Review: QM2 TA - June 9th to 15th

*Miss G*

Oh my gosh!!  Do you know… as I was passing by each frieze, I kept telling myself I would come back to study them, as they were all so gorgeous!  I never did get that opportunity, so I put it on my adventure list for another sailing.  I would never have guessed there would be a Homer Simpson!  That would have been a fun find.  Thank you, @3rdGenCunarder and @Pushpit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh my gosh!!  Do you know… as I was passing by each frieze, I kept telling myself I would come back to study them, as they were all so gorgeous!  I never did get that opportunity, so I put it on my adventure list for another sailing.  I would never have guessed there would be a Homer Simpson!  That would have been a fun find.  Thank you, @3rdGenCunarder and @Pushpit.

In the meantime, try and go into the Cunard Building, Bowling Green, New York. It's a national monument so they have to let you in, even though it's privately owned (and not by Carnival unfortunately). The extraordinary and huge interior murals and panels were the historical context to what now you see on QM2. But I'll spare you this much, you won't find Homer in the Cunard Building.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

But I'll spare you this much, you won't find Homer in the Cunard Building.

Well, that’s a relief!  😂  I can honestly say that I’ve never seen The Simpsons and I have no desire to.  I imagine, eons from now, archaeologists will be wondering “What on  Earth?” and wonder what the connection is.  (I still don’t know, unless it’s some kind of “tribute” to the US?)

Thank you for the information on the Cunard Building, Bowling Green!  It looks easily accessible and is also across from the National Museum of the American Indian, which also interests me. I shall put it on the agenda!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Well, that’s a relief!  😂  I can honestly say that I’ve never seen The Simpsons and I have no desire to.  I imagine, eons from now, archaeologists will be wondering “What on  Earth?” and wonder what the connection is.  (I still don’t know, unless it’s some kind of “tribute” to the US?)

Thank you for the information on the Cunard Building, Bowling Green!  It looks easily accessible and is also across from the National Museum of the American Indian, which also interests me. I shall put it on the agenda!

We didn't watch the Simpsons, either, but DH always made a point of looking for Homer. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

the National Museum of the American Indian

The museum is in an old Customs House, which probably dates from the same era as the Cunard Building. It's a gorgeous building with some evocative murals of ships and commerce, so it's worth a visit if only to see the building!

PXL_20230119_193401023.jpg

PXL_20230119_193158080.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, frankp01 said:

The museum is in an old Customs House, which probably dates from the same era as the Cunard Building. It's a gorgeous building with some evocative murals of ships and commerce, so it's worth a visit if only to see the building!

PXL_20230119_193401023.jpg

PXL_20230119_193158080.jpg

Wow.  What a ceiling!  Somebody needs to get up there and change some lightbulbs.  😂  I am always amazed by the architecture of old buildings and the money which must have been poured into them.  I was saying to my sister, as we travelled around England, that I would love to be present back in their heyday.  Not to stay, mind you.  I much prefer the present-day standards.  Especially as a female!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day Three, continued

I keep hearing comments mentioning “G32”.  I have no idea what or where that is, nor do I know what the G and 32 stands for.  I decide that will be my next Great Adventure.

I study the deck plans.  Here it is.  G32; Deck 3L.  3L?  So it’s on Deck 3 but not really?  I am confused.  How do I get there?  Head Aft on Deck 3, turn left, go down a mini flight of stairs, turn right, walk through the Queen’s Room.  Hey, look, I found the Queen’s Room!

IMG_9655.thumb.jpeg.5d5370e6775c91a550bfcd5bc1951724.jpeg

I walk through the Queen’s Room and go through the doors:

IMG_9654.thumb.jpeg.0eaa1bc19d1cadb37ed321e24ee72949.jpeg

Then I go through these doors:

IMG_9653.thumb.jpeg.dfea024fd1ca07133bdb8ca75758ab2c.jpeg

Et voilà, I am inside G32!

