Is The Gem Still A Gem? Almost live... 6-28-2024 sailing

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Laszlo was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Is The Gem Still A Gem? Almost live.... sort of, maybe live, will see......       6-28-2024 sailing 

Thought I would get this rolling along. 16 days out from our Gem sailing to Bermuda from Boston. This is our 4th time sailing on the Gem, first time sailing out of Boston. It would be a lot more convenient sailing out of NYC since we are less than 2 hours from the pier but we really wanted to sail on a Jewel class ship. When I booked last October? we were supposed to stop in Bar Harbor which we love, it was going to be the 4th of July in Bar Harbor. However 6-7 weeks ago that changed when the town announced they would be using the tender pier as a place to launch fireworks. So we are going to Portland. I would prefer to stay in Bermuda for an extra day but thats not feasible. 

Will be driving up on Thursday from the Philly Burbs and having dinner with my son's fiancés parents who live outside of Boston. Bright and early Friday morning will drive to the port where I reserved a parking spot very close to the ship. We are sailing with friends from Montreal, this will be our 3rd cruise with them. They are in a mini suite on deck 10 and we are in a forward suite on the same deck. I'm excited for them since they have never been to Bermuda, we have been there 4 times in the past. Our plans.... do very little. Like I said we are in a forward suite, I also got Thermal Spa Passes just in case the weather isn't great. Day 1 and 2 in Bermuda will be spent on the beach, day three will be spent on a rental boat. I suggested to our friends for the first day take a 5-6 hour private tour of the island which they are doing. They will come to the beach with us and also on the boat.

Not sure how live it will be but I will be taking photos of the dailies in case anyone wants to see them, I'll most likely upload them after the cruise

I plan to do a video tour of our cabin and the spa since good ones are few and far between. I hope to have lots of underwater footage along with some aerial footage. If anyone is looking for anything in particular let me know and I will try to get it

I've read great and lousy reviews on the Gem, cutbacks on service and food. It will be interesting to see what is what.

NCL GEM.jpg

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 9

• Laszlo changed the title to Is The Gem Still A Gem? Almost live... 6-28-2024 sailing

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I remember your name always popping up for those much needed NYC getaways mid winter.  Remember when they used to run 12 and 14 night cruises on a regular basis?

Sounds like you've got plans pretty well nailed down so wishing you great weather and smooth seas.  Enjoy your time with your friends!  Looking forward to your posts, whether live or not.

Gem brings back great memories!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snorklinbarb said:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I remember your name always popping up for those much needed NYC getaways mid winter.  Remember when they used to run 12 and 14 night cruises on a regular basis?

Sounds like you've got plans pretty well nailed down so wishing you great weather and smooth seas.  Enjoy your time with your friends!  Looking forward to your posts, whether live or not.

Gem brings back great memories!

Thank you, we did a 14 on the BA and a 12 on the GA. I miss those cruises 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Is The Gem Still A Gem? Almost live.... sort of, maybe live, will see......       6-28-2024 sailing 

Thought I would get this rolling along. 16 days out from our Gem sailing to Bermuda from Boston. This is our 4th time sailing on the Gem, first time sailing out of Boston. It would be a lot more convenient sailing out of NYC since we are less than 2 hours from the pier but we really wanted to sail on a Jewel class ship. When I booked last October? we were supposed to stop in Bar Harbor which we love, it was going to be the 4th of July in Bar Harbor. However 6-7 weeks ago that changed when the town announced they would be using the tender pier as a place to launch fireworks. So we are going to Portland. I would prefer to stay in Bermuda for an extra day but thats not feasible. 

Will be driving up on Thursday from the Philly Burbs and having dinner with my son's fiancés parents who live outside of Boston. Bright and early Friday morning will drive to the port where I reserved a parking spot very close to the ship. We are sailing with friends from Montreal, this will be our 3rd cruise with them. They are in a mini suite on deck 10 and we are in a forward suite on the same deck. I'm excited for them since they have never been to Bermuda, we have been there 4 times in the past. Our plans.... do very little. Like I said we are in a forward suite, I also got Thermal Spa Passes just in case the weather isn't great. Day 1 and 2 in Bermuda will be spent on the beach, day three will be spent on a rental boat. I suggested to our friends for the first day take a 5-6 hour private tour of the island which they are doing. They will come to the beach with us and also on the boat.

