Island Princess Problems

geoherb

I am on the Island Princess now. After reading about it over the last few weeks, I was very concerned about what awaited me onboard. Honestly, it has exceeded my expectations. The service, the crew, the entertainment and people on board are very nice. The food is quite acceptable, and even very good on occasion. The crew is very attentive and I have found my needs quickly met. I haven’t encountered any water leaks or a/c problems.

Yes the decor is dated, but clean and comfortable. My last few cruises have been on Regent and Crystal, yet I would not hesitate to sail on the Island Princess again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

I am on the Island Princess now. After reading about it over the last few weeks, I was very concerned about what awaited me onboard. Honestly, it has exceeded my expectations. The service, the crew, the entertainment and people on board are very nice. The food is quite acceptable, and even very good on occasion. The crew is very attentive and I have found my needs quickly met. I haven’t encountered any water leaks or a/c problems.

Yes the decor is dated, but clean and comfortable. My last few cruises have been on Regent and Crystal, yet I would not hesitate to sail on the Island Princess again.

thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts...much appreciated!

safe travels

I posted a synopsis of my experience on the Princess Cruise passengers complaint forum on Facebook. I ended up removing the post. Those people are vicious. The gist was that I should be thankful for receiving an upgrade and shouldn't have expected any follow-up. 

• Like 1

I would like to know the extent of the problem. Note i'm not minimizing people's concerns but would like to know how many people this happened too. It appears right now there are a few vocal people.

28 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I posted a synopsis of my experience on the Princess Cruise passengers complaint forum on Facebook. I ended up removing the post. Those people are vicious. The gist was that I should be thankful for receiving an upgrade and shouldn't have expected any follow-up. 

Yes, you'll find some sympathetic ears but mostly people want to bash anyone who says anything less than positive.  I hope you did send an email to the Princess execs.  I did see on another thread that someone else received a nice amount of FCC before they disembarked for the problems they had on the same sailing.  Hope Princess will at least do that for you at this point.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I never post reviews for that very reason.  Thank you again for your review, I enjoyed following along.  

• Like 3

Unfortunately some people (lets call them cheerleaders) love to judge other people - especially when the OP states a problem they have had with a cruise line. 

Lets be serious, if anyone has the carpet in their room soaked - management should have addressed this issue way before you got off.

As for those who get personal with their defense of any cruise line on a public forum - ignore them.  Everybody other than others of the same ilk ignores them when they read such posts.

Myself, when I see someone with a complaint I look at their posting history before I even try to form an opinion.  Interesting that doing so provides some insight into most complaints.  If the individual has a number of posts, mostly positive, and they then post a problem they have had, I take the problem as stated.  In other cases, some posters have negative comments about every cruise they have ever taken - then I take their issues with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 6:49 PM, latebuyer said:

Does anyone know what they are doing in dry dock in september? Are the problems isolated to a certain part of the ship?

I would also like to know.  I wish we had a member that had some inside line on the dry dock schedules and some of the rehab details of those drydocks.  I'm pretty sure we used to have a member here that had that insight, I vaguely recall their posts, but they must have moved on.

As @geoherb stated, the ship is unscheduled for 3 weeks in September.  Most dry docks are only 2 weeks in length, so either part of that 3 weeks is moving the ship from the disembarkation port to the dry dock port, or from the dry dock port to the next embarkation port, or a combination of both.  A 3 week dry dock would allow them to do an exceptional amount of work and rehab on to the ship.  It is amazing what can be done in a couple of weeks in dry dock with massive numbers of tradesmen brought on board and an already developed schedule of activities they must accomplish, however, an extra week could really make a huge difference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, you'll find some sympathetic ears but mostly people want to bash anyone who says anything less than positive.  I hope you did send an email to the Princess execs.  I did see on another thread that someone else received a nice amount of FCC before they disembarked for the problems they had on the same sailing.  Hope Princess will at least do that for you at this point.

I'm not really expecting any FCC. The person who posted about receiving some was in a suite. He received more in FCC than I paid for my base fare. I wrote the three Princess execs someone recommended. 

I had a problem with receiving the full amount of what I thought I was due in refundable onboard credit after my Caribbean Princess cruise in August 2022. I filled in the contact form on the Princess website immediately after receiving my final statement that showed me losing $23.21. Someone from Princess finally followed up this week about that complaint, giving me $25 in goodwill OBC on my next cruise. She still could not explain the math to me as to how the determined the amount that was refundable and what they determine was not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

I'm not really expecting any FCC. The person who posted about receiving some was in a suite. He received more in FCC than I paid for my base fare. I wrote the three Princess execs someone recommended. 

I had a problem with receiving the full amount of what I thought I was due in refundable onboard credit after my Caribbean Princess cruise in August 2022. I filled in the contact form on the Princess website immediately after receiving my final statement that showed me losing $23.21. Someone from Princess finally followed up this week about that complaint, giving me $25 in goodwill OBC on my next cruise. She still could not explain the math to me as to how the determined the amount that was refundable and what they determine was not.

When you hear back from Princess I'm fairly certain they will offer you OBC.  That's what they have done for others who have reached out after experiencing similar problems recently.  As for your refund that is insanely long to wait for a response.  I really do wish that Princess would add more staff to their customer service positions so that it wouldn't take reaching out to senior management to get satisfaction.  I know they are strapped financially but there are just some things you shouldn't skimp on if you want to keep your customer base.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

When you hear back from Princess I'm fairly certain they will offer you OBC.  That's what they have done for others who have reached out after experiencing similar problems recently.  As for your refund that is insanely long to wait for a response.  I really do wish that Princess would add more staff to their customer service positions so that it wouldn't take reaching out to senior management to get satisfaction.  I know they are strapped financially but there are just some things you shouldn't skimp on if you want to keep your customer base.

Hmm, if they are strapped financially, they shouldn't dole out such generous compensation packages to their senior mgmt!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1