IMG_9650.thumb.jpeg.b800e0ae992b3757a396060a6732ea73.jpeg

It appears to be some sort of nightclub.  I check my daily.  Oh look!  Captain Chris Rigby is about to give a talk on Aviation Insights!  Sounds like it might be interesting.  I head upstairs and take a seat.  If I am in any doubt that I am not in G32, this confirms it:

IMG_9652.thumb.jpeg.fe4479c2b054b7490d9fbc2176af0889.jpeg

Captain Rigby’s lecture was very interesting.  It appears I should have attended his previous talks as he makes reference to items he’s already discussed.  I kick myself for not attending previous lectures.  It sounds like I have missed out.

Captain Rigby’s lecture over, it’s now lunchtime!  I head upstairs for cheese and crackers then back to my room for a little organization.  The bed-of-cloud is calling to me but I resist its allure.  As much as I’d like to, I have things to do, people to see, places to discover!  There is now precious little time to do so and I want to make the most of it.

I am determined to catch the presentation of Twelfth Night, put on by The Mill at Sonning Theatre and Pursuit Theatre.  I keep missing their varied presentations due to timing.  I particularly wanted to go to Ghost Night!  They also did a series of insider talks and classes.  From all accounts, they were great fun.  Alas, this would be my only time to see them, so get there I would.

I check the deck plans at the elevator.  Carinthia Lounge, Deck 7 Forward.  Sounds easy enough.  Here we are; The Carinthia Lounge.  

At lunch in the Britannia restaurant, I had been seated next to a couple who were super nice.  From that moment on, I would continue to run into them and we’d have some great chats.  I really enjoyed their company!  

I earmarked my seating target and made a beeline.  As I sat down, I hear “Miss G!”  Hello my new friends! There they are, sitting next to me.  Talk about a coincidence!

There was also another couple at our table for six.  Well, when I say another couple, it was actually just one half of a couple.  At first.  It wasn’t until the husband disappeared and then returned a bit later, with his wife, that I realized it was a couple.  She had been locked in the handicapped bathroom for almost 20 minutes!  She said she’d been knocking and calling and staff had tried to get her out but had been unsuccessful.  When her husband disappeared, it was because she had managed to contact him via text.  Somehow, the matter was resolved and she was freed from captivity.  What a relief!  And also great adventure fodder.  Make sure you don’t use the handicapped bathroom by the Carinthia Lounge!  Fair warning.

The presentation of Twelfth Night began.  The multi-talented cast had chosen to set their immersive production in the 1930’s.  It was unique, well-done, and very entertaining.  I took a few pictures, as an after-thought, so I apologize that this is the only one which turned out, as I had to be on my toes.  Speaking of toes… here are some.  I shall leave what little is left to your imagination.

IMG_9663.thumb.jpeg.95f1ca22e1e45dec8fc6bc888b26a73d.jpeg

Good night, Queen Mary 2.  I will see you in the morning.

IMG_9671.thumb.jpeg.7937df5fdfcf786717f9d3d0012ac835.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was wondering if we had crossed paths on the ship and it appears we came close. My wife and I are in your G32 picture. I never would have caught it if you hadn't mentioned that it was during Captain Chris' lecture. We are down stairs in the picture and can see the back of our heads. 

Two thousand people sounds like a lot but it is surprising how often we meet the same people over and over on a Crossing. 

Jack

• Like 2

G32 was the ship's hull number when she was being built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique's shipyard in Saint-Nazaire. She would have been known as that until fairly late into the construction, but the nightclub area known as G32 would have been one of the first areas to be built.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Well, I was wondering if we had crossed paths on the ship and it appears we came close. My wife and I are in your G32 picture. I never would have caught it if you hadn't mentioned that it was during Captain Chris' lecture. We are down stairs in the picture and can see the back of our heads. 

Two thousand people sounds like a lot but it is surprising how often we meet the same people over and over on a Crossing. 

