2 Nights NYC Pre-Cruise. Best Place to Stay

Just booked a cruise at the end of August and we are going to fly in the Thursday before for 2 nights. Things we really want to see are the WTC and 9-11 Memorial/Museum, Times Square, Intrepid Museum and possibly the Big Bus HOHO bus tour. Really debating where we want to stay. We are in our 50's and not so much into the night life scene like we used to be. Times Square area hotels are pretty pricey for those nights, while I can get a hotel across from the 9-11 Memorial for a fair amount less and the subway is right across the road. Not so concerned about proximity to the port for Saturday morning, I have read of some people saying so and so hotels are an easy walk to the port and we won't be schlepping our luggage down the city streets lol. Also undecided on flights yet, not that I think which airport we fly into plays into where we stay as they will all be costly to get to whichever hotel. 

Any thoughts or recommendations from the experienced people here? The 2 hotels that have caught my eye so far are The Millenium near WTC and the Knickerbocker at Times Square (literally at the corner where the New Years Ball is).

We are in NYC frequently. We stay at the Courtyard/Residence Inn at 54th and Broadway (1717 Broadway.) It is an easy walk to Time's Square, Central Park and a subway station to get to the WTC. We have also walked over to the Intrepid. The staff are very helpful in arranging transportation. You can see the New Year's Ball from some of the rooms. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DanJ said:

Really debating where we want to stay. We are in our 50's and not so much into the night life scene like we used to be. Times Square area hotels are pretty pricey for those nights, while I can get a hotel across from the 9-11 Memorial for a fair amount less and the subway is right across the road.

Times Square is busy, touristy, and one of my least favorite parts of town and it can be expensive. On the flip side the Financial District where the Millennium is less expensive but you can find yourself in a fairly barren landscape at night and on the weekends that isn't nearly as vibrant and fun as other parts of New York (not necessarily nightlife, but amount of restaurants, bars, etc). 

I would tell you to maybe look at Midtown East as an option. It will still be a bit more expensive than Lower Manhattan but it is a much nicer place compared to Times Square to walk around and experience New York. 

• Like 1

I definitely prefer midtown close to Times Square , more things in walking distance, I would definitely take a taxi or Uber to ship even if distance is a half of mile . I love hotel michealanglo which is not cheap but huge rooms and perfect location 51 st and 7 ave, short walk to broadway, Central Park , Rockefeller center , loads of restaurants. We enjoyed going to Intrepid also.

When we lived in Boston we went to NYC most long weekends.  For years we stayed in or near Times Square as we revolve our visits around Broadway Shows.  For the last 10 years we've stayed in TriBeCa, down in the lower part of Manhattan.  Great subway access to midtown but so much quieter, with great restaurants and close walks to either river.  Quite close to the 9/11 Memorial, etc, but only 20 minutes by subway to midtown

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did end up booking Michelangelo. Looks easily walkable even for us with our bad knees and hip to get to Central Park, Rockefeller Centre, Paley Centre and around Times Square, which are some of things we want to see. Planning to also buy a Big Bus or Top View hop on  hop off pass.

Got a junior suite for 12 bucks more than a studio, so went with that, for a bit of a splurge. I like that the rooms are large and with 2 nights there, I like a hotel room that has a place for 2 people to sit, rather than just laying on the bed. 

• Like 2