-let your TA do their job.  Of course you'll check the "0" website every so offer.

5 hours ago, Vallesan said:

If you want a particular cabin I would suggest you book it now.

Agree with this. We were recently on Vista which, as regulars here know, has had lots of reports of soundproofing issues between cabins. Fortunately, we had none. So, we took advantage of booking our next cruise whilst onboard, securing the same cabin and getting the onboard discount. We keep our fingers crossed that the cabin itself had no issues and it wasnt just a matter that we had very quiet neighbours.