Jack

Oh my goodness!  Isn’t that funny.  No wonder I didn’t recognize your face!  😂

• Like 1

Just now, Pushpit said:

G32 was the ship's hull number when she was being built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique's shipyard in Saint-Nazaire. She would have been known as that until fairly late into the construction, but the nightclub area known as G32 would have been one of the first areas to be built.

Thank you so much!  That is a very interesting detail to know.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DAY FOUR - AT SEA, BUT GOING NOWHERE

Thursday, June 13th

Today I sleep in.  It is 7:00am and we appear to have stopped.  I step outside to have a look.  Yes, we are definitely idling.  There is nothing to see as we are surrounded by fog and rain:

IMG_9672.thumb.jpeg.14afae3868324d66c02676bc6720ac4c.jpeg

Are we near an iceberg?  Is someone coming to rescue us?  Do they even know where we are?  This fog is very dense.  I know we have power as everything seems to be working and something is keeping us fairly stationary.  

I come back inside to check the voyage information from the bridge:

IMG_9676.thumb.jpeg.103087e900c92cfbcaa7026c77b189f1.jpeg

We have done a loop-de-loop:

IMG_9747.thumb.jpeg.f3a73e9e4b432e4f0b5560fe39ac9af9.jpeg

I have no idea how long we have been sitting here but someone mentions that he noticed we were stopped at 2:00am and someone else said they were up at 5:00am and we were still stopped.

In Sir Samuels I can see a panel removed from one of the columns.  A tech person is connected to the ethernet port inside and is steadily working away.  I study his face.  With a career in IT administration, I can tell the difference between concern and routine.  The tech has routine-face and I know we are okay.

I am outside on deck at 8:30am.  We have started moving again!  The Captain announces the technical issues at 9:00am and reports everything has been resolved.  It seems we needed to stop in order to reset the power management system.  All is well once again.

I walk the decks in the cold and rain in my new fuzzy sweater.

IMG_9677.thumb.jpeg.90b3a2d17a30b05173f2f4d919d2a86c.jpeg

Chilled, now, I head inside to see what’s on offer at the King’s Court buffet.  They have Chinese noodle soup!  YUM!  It is hot and tasty and just what I needed.

It’s off for more walkies!  Down on Deck 3L, I find a quiet row of chairs along the hull.  They get me close to the sea and I am drawn in.  This is perfect!  I take a seat to enjoy the wave action and the beautiful aquamarine colours.  The ship cuts through the surge gracefully.  It is both magnificent and mesmerizing.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thursday, June 13th

Today I sleep in.  It is 7:00am and we appear to have stopped.  I step outside to have a look.  Yes, we are definitely idling.  There is nothing to see as we are surrounded by fog and rain:

Are we near an iceberg?  Is someone coming to rescue us?  Do they even know where we are?  This fog is very dense.  I know we have power as everything seems to be working and something is keeping us fairly stationary.  

I have no idea how long we have been sitting here but someone mentions that he noticed we were stopped at 2:00am and someone else said they were up at 5:00am and we were still stopped.

In Sir Samuels I can see a panel removed from one of the columns.  A tech person is connected to the ethernet port inside and is steadily working away.  I study his face.  With a career in IT administration, I can tell the difference between concern and routine.  The tech has routine-face and I know we are okay.

I am outside on deck at 8:30am.  We have started moving again!  The Captain announces the technical issues at 9:00am and reports everything has been resolved.  It seems we needed to stop in order to reset the power management system.  All is well once again.

Chilled, now, I head inside to see what’s on offer at the King’s Court buffet.  They have Chinese noodle soup!  YUM!  It is hot and tasty and just what I needed.

It’s off for more walkies!  Down on Deck 3L, I find a quiet row of chairs along the hull.  They get me close to the sea and I am drawn in.  This is perfect!  I take a seat to enjoy the wave action and the beautiful aquamarine colours.  The ship cuts through the surge gracefully.  It is both magnificent and mesmerizing.

