Is The Gem Still A Gem? Almost live... 6-28-2024 sailing

On 6/25/2024 at 3:52 PM, Laszlo said:

This is an extra special cruise for me and literally couldn't come at a better time. I met with my Oncologist earlier this afternoon and he said with my numbers I can consider myself cancer free. Lots of stress and anxiety over the last 8 months, I'm glad that ride is over

Great news, and have a great cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Waking up to a beautiful sunny 55 degrees in Burlington Ma. Will be headed over to the cruise port around 9am

Did you park at the cruise terminal? If so, what time did they open? Their website says 10 but what if we have an earlier check in time?  I’m going to make a reservation online. We are sailing in August. Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AmbitionatBay said:

Did you park at the cruise terminal? If so, what time did they open? Their website says 10 but what if we have an earlier check in time?  I’m going to make a reservation online. We are sailing in August. Thanks for any info.

We arrived at 9am, they were open before that. The terminal did not open until 10am. We were thru security and in the Haven lounge by 10:15 and we boarded at 10:45

• Like 1

My SIL and her family are on this cruise right now. I hope they are having a good time. They’ve only cruised NCL once before. This was on the POA in 2018. They were turned off from cruising after that cruise because their toilets (they were in a 2 bedroom suite) repeatedly stopped working. Someone in a nearby cabin was obviously flushing something other than the three P’s down their toilet. Someone had to come multiple times a day to clear the plumbing. 

This was in the daily on my February Escape cruise. They need to put this on a very prominent sign by each toilet on each ship. 

IMG_7130.jpeg

• Like 1

Overall the Gem is still looking pretty good. She was redone two? years ago. Furniture coverings and carpet look good but the original??? built in dark furniture is looking worn and dated

Our butler Jose is doing a good job, we only asked for cheese and crackers as an afternoon snack, I laughed out loud the first time I walked into the cabin. Sitting there was a big ball of peanut M&M’s, the one thing I specifically said please do not give us Lol…..they are still there

He is the butler to 14 cabins, deck 9, 10 forward and aft and some cabins on 13?

Internet overall is ok, last night was just about useless, today at 6 am was pretty quick. Lots or teens on this cruise, I thing the most I have ever seen

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations! nothing like hearing from your oncologist that you are cancer free.  Also want to thank you for this thread.  We will be spending Christmas and New Year on the Gem (just booked) and looking forward to reading about the ship and seeing your photos.  

• Like 1

Whoever said it was too windy on sea days to be on the balcony is wrong. The way the deck is sloped the wind goes right above your right, we are sailing at 22 knots with a 18 knot headwind and sitting here near the railing I’m getting a slight breeze 

IMG_7843.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

He is the butler to 14 cabins, deck 9, 10 forward and aft and some cabins on 13?

14?!?  What's the point of a butler with that type of ratio. Not time to do more than act as a room service attendant. Poor guy, just a couple demanding cabins and he is stretched way too thin. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, havoc315 said:

14?!?  What's the point of a butler with that type of ratio. Not time to do more than act as a room service attendant. Poor guy, just a couple demanding cabins and he is stretched way too thin. 

Yea it’s crazy, our room steward has 18 cabins, 6 are suites

A gorgeous day on the beach, water temps are running 82 - 84 per my Apple Watch. We docked and were off the ship on a $7pp van and on the beach by 10:30am. Next two days will be doing taxis. Not posting any photos until we get back or at least hit Portland on Thursday.internet is painfully slow on my phone and lap top.

I wanted to mention something about strawberries, I had read that NCL had cut back on chocolate covered strawberries, making them halves no whole. Our the last three days have been whole, maybe it’s a suite or Haven thing

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Yea it’s crazy, our room steward has 18 cabins, 6 are suites

A gorgeous day on the beach, water temps are running 82 - 84 per my Apple Watch. We docked and were off the ship on a $7pp van and on the beach by 10:30am. Next two days will be doing taxis. Not posting any photos until we get back or at least hit Portland on Thursday.internet is painfully slow on my phone and lap top.

I wanted to mention something about strawberries, I had read that NCL had cut back on chocolate covered strawberries, making them halves no whole. Our the last three days have been whole, maybe it’s a suite or Haven thing

Making chocolate covered strawberries with cut strawberries would be more difficult because the strawberries need to be dry for the chocolate to adhere. Plus, I think the chocolate is more expensive than the strawberries, so halves would be more expensive than wholes because your chocolate to strawberry ratio would be higher, not to mention the additional labor cost of slicing the berries in half. I’ve never received halves. 

• Like 1

So one of the perks for being in a suite on the Gem is breakfast in Moderno if you choose. I have to say the selection at the buffet and what is on the menu is very good. I think it’s hidden gem no pun intended. We have been in here at both 7am and 8:30am and it’s been us and maybe a half dozen other people at the most

Morning is starting out wonderful, heading to Warwick Long Bay soon

IMG_7962.jpeg

IMG_7963.jpeg

IMG_7960.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7958.jpeg

IMG_7857.jpeg

IMG_7856.jpeg

IMG_7855.jpeg

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

So one of the perks for being in a suite on the Gem is breakfast in Moderno if you choose. I have to say the selection at the buffet and what is on the menu is very good. I think it’s hidden gem no pun intended. We have been in here at both 7am and 8:30am and it’s been us and maybe a half dozen other people at the most

IMG_7962.jpeg

IMG_7963.jpeg

IMG_7960.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7958.jpeg

IMG_7857.jpeg

IMG_7856.jpeg

IMG_7855.jpeg

I’ve been in a suite on the POA and in the Haven on the Bliss and the Escape. Your photo of the breakfast menu made me realize one difference between the suites and the Haven that I had not noticed before. Starbucks coffee is not an additional charge in the Haven. I’m not a coffee drinker, so it doesn’t make a difference to me, but it’s an interesting difference. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

IMG_7962.jpeg

IMG_7963.jpeg

IMG_7960.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7958.jpeg

IMG_7857.jpeg

IMG_7856.jpeg

IMG_7855.jpeg

Thanks for posting. If you get a chance, I’m very curious about the lunch menu. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

I’ve been in a suite on the POA and in the Haven on the Bliss and the Escape. Your photo of the breakfast menu made me realize one difference between the suites and the Haven that I had not noticed before. Starbucks coffee is not an additional charge in the Haven. I’m not a coffee drinker, so it doesn’t make a difference to me, but it’s an interesting difference. 

I'm not either, but my wife gets french press in the cabin and you can get it in the restaurant.

2 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Thanks for posting. If you get a chance, I’m very curious about the lunch menu. 

I'll try to do that Wednesday or Thursday. The internet at least for me in our area has been painfully slow. I've seen "IT" guys working in the forward halls on deck10 since the beginning of the cruise 

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I'll try to do that Wednesday or Thursday. The internet at least for me in our area has been painfully slow. I've seen "IT" guys working in the forward halls on deck10 since the beginning of the cruise 

Thank you.  And I'll be prepared for slow internet in a couple of weeks. 

• Haha 1