Shore excursions

rzb1234

On Oceania Vista- looking forward shore excursions in Palma de Mallorca, Saint Tropez, Olbia/PORTO Cuervo & Messina.

Does anyone have suggestions and weather it would be better just to do any of these on our own? 
thank you

Posted (edited)

Palma is the only one of these that I know (my nephew and his father originate from the island). The city centre is close to the port area. It's a compact, very walkable city which we've visited several times and would easily keep you occupied for the day. 

There is a very extensive Palma thread on the Spain ports forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2697012-palma-de-mallorca-diy-new/page/26/#comment-67371391

Edited by Harters

Posted (edited)

Messina, take a tour.

We have done:

Mt Etna & winery;

Taormina;

Godfather Villages.

Messina, DIY walk up to two churches on the hill, Cathedral and astronomical clock (full sequence only at noon), Cannoli worth a taste.

Edited by Tranquility Base

We were in Palma de Mallorca and Messina two weeks ago on Marina.  Both ports are very easy to visit without a tour or guide.  Oceania provides a free shuttle in Palma that is within two blocks of the Cathedral.  The Arab Baths, Caixa Forum and Palace are within walking distance.  The town is easy to navigate on foot.  Most sights within Messina are with walking distance of the dock including the Cathedral and Campanile, Galleria Victor Emanuelle and Teatro Emanuelle and the Churches.

Joel Barry

Whether you take a cruise line excursion, private tour, of simply go off on your own is simply a personal choice.  DW and I are very independent travelers and have done all of those ports on our own.  So yes, it can be done.  With DIY one can stay near the port, or use trains, rental cars, or public buses to get to desired distinations.

Hank

2 hours ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Oceania provides a free shuttle in Palma that is within two blocks of the Cathedral.  The Arab Baths, Caixa Forum and Palace are within walking distance. 

Agreed.

When I was there wandering the Old Town I visited Basilica de Sant Francesc.

Very interesting; plus when I was there I was the only person visiting for most of the time.

One small correction to all of this. I have never known of Oceania providing a shuttle service in any port that I have visited while cruising with them. The shuttle service has always been provided by the port and/or tourist center. The times of services, quality of services, and drop off destinations are governed by those entities. In some ports, shuttle buses aren’t required because the city has ran subway systems to the port. 

All of this in no way defrays from the convenience of the shuttle service, it just accurately describes who’s providing the service. If the service is great, mediocre, or poor, it’s not Oceania’s doing. Thank the port and/or City that actually provides the service to better attract the cruise ships.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thank the port and/or City that actually provides the service to better attract the cruise ships

This may possibly be time limited. Mallorca has recently seen protests about the negative effects of over tourism, both in Palma and the town of Soller (where my family members come  from). Whilst they have been mainly directed at the bulk of  tourism to the island which is land based, I doubt cruise ships would  escape any moves by the provincial government to restrict overall numbers. 

27 minutes ago, Harters said:

This may possibly be time limited. Mallorca has recently seen protests about the negative effects of over tourism, both in Palma and the town of Soller (where my family members come  from). Whilst they have been mainly directed at the bulk of  tourism to the island which is land based, I doubt cruise ships would  escape any moves by the provincial government to restrict overall numbers. 

Or, if they merely limit or eliminate the port shuttle buses, the cruise ships will stop going there. Problem solved. Still isn’t the cruise lines providing the shuttle services.

I do expect a zealous attack, by some locales, on over tourism. The number of ports allowing the 4000-6000 passenger floating cities to dock will probably be limited in the near future. This is especially the case for those lines noted for seagulls as passengers.  All those “ cruising for the ship” , may well be pleased with more sea days in the future. Some of the river ports inland Europe are already limiting the number of river boats they allow to dock. That one infamous company known to raft up to three boats in a single port, with its fleet of tour buses following along, has worn out its welcome in some areas. 

It seems that more and more ports are trying to limit the number of passengers docking each day and also the number of ‘behemoth’ ships docking.  The overall number of cruisers is expanding rapidly and it seems obvious that something will have to give in the not too distant future.

Whilst cruise passengers might be good for trade in some areas it must be very difficult for small towns, in or near cruise terminals, to be suddenly inundated by thousand upon thousand of ‘day trippers’! 

2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Whilst cruise passengers might be good for trade in some areas it must be very difficult for small towns

I think it's the old problem. If your livelihood is dependent on tourism, then tourists are a good thing. But, if not, then they are a pain in the arse. 

I mentioned Soller upthread where the recent protests have focussed on two elements of over tourism. First is crowded beaches. Second is traffic - I gather the local councils are considering closing the tunnel under the mountain which links the town to the route south across the island. The closure would be at busy times, intended to deter visitors  - the other driving option is a road, with lots of hairpin bends over the mountain (not for the faint hearted).

• Like 2