IMG_9713.mov 35.05 MB · 12 downloads

the Deck 3 chairs are one of my favourite spots to sit and read, you get such a sense of the power of the ocean. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thursday, June 13th

Edited by Pear Carr
Sound not deleted

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thursday, June 13th

IMG_9713.mov 35.05 MB · 16 downloads

Wait 'til you see it in a force 12 storm, it's spectacular

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rakkor said:

Wait 'til you see it in a force 12 storm, it's spectacular

As much as I’d love to be at sea during a hurricane (not), I think I’ll pass.  😂 It sounds like you have some stories!

@Miss G, thank you so much for your continued updates!  I’m thoroughly enjoying reading your perspective and witty comments!  Keep them coming! 💛. Counting down to my own crossing in November! 

Edward

• Like 1

10 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

As much as I’d love to be at sea during a hurricane (not), I think I’ll pass.  😂 It sounds like you have some stories!

I'd convinced myself that on our 2019 crossing/Caribbean cruise, QM2 has hardly been affected by the hurricane, but on re-reading my blog it turns out the ship was trying to throw me out of be during that night, it was mesmerizing watching the sea crashing against those big picture windows though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rakkor said:

I'd convinced myself that on our 2019 crossing/Caribbean cruise, QM2 has hardly been affected by the hurricane, but on re-reading my blog it turns out the ship was trying to throw me out of be during that night, it was mesmerizing watching the sea crashing against those big picture windows though.

I’ve been thrown out of bed on a couple of the Vista ships (Holland America)!  On the QV, one Christmas, crossing the Bay of Biscay was CRAZY.  The troughs were so deep that the waves were going ABOVE the Golden Lion and it looked like we were underwater.  Hardly anyone was out and about so it felt like a private yacht.  Got some great videos on that trip!  The Vista ships are excellent at handling extreme marine conditions. 

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

DAY FIVE - FINAL DAY AT SEA

Friday, June 14th

It is a hazy morning:

IMG_2325.thumb.jpeg.74667d5613519de047e305218b0d4681.jpeg

Last night was the Masquerade Ball.  I was curious as to how people would dress.  Would they wear masks?  If so, what kind of masks would they be?  I, myself, did not intend to wear one.  It is a thing I have.  I hate anything on my head.  But I love when other people do!

Everyone was dressed lovely and there were more masks than I thought there would be.  What fun!

Following coffee in Sir Samuel’s I head out for my morning walk.  There is quite a breeze and the morning haze has turned into fog.  I did not go in any of the pools or hot tubs but there were a number of people who did.  Hats off to them!

Apologies for my lack of video skills.  If you have the sound on you can hear the wind.  We were travelling at a good pace to make up some time.

In the King’s Court buffet I gather up the morning’s breakfast.  Fresh fruit, plain omelette, smoked salmon, and cheese has become my morning go-to.  They have run out of brie! Can I also mention that the melon slices have been delicious throughout this cruise?  They are perfectly ripe with so much flavour.  Yum!

Back in my cabin I find the dreaded luggage mat on my bed.  It is a sad reminder that the sailing is almost over.  I pull out my cases and begin to pack.  The large one will need to go out before 11:00pm.  Organization is key.  I mustn’t forget to keep a set of clothing out for tomorrow’s disembarkation!  Same with toiletries.  Can you imagine if I forget to do that?  Awkward!

At 2:00pm I am off to listen to Ruben Fischer’s Classical Guitar performance in the Royal Court Theatre.  Ruben Fischer is very talented and personable.

Leaving the theatre, it is time for the Guest Choir performance!  I watch them set up in the Grand Lobby and stay for a few songs.  They were very good!

It is the final meal in the Britannia restaurant.  Booo.  I will miss you, Dream Team.  😭

It is only now, while reviewing the Daily Programme, that I notice there was a silent disco that evening!  Darn it.  I would have loved to have seen it, and maybe even participated, but I need to get my evening clothes into the case and out to the corridor.  Many people were way ahead of me this afternoon so I am feeling the pressure.

