Viking Ocean cabins facing elevator & stairs lobbies

CCWineLover

Last week I disembarked from Viking Mars and was quite curious about the rooms that face the elevator and stairs lobby.  This was because our room 5028 showed on the Viking Web Site deck plans as facing the elevator lobby.  Pleasantly surprised that it didn't!  Great room, great location.  Being the analytic person I am, and having an unexpected sea day due to ice flows from Greenland, I decided to chart out (with pictures) all the elevator lobbies forward & aft, and the aft stairs.  I did indeed find that the Viking web site deck plans are off, with respect to location vis a vis the lobbies.  (Notable incorrect diagram is deck 8 which sits exactly above deck 7 room by room and Explorers Lounge - somehow they shifted deck 8 on the plan quite a bit).

Pictures all show port side rooms (even numbered), but the same situation exists for corresponding starboard side rooms (odd numbered).

I hope that this helps people in their plans. 🙂

Viking Ocean Cabins Facing Elevators+Stairs.pdfViking Ocean Cruises - Deck Plans 3-8.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Now that you point that out, as we were in 4027 on the Mars, it was a little further off that lobby than it looks in the diagram. Plus, there's actually a door that was just next to our cabin, heading towards the stairs. Of course, it wasn't closed ever, but just pointing that out. We never heard anything from the stairs/elevators.

11 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Last week I disembarked from Viking Mars and was quite curious about the rooms that face the elevator and stairs lobby.  This was because our room 5028 showed on the Viking Web Site deck plans as facing the elevator lobby.  Pleasantly surprised that it didn't!  Great room, great location.  Being the analytic person I am, and having an unexpected sea day due to ice flows from Greenland, I decided to chart out (with pictures) all the elevator lobbies forward & aft, and the aft stairs.  I did indeed find that the Viking web site deck plans are off, with respect to location vis a vis the lobbies.  (Notable incorrect diagram is deck 8 which sits exactly above deck 7 room by room and Explorers Lounge - somehow they shifted deck 8 on the plan quite a bit).

Pictures all show port side rooms (even numbered), but the same situation exists for corresponding starboard side rooms (odd numbered).

Viking Ocean Cabins Facing Elevators+Stairs.pdf 973.95 kB · 2 downloads Viking Ocean Cruises - Deck Plans 3-8.pdf 1.04 MB · 2 downloads

Nice analysis. Thank you.  Looks like I will be seeing you on the Hawaii Sojourn in Jan!

• Like 1

Well, you promised but didn't expect so soon.  This is really great information and I will keep.

Confirms I made the right decision on a recent cabin change for one of our upcomiong cruises.  Thank you so much. Very impressive. 

I just did a quick check of the new Vela deckplans to see how they compare.  I know it is longer and a little wider with a little different distribution of catagories and sizes so would assume the Vela deckplans would be a little different.  It looks to me like they used the existing deck plans and just added cabins to the aft. The elevator/stairs lobbies look the same.  Guess we will have to wait until someone is on board and can make a comparison between your list/pictures and the Vela.  

CC, Good reason for you to book a cruise (if you haven't already) on the Vela😄.  Actually I am researching for 2026 and looking at Vela itinerary so that's why I looked at the deckplans.    

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I just did a quick check of the new Vela deckplans to see how they compare.  I know it is longer and a little wider with a little different distribution of catagories and sizes so would assume the Vela deckplans would be a little different.  It looks to me like they used the existing deck plans and just added cabins to the aft. The elevator/stairs lobbies look the same.  Guess we will have to wait until someone is on board and can make a comparison between your list/pictures and the Vela.  

CC, Good reason for you to book a cruise (if you haven't already) on the Vela😄.  Actually I am researching for 2026 and looking at Vela itinerary so that's why I looked at the deckplans.    

Thanks!  Yes, we've researched the new ships. That's also why I indicated my charts were for the "Star" class.  There will be no more Star class ships.  There were 10 produced with 1 (the Sun) going to China and renamed.  So Viking has 9 Star ships in service.  I also listed them in the order they came available.

We already have booked on the new Vesta - Malta cruise in March 2026.   I agree, it appears the front of the ship maps the same.  However, I had thought the rooms were slightly bigger-perhaps that is in depth not width.  We'll have to see!

Edited by CCWineLover

16 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks!  Yes, we've researched the new ships. That's also why I indicated my charts were for the "Star" class.  There will be no more Star class ships.  There were 10 produced with 1 (the Sun) going to China and renamed.  So Viking has 9 Star ships in service.  I also listed them in the order they came available.

We already have booked on the new Vesta - Malta cruise in March 2026.   I agree, it appears the front of the ship maps the same.  However, I had thought the rooms were slightly bigger-perhaps that is in depth not width.  We'll have to see!

