Does Royal ever add additional spots for excursions?

We booked some excursions for our upcoming cruise in September, but were late in the game for one of the ports.  Does Royal ever open up additional spots for excursions once they sell out?

I believe they keep some spots for booking while on board, but I'm not completely sure.  I do know that for our Alaska cruise we tried to book an excursion for my ex-husband and his father.  At the time, there was only one space left to book it online.  We called in and they were able to get it booked for both people.  So, it may be worth a phone call to see if there are some spots available on the excursion you are interested in.

1 hour ago, KimA75 said:

I believe they keep some spots for booking while on board, but I'm not completely sure.

I don't think so -- what would they gain by saying NO to people who want to sign up /want to give them money today?  

If spaces open up, it's probably because people changed their mind about the excursion -- either decided to do something else or decided to do the same thing through an independent tour company.  

In fact, that's a good idea for you:  Investigate whether this same activity is available through a private tour guide.  Smaller groups, more options, and lower prices -- almost always a better experience.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't think so -- what would they gain by saying NO to people who want to sign up /want to give them money today?  

Because they can charge more once people are on board and there are always people that wait until they board to book these.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KimA75 said:

Because they can charge more once people are on board and there are always people that wait until they board to book these.

For-sure money today vs. possible money tomorrow. 

Admittedly, I don't have the Business Gene in my brain, but passing up reservations doesn't make sense to me.  If they tell planners, "No, you can't have Choice 1", a lot of them will go reserve Choice 2 or go with an independent tour -- rather than waiting and hoping for an onboard spot. 

No evidence.  This is just what makes sense to me. 

If it’s something that you really want to do, call and ask.  If the answer is no then get your name on a wait list when you get on board.  They often have a cancellation.  However you should probably have a back up plan if this doesn’t work. 

16 hours ago, KimA75 said:

I believe they keep some spots for booking while on board, but I'm not completely sure.  I do know that for our Alaska cruise we tried to book an excursion for my ex-husband and his father.  At the time, there was only one space left to book it online.  We called in and they were able to get it booked for both people.  So, it may be worth a phone call to see if there are some spots available on the excursion you are interested in.

I have never seen a sold out excursion prior to a cruise have availability on the ship. However, I am sure it happens occasionally when someone who booked an excursion prior to the cruise cancels it on the ship. 

21 hours ago, KimA75 said:

Excursion prices on board are generally the same as pre cruise; Royal (or any other business) isn't going to delay revenue like that.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the excursion.  If it involves a bus or van-type vehicle, if it's full then no unless they have several more people then they can sometimes get a larger vehicle.  I think hoping for a cancelation if probably right.  I would try to get to the excursion desk on day 1 oe 2 and see what is really available.