Goodnight, Queen Mary.  I shall see you in the morning.

IMG_9763.thumb.jpeg.40f14f2f0e82783cd00cd3a95f372294.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Following coffee in Sir Samuel’s I head out for my morning walk. 

This will be our routine as well. We are so excited to walk a proper promenade! Does Sir Samuel's serve any breakfast items? 

It is so sad when the luggage mat and disembarkation instructions turn up on the bed!! You have posted the most gorgeous sunrise/sunset photos. Thank you for sharing!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RK-NC said:

Does Sir Samuel's serve any breakfast items? 

All I saw were pastries.  There is a glass cabinet at the entrance to see what’s on offer.  Since I am not a big fan of sweet things, I never tried any.  A breakfast croissant, with ham, egg, or bacon would not have gone amiss!  I definitely would have consumed one of those.  That’s why I am looking forward to trying the Carinthia Lounge offerings next time.  I am hoping that they have savoury dishes instead.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RK-NC said:

This will be our routine as well. We are so excited to walk a proper promenade! Does Sir Samuel's serve any breakfast items? 

Normally they do a few light bite breakfast items, such as muffins and Danish. It seems the same, but more restricted, than the items available in Carinthia, so it would be better to go there - and the promenade deck is right next to Carinthia. People sometimes miss the options in Carinthia, though it is listed in the Daily Programme. They food section is to the right of the main bar and away from the walk through routes, hence it's not noticed so much. The coffee in Sir Samuels and Carinthia is identical, same machinery and same beans (subject to any changes that may have happened with the introduction of Union Coffee).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DAY SIX - DISEMBARKATION

Saturday, June 15th:

I am up early in order to ensure I have breakfast and am out of my room by 9:00am.  It is a beautiful day, and it is finally warm out!  Time to put away the sweater.  There is a Destroyer behind us but it backs off as we enter inland waters.

IMG_9776.thumb.jpeg.707447598a9b8a5432c21f1adc08360f.jpeg

The time spent idling in the Mid-Atlantic has delayed our arrival by 4 hours.  We had been moving at a good clip to make up for lost time, but not enough to get us to port on schedule.  Behind the scenes I know that there has been a flurry of logistical activity to accommodate the changes.  I feel bad for those who have been scrambling to change departure plans.  I am thankful that I am not among them.

I would love to forego breakfast and have a leisurely coffee in Sir Samuel’s but that would mean an empty stomach for a number of hours.  That’s not going to cut it for me.  I head to the King’s Court and find they have no coffee.  What the… ?!  Not one of the machines I investigate are working and I am unable to get the attention of someone who could provide one. Dejected, I am on my way to the aft pool when I spy a thermos.  Can it be?  Yes!  Someone has left a thermos by the coffee machine and it is full!  I will now be able to function.

Ironically, I have found the mushrooms and the grilled tomatoes.  Figures that would happen on the last day.  They had been “hidden” around a bend that I never took a look at.  Good to know for next time!

The Captain has reminded everyone to clear their rooms by 9:00am so the stewards can get to work with turnaround day.  It is suggested that we make use of the lounges while we wait.  I am not a fan of being trapped inside when I can be outside.  I grab my things and head out to the Terrace Pool.  From here, I will be able to watch the sail-in.  

At 9:00am we pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

IMG_9782.thumb.jpeg.8c98f10ac7d150ac285ce5b711499eb3.jpeg

At 9:30am we are passing the Statue of Liberty.

IMG_9808.thumb.jpeg.3bde54f1bb117308abc40c05521133b6.jpeg

Hello, Manhattan.  How pretty you are.

IMG_9818.thumb.jpeg.ba6bd0dd7bbeba3734c790ed84189da9.jpeg

By 10:00am we are reversing into position at Red Hook:

IMG_9833.thumb.jpeg.da261c50476bc7724366bdfc318edad1.jpeg

• Like 9