Yes, depth vs width will be the question.  We like DV6 or DV4 which looks like 18SF more. Hard to visualize.  I think width (foot of bed to wall) would be nice and could be since the ship is longer. We're looking at July '26.  Really hate to book 2 years out but the DV6 portsides are going already.  Thought we might wait and book on board next February but it's a gamble with price and availability.   You are more experienced with Viking than us.  Any thoughts about that?

11 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

We've had cabins right by the elevators twice and found them to be pretty quiet.  Low passenger load and no kids certainly helps and for those directionally challenged makes it easy to find your cabin.

Actually I was asking your advise about early booking vs the waiting game for price and availability. We’ve only done 1 Viking with 2 booked. We were in 3041 Star and loved the location and vibe of Deck 3. 

On 6/15/2024 at 5:26 PM, CCWineLover said:

Viking Ocean Cabins Facing Elevators+Stairs.pdf 973.95 kB · 143 downloads Viking Ocean Cruises - Deck Plans 3-8.pdf 1.04 MB · 70 downloads

Great job Kent!

• Like 1

We have booked #5028 on the Saturn for this October, knowing we would be facing the elevator lobby area.  This was the last PV room, so we grabbed it.  On other Viking cruises we noticed the elevator lobby area was generally quiet, but there are exceptions.

Your first hand analysis was a pleasant surprise, indicating no rooms on the fifth floor forward facing the elevator.

Now your pictures and diagram are priceless and a keeper.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

We have booked #5028 on the Saturn for this October, knowing we would be facing the elevator lobby area.  This was the last PV room, so we grabbed it.  On other Viking cruises we noticed the elevator lobby area was generally quiet, but there are exceptions.

Your first hand analysis was a pleasant surprise, indicating no rooms on the fifth floor forward facing the elevator.

Now your pictures and diagram are priceless and a keeper.

I think you'll enjoy 5028, which is exactly where we were on Viking Mars a week ago!  You'll be facing feet to the bow and heads to the stern.  Great location and easy access.  Take the "express lanes" to the aft elevators and stairs to get to the restaurants.  (Meaning go straight down the 5th floor corridor to the back).   Laundry is very close by, and just a couple flights up to Explorer's Lounge and Wintergarden!    5028/5029 tend to be the last ones taken (likely due to the bad Viking diagram), so now it's our little secret.

Edited by CCWineLover

I guess I should thank Viking for the slightly off position of the Stateroom Diagrams, since no one wanted a stateroom door facing the elevator lobby in my 5th floor case.  We have 4 Viking Ocean cruises booked over the next 2 years.  You and I may be similar in our approach in analytics which drives my wife crazy.  I already know our future flight routings, based on connection times, equipment used, and which connection gives us the best backup plan.  It helps to stay with one airline.  And yes flights are not posted out for 2 years, but I check on the current routings published and the current equipment used.  Having access to the sky lounge helps for connections.

On 6/15/2024 at 5:26 PM, CCWineLover said:

Viking Ocean Cabins Facing Elevators+Stairs.pdf 973.95 kB · 151 downloads Viking Ocean Cruises - Deck Plans 3-8.pdf 1.04 MB · 75 downloads

Thanks for the report!  One question on deck 7.  You show 7017 as full facing...is that the Owners Suite?  Which would be the one and only cabin on the starboard side there I believe. All else being port side.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, island lady said:

Thanks for the report!  One question on deck 7.  You show 7017 as full facing...is that the Owners Suite?  Which would be the one and only cabin on the starboard side there I believe. All else being port side.  

Owner’s Suite entrance is between the Explorers Lounge (it shares the conference room fireplace) and the rest rooms. Its designation is OS.

7017 must be a typo. 7014 maybe?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Thank you for catching my mistake!   There is no 7017.  I will remove it.

The owners suite is 7001 and is further forward of the bathrooms towards the Explorer's Lounge.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Owner’s Suite entrance is between the Explorers Lounge (it shares the conference room fireplace) and the rest rooms. Its designation is OS.

7017 must be a typo. 7014 maybe?

We will be in 7016...I am pretty sure that is direct facing of the elevator lobby.  And actually I think the OS will get most of the food/foot traffic on the starboard side.... going into Mamsen's on that side.  

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We will be in 7016...I am pretty sure that is direct facing of the elevator lobby.  And actually I think the OS will get most of the food/foot traffic on the starboard side.... going into Mamsen's on that side.  

Yes, see my picture.  7016 does face the lobby..

But, you should be fine!  Yes, all the traffic goes on the starboard side!  The only passenger cabin on the starboard side is 7001, the owner's suite. (which is forward closer to Mamsen's.   The only traffic on port hallway of 7th floor are those that live there. 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, see my picture.  7016 does face the lobby..

But, you should be fine!  Yes, all the traffic goes on the starboard side!  The only passenger cabin on the starboard side is 7001, the owner's suite. (which is forward closer to Mamsen's.   The only traffic on port hallway of 7th floor are those that live there. 🙂

Thanks!  Yes, I just now scrolled down and found those pictures.  🙂