Entertainment tipping

I have seen hundred dollar tips at our local restaurant, interesting story one of the piano players who plays there has been a piano player for 65 years , he was playing at a upscale hotel many decades ago and Mick Jagger came in with his then wife , who lived in Dallas and requested Satisfaction, Jagger said don’t you dare and tipped him a hundred and asked him to play Sinatra. 

On 6/17/2024 at 7:48 PM, BND said:

We go to the Schooner Bar all the time on every cruise (almost every night) and I have yet to see anyone "buy" a song.  People sit and listen, some walk up during the performance and drop cash in.  Other's drop one in as they are leaving.  They take requests from those in the bar area.

And thats the way it should be. Should be free to request a song and tip if you want to for the entertainment not blatantly requesting money to play songs. 

After all no one tips the guys putting out the sunbeds in nice neat rows in the mornings.....🤔

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 12:33 AM, LobsterStalker said:

I can do you 1 better than this . On a Norwegian cruise in 2018 I was at dueling pianos , and someone tipped a 5 with their request . As he started playing the song and was about 20 seconds in he realized it was not a fan favorite , he says " someone tip me another $5 and i'll stop"

someone quickly hands him a 5 and he moves to the next song. 

I thought that was quite classless to say the least ! , 

Cheers

Wow i agree thats just rude tbh. Id walk out of that place. Even if i didnt like the original song id still respect people who did request it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

After all no one tips the guys putting out the sunbeds in nice neat rows in the mornings.....🤔

Be careful. Someone will come along soon that’ll be disgusted that you don’t tip them. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

And thats the way it should be. Should be free to request a song and tip if you want to for the entertainment not blatantly requesting money to play songs. 

Please don't give the tip shamers any ideas!!  

2 hours ago, dramamommao said:

I can personally attest to the fact that the pub and schooner bar players are not "highly paid".  Most of them are from USA, UK, or other country that have a fairly high cost of living.  Its not comparable to the other employees who are from say India where the salary earned onboard goes a lot further.  In most cases, the salary for a musician pays the rent and electric bill, the tips cover living expenses for when they are off the ship...they have to take time off at some point. 

Here's the thing- if a person from a major economy is working on a ship, it's because they could not find a better job on land.  I worked with a guy who's son was a jazz sax player, who really struggled to get by- but chose to work in New York.  It's a really hard gig to survive on.

Working on the ship may pay a little less, but it also provides some benefits that you don't have to pay for, especially NYC prices.  It's not perfect, and it's not easy to live on a ship- but compared to the struggle living in metro NY, it can be a whole lot better.

And the more you work on a ship, the better it gets- as it's the first contract that is the lowest one.  I saw one person who's second contract was about double the first given what they demonstrated and then the added things they were able to do.

Entertainers are not a tipped position, and there should not be a trend to start it to be- as it will result in some really odd performances.  If you want to tip them, that's awesome.  But there isn't shame at all for not.  

• Like 2

On 6/19/2024 at 9:05 AM, Merion_Mom said:

Have you people never listened to the song 

PIANO MAN?!?!?!??!

🤣🤣🤣

Yes (great song) and he also has a net worth of $250,000,000.  Those Madison Square Garden folks are very good tippers!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:31 AM, dramamommao said:

I'm sad to see this thread go the same way just about every tipping thread goes with both sides of the spectrum pointing at the other and saying "wrong!".  As I stated in my earlier post, RCI is an American based company and works off that business model.  Like it or hate it, just the way it is. 

I can personally attest to the fact that the pub and schooner bar players are not "highly paid".  Most of them are from USA, UK, or other country that have a fairly high cost of living.  Its not comparable to the other employees who are from say India where the salary earned onboard goes a lot further.  In most cases, the salary for a musician pays the rent and electric bill, the tips cover living expenses for when they are off the ship...they have to take time off at some point. 

Yes yes...they choose to be musicians, their fault, etc.  But without them I know my cruises would be a much duller experience.

Tip how you feel compelled to (or not).  Either way, mentioning any entertainer by name in the survey is definitely appreciated and costs nothing but a few minutes.  

We can all agree to disagree, and still share the seats around the piano 🙂

BTW- the example at the dueling pianos that was given is definitely not allowed ("$$ or we won't play for you") and is distasteful.

And by what authority are you stating it is not allowed , because it happens clearly and blatently . However , you may be interpreting it differently than them... It's not necessarily $$ or we won't play... Rather , picking and choosing which songs they may pick , and "coincidentally" the majority of the picks may come under larger bills !

Cheers

6 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

As the old song goes…..”That’s life!”

One moment you find a hat full of money! The next, you are being chased down the street by some guy with a guitar? 🤷‍♂️

Pretty hard to be chased by some guy with a piano.

On 6/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, LobsterStalker said:

I can do you 1 better than this . On a Norwegian cruise in 2018 I was at dueling pianos , and someone tipped a 5 with their request . As he started playing the song and was about 20 seconds in he realized it was not a fan favorite , he says " someone tip me another $5 and i'll stop"

someone quickly hands him a 5 and he moves to the next song. 

I thought that was quite classless to say the least ! , 

Cheers

If I had paid $5 for a song and he did that, I would grab my five back and walk out. Then I'd talk to the entertainment manager on the ship. He shouldn't have embarrassed someone that is paying part of his salary!