Medical Question

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Protocol is the physician is the decision maker on all medical issues onboard.  

And that very well could be the answer from the cruise line, but the cruise line still establishes what must be done by the staff and what is discretionary.

Search the forums..there are older topics on cruising with chemo..e.g. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1982207&highlight=chemo

I agree check with doctor and carnival before boarding. But I noticed the forums were positive with living and having fun. Good travel insurance is always good too. I wish you well on your life journey together. 

They also suggest good sunscreen because chemo can make one very sun sensitive. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And that very well could be the answer from the cruise line, but the cruise line still establishes what must be done by the staff and what is discretionary.

The cruise line can not tell a physician they must perform elective surgery.  The physician can refuse boarding to the guest   

Edited by Elaine5715

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The cruise line can not tell a physician they must perform elective surgery.  The physician can refuse boarding to the guest   

That may be, but a passenger can still call to find out if the medical staff can or will provide a certain type of care. The answer may be "it depends on the doctor onboard". But in response to your original statement there are some things that the cruise line mandates have to be done. In any event the only way to find out for sure is for the OP to call the cruise line (I don't think there is anyone in this thread that has said they shouldn't do that and it it wasn't clear from any of my posts it's what I advise as well.) 

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Doctors, in all situations, have the final decision on whether and what care to provide.

The cruise line, as the employer, has the final decision on whether that doctor stays employed.

So yes - the cruise line will not force the doctor to perform any service, but they might fire the doctor for not complying with cruise line procedure.

To give everyone an update, I called Guest Access.  They will contact the ship and speak with the Medical Team to see what the protocol is.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, tauep24 said:

To give everyone an update, I called Guest Access.  They will contact the ship and speak with the Medical Team to see what the protocol is.

Thank you for the update. I hope things work out well for you and you’re able to go on your cruise. 

25 minutes ago, VIFP1987 said:

Thank you for the update. I hope things work out well for you and you’re able to go on your cruise. 

Thank you

Just an FYI physician's do not access ports. RN's do. An MD wouldn't know how to open the packages. LOL... 🤪(no hate, just a solid point).  

The nurses on board would be fully capable because you have to have had ER experience but obviously this would all be a policy issue. I hope it works out for you and your wife! Live life to the fullest. 

Edited by missholly24
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shoptom said:

You might also consider contacting one of the cruises that offer dialysis onboard for a medical vacation.

I do know that RCCL has dialysis units in Oasis class ships.  That said, I would still call/contact any cruise line and ask before making final decision

2 hours ago, tauep24 said:

I actually had to cancel this cruise today due to the fact that the medical staff will not do this.

Well, I am sure you are disappointed, but the question mark has been removed.  Curios, which department did you talk to?  BTW, thanks for the update,

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

So sorry that happened.  Having the port changed while in Honolulu wasn't going to work out for you either?  

No, because it would have been to many days between the changes.