Not sure how live it will be but I will be taking photos of the dailies in case anyone wants to see them, I'll most likely upload them after the cruise

I plan to do a video tour of our cabin and the spa since good ones are few and far between. I hope to have lots of underwater footage along with some aerial footage. If anyone is looking for anything in particular let me know and I will try to get it

I've read great and lousy reviews on the Gem, cutbacks on service and food. It will be interesting to see what is what.

NCL GEM.jpg

@Laszlo I am SO EXCITED to read this - my family is getting on when you are getting off, so this is just an amazing appetizer for us. 

Have a wonderful time...and as a former Portlander, have an amazing time! The fireworks display was epic in the past!

Warmest Amy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, amygutman said:

@Laszlo I am SO EXCITED to read this - my family is getting on when you are getting off, so this is just an amazing appetizer for us. 

Have a wonderful time...and as a former Portlander, have an amazing time! The fireworks display was epic in the past!

Warmest Amy

Thank you, unfortunately we leave at 5:00pm so we will miss them. I thinking if we are close enough to land we might see them from Ogunquit

• Like 1

For anyone who has done this cruise this year feel free to chime in as to what time the cruise Terminal opened up on departure day. We like arriving early but I don't want to stand around outside. I've seen its been 10am, maybe earlier? In NYC its always 9am

On 6/13/2024 at 9:46 AM, Laszlo said:

For anyone who has done this cruise this year feel free to chime in as to what time the cruise Terminal opened up on departure day. We like arriving early but I don't want to stand around outside. I've seen its been 10am, maybe earlier? In NYC its always 9am

I think you were on the Gem thread but just in case: I was on the May 31 to June 7 ailing and it opened at 10AM for both Haven and non-Haven. The outside security told us they would start at 10AM and they were prompt.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 2:46 PM, Laszlo said:

As I said on another thread, we turned up at 1005 on the 31st May sailing and people were already being checked in.

We were on the Gem before 1035, so less than 30 mins processing.

Edited by redlock
  • Like 1

I was on this ship in May. Yes, they generally open to send people upstairs to check in at 10AM promptly. (I work there lol) The food on my sailing was not good at all unfortunately. Even the steak in the main dining room was tough and cold. Cold food was the theme of this cruise for and I wasn't the only one saying it. Just to let you know the chicken wings are baked now not fried. What is THAT about?! Service was good, bartenders were good. I'm always happy just being on a ship.

I was on this cruise in May also, got there at 11, very short security line and right to the checkin desk. On the ship at 1130 having lunch at o'sheenens. I've done this trip a dozen times and are sapphire lattitudes members, but others seemed to get on just as fast. Best boarding in Boston yet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@Laszlo Thanks for doing this, we will be sailing the Gem in late August, B2B. Looking forward to the " Almost Live "

Jim

Nice! My goal is to one day to a B2B..... just have to convince my wife Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Nice! My goal is to one day to a B2B..... just have to convince my wife Lol

Our first was on the Viva, Rome to Miami last year.. 21 days. With NCL pushing shorter cruises, B2B is the only option without a repositioning or Transatlantic cruise.

Jim

• Like 2

i was on Gem boston to Bermuda May 31st, it was my 3rd or 4th time on her.  i had a forward facing penthouse, it was uhhhmazing.   dont miss the whitney houston hologram show!  very cool, and its brand new!

• Like 1

Just now, BostonGal35 said:

i was on Gem boston to Bermuda May 31st, it was my 3rd or 4th time on her.  i had a forward facing penthouse, it was uhhhmazing.   dont miss the whitney houston hologram show!  very cool, and its brand new!

Thanks, we are looking forward to the forward suite. I'm not much of a fan of Whitney. I've good and bad things about the show

• Like 1

i was in 9006.  the balcony was HUGE.   two full size loungers, 2 chairs and 2 small drink tables.   and its under the deck 10 eave, so you can get shade if you want it or full sun.   omg heaven, i would absolutely book that cabin again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BostonGal35 said:

i was in 9006.  the balcony was HUGE.   two full size loungers, 2 chairs and 2 small drink tables.   and its under the deck 10 eave, so you can get shade if you want it or full sun.   omg heaven, i would absolutely book that cabin again.

9006? Thats a balcony cabin on the starboard side

13 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

As of now, weather up here and in Hamilton will be 80ish by end of week so you are off to a great start.

Looking forward to the cooler temps at the end of the week. We are headed to Boston